Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-23-2012, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Exclamation 2005 X5 Blowing white smoke, ALREADY had Turbo and PCV replaced

Hello...
Hope that someone can please HELP :-(

We have a 2005 BMW Diesel X5.
It runs like a dream, but we recently had the turbo and pcv valve replaced by a bmw dealer because there was a small oil leak and then it blew alot of white smoke. Less than 2000km after replacement, it is now blowing white smoke again. It only does it when you really put your foot down for rapid accelaration. Otherwise if you drive smoothly there is no smoke. In both situations there is no loss of power.

History: We purchased the car in March 2012 and had it given a full service by a mechanic my hubby knows and trusts. He said there was a leak in the turbo and advised us to get it done at BMW. We got a quote at BMW Southbank to replace the Turbo and PCV valve, plus parts and labour for $4757. We decided to get a few other quotes. (It was not blowing smoke at this time, just a leak. Acouple weeks later i was driving and it was a cold night, as I got a green light I accelerated and white smoke poured out. The next day I arranged BMW Geelong to perform the work they did it for $3050 (apparently BMW headoffice was able to match the price of the turbo I had got somewhere else, I aksed them to match it and they did)

Approx. 149,000km on the odometer now.
Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i
White smoke is diagnostic of a failing/plugged CCV. You say you had the "PCV" replaced (which on a BMW is usually the CCV) but there are associated parts that can go bad. In the US, dealers usually charge about $800 for CCV and associated parts replacement. Can't speak to your region (you have a TD so I'm guessing you're not in the US). Take it back and ask them to check as this should cure the white smoke problem.
2005 Prius
2001 BMW 530i
1999 Lexus RX300