Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: Ml350
X5 vs VW Touareg

How do they compare? Sound off
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Disregard......I found this from Feb 2011........

I've owned V8 Touareg for the past five years and have loved it. Best SUV I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few.

But I'm replacing it with an X5, here's why:
Warranty. BMW 48 months, VW 36 months. With either the X5, Touareg, Cayenne, or pretty much any luxury SUV these days, not having it covered by warranty is nuts. Simple glitches end up costing thousands... Even the best extended warranties aren't really the same as the factory warranty.
Service. I'm tired of dealing with VW service departments, advisors and technicians. Loaner cars are like pulling teeth, and I don't want to be in a crappy rental car or VW golf when I have a loaner. Will BMW be any better? Time will tell.
Engines. Every current engine offering in the X5 is great. The 50i obviously is rockin, the 35i will still do 0-60 in 6.2, smoking fast, and most folks really love the 35d as well. On the VW side, you have an underpowered normally aspirated V6, and underpowered diesel (though they did at least put the 8-speed with the diesel), and the hybrid. The Supercharged V6 that is "supplemented" by the electric motor in the Touareg is really what they need for a base gas engine. I have no interest in the extra battery weight and think most, if not all, hybrids are nothing more than eco-status symbols, offering no real positive impact on the environment.
Price. When you factor in the frequent BMW factory cash offerings (like $2,500 holiday cash, $3,500 eco credit, $1,000 BMW CCA credit), super attractive interest rates, dealers who are happy to take a few hundred over invoice, and the extra cost for another 12 months of warranty and service, and the VW ends up being more than a comparable X5. Which is nuts.
Off-Road Capability. What the T1 and T2 Touaregs previously had was real off-road ability. Adjustable height air suspensions, capability for pretty large off road tires, two-speed transfer case, locking center and rear differentials, available real skid plates, etc. All gone for 2011 (in our market). VW clearly targeted the X5 in their Touareg makeover... A soft-roader, lighter, more luxury. But forgot the performance!

For VW to regain my business, I would need:
Performance engine. The euro V8 diesel or a 320+ hp forced induction gas engine would work.
Match the warranty and service of the X5.
Price it aggressively. I need to save $4-$8K over a BMW, all other things equal, to tempt be back.

Not going to happen... but that's my list anyway!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
The TDI is not in any way "underpowered" relative to the 35i. It may actually have a better power-to-weight ratio. The HP and torque numbers are close enough to be immaterial. And the 8 speed VW offers gives them, arguably, the better overall powertrain from the standpoints of performance and mileage. However, I prefer my 35i to the '10 TDI I owned.

Last edited by dcharnet; 06-24-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Next year (supposedly) the Jeep GC will be offered here with a V6 turbo diesel. That will put a diesel in an very competent SUV with an attractive price. Audi will add a diesel to their Q5 and the Cayenne will weigh in with a("breathed upon by Porsche") VAG oilburner as well. With the exception of the Jeep I really don't see much price competition to BMW there as both Audi and Porsche are not much on "deals' -- selling pretty much everything they get their hands on at list or just under.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Next year (supposedly) the Jeep GC will be offered here with a V6 turbo diesel. That will put a diesel in an very competent SUV with an attractive price. Audi will add a diesel to their Q5 and the Cayenne will weigh in with a("breathed upon by Porsche") VAG oilburner as well. With the exception of the Jeep I really don't see much price competition to BMW there as both Audi and Porsche are not much on "deals' -- selling pretty much everything they get their hands on at list or just under.
I agree that the Cherokee diesel will be very interesting, especially if they bring their transmissions into the 21st century. The European V-6 gets rave reviews and has been in production for some time. I will certainly look at one, as much as I love the X5. It might depend on road manners, and of course the transmission.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 AM

Agreed! The Jeep will have one big advantage -- it should have markedly better off road capabilities than any of the other current diesel SUV offerings. So if that is going to be a part of your purchase consideration it would be a big selling point. Now if they would just put that 8 speed transmission in the new JGC.....!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod27 View Post
Disregard......I found this from Feb 2011........

I've owned V8 Touareg for the past five years and have loved it. Best SUV I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few.

But I'm replacing it with an X5, here's why:
Warranty. BMW 48 months, VW 36 months. With either the X5, Touareg, Cayenne, or pretty much any luxury SUV these days, not having it covered by warranty is nuts. Simple glitches end up costing thousands... Even the best extended warranties aren't really the same as the factory warranty.
Service. I'm tired of dealing with VW service departments, advisors and technicians. Loaner cars are like pulling teeth, and I don't want to be in a crappy rental car or VW golf when I have a loaner. Will BMW be any better? Time will tell.
Engines. Every current engine offering in the X5 is great. The 50i obviously is rockin, the 35i will still do 0-60 in 6.2, smoking fast, and most folks really love the 35d as well. On the VW side, you have an underpowered normally aspirated V6, and underpowered diesel (though they did at least put the 8-speed with the diesel), and the hybrid. The Supercharged V6 that is "supplemented" by the electric motor in the Touareg is really what they need for a base gas engine. I have no interest in the extra battery weight and think most, if not all, hybrids are nothing more than eco-status symbols, offering no real positive impact on the environment.
Price. When you factor in the frequent BMW factory cash offerings (like $2,500 holiday cash, $3,500 eco credit, $1,000 BMW CCA credit), super attractive interest rates, dealers who are happy to take a few hundred over invoice, and the extra cost for another 12 months of warranty and service, and the VW ends up being more than a comparable X5. Which is nuts.
Off-Road Capability. What the T1 and T2 Touaregs previously had was real off-road ability. Adjustable height air suspensions, capability for pretty large off road tires, two-speed transfer case, locking center and rear differentials, available real skid plates, etc. All gone for 2011 (in our market). VW clearly targeted the X5 in their Touareg makeover... A soft-roader, lighter, more luxury. But forgot the performance!

For VW to regain my business, I would need:
Performance engine. The euro V8 diesel or a 320+ hp forced induction gas engine would work.
Match the warranty and service of the X5.
Price it aggressively. I need to save $4-$8K over a BMW, all other things equal, to tempt be back.

Not going to happen... but that's my list anyway!
Touareg has a 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty now
Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 PM

How can u guys compare fit and finish of a jeep/dodge/Chrysler anything to a BMW? I haven't owned a dodge since 1998 (dodge avenger) but it started creaking and having poor fit and finish within a couple of years. And I can't recall the last time I saw one recently. They just don't seem to last. Maybe a jeep is different.....and don't get me started about the politics and their bailout.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:28 PM

Rod, when you get a chance drop by the Jeep store and check out a brand new JGC Overland. I think you will be surprised at the changes and improvements that have been made. Of course if its also a Dodge store you might be able to talk yourself into a solo test drive in a SRT8 Charger too!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
How can u guys compare fit and finish of a jeep/dodge/Chrysler anything to a BMW? I haven't owned a dodge since 1998 (dodge avenger) but it started creaking and having poor fit and finish within a couple of years. And I can't recall the last time I saw one recently. They just don't seem to last. Maybe a jeep is different.....and don't get me started about the politics and their bailout.
Automobiles have come a long long way since 1998 lol...
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Automobiles have come a long long way since 1998 lol...
The Dodge family (Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge, RAM, Fiat) are still near the bottom of the recent JDPower IQS.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
I test drove the Jeep GC Overland and it is very nice, comfortable ride and decent power in the V8. And, you get the excellent off road capabilities. That being said, their transmission was outdated and the fit and finish still aren't up to BMW standards. Not a bad choice though if you are looking to spend $15-20k less than a comparably equipped X5.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 AM

The new JGC line (including the new diesel) is supposed to have their 8 speed transmission (long overdue!) and should remedy that "outdated" feeling. OT - Which Cayenne to you have? If it is the V6 how do you like it?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
Quote:
The new JGC line (including the new diesel) is supposed to have their 8 speed transmission (long overdue!) and should remedy that "outdated" feeling. OT - Which Cayenne to you have? If it is the V6 how do you like it?
I do have the V6 Cayenne and I love it. The X5 base engine is better than the Cayenne - more torque at lower revs but I wouldn't call it underpowered. In terms of handling they each have their moments but the BMW feels a little more planted on highway curves - I didn't opt for any of the expensive goodies that control sway or steering on curves so that may account for the difference. The X5 has more cargo room. Other than that, everything else is in the Porsches favor. Much better interior, higher quality fit and finish, Better nav and infotainment, more comfortable ride overall, and easier to find the power at higher speeds. Both great cars although if I had to pick only one it would be the Cayenne...especially ifi could have that as an S, GTS, or Turbo.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks, I really like the Cayenne -- especially the interior. With their new 8 speed it seems to make the whole package perfect.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
regarding Jeep GC...

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...consumers.html

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM

There is a longer discussion of this under "Chrysler Firms up Diesel Plans" over on the BMW diesel enthusiasts thread in "best of bimmerfest" here. The X5 (an older one, pre-07) did pass the test, but was near the bottom of the rankings -- it did pass however. One thing that I noticed was the swedes did not use "outriggers" on their testing so the car actually could tip over -- and has at least once with the M-B "A" class of several years ago. CR uses outriggers to prevent actual rollover in their tests. Very interesting discussion over there if anyone is interested.

Last edited by UncleJ; 07-18-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 xDrive35d
We drove the Toureg TDI last weekend and was a bit dissapointed. It did seem underpowered (or atleast not as "snappy") compared to the X5d. The pricing was nearly the same as an X5 but didn't seem like the same level of fit & finish.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 AM

Mein Auto: xDrive35d
Quote:
I had a 2004 Treg TDI. It had a few reliability issues - but the fit and finish was superior to my 2010 X5D. This incessant rattling of the liftgate on this thing is driving me crazy. I had zero rattles in the Treg in 6 years. The fact that I have to leave the windows rolled up on the highway to actually hear the sound system also really ticks me off....
Old 08-03-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Guy View Post
I had a 2004 Treg TDI. It had a few reliability issues - but the fit and finish was superior to my 2010 X5D. This incessant rattling of the liftgate on this thing is driving me crazy. I had zero rattles in the Treg in 6 years. The fact that I have to leave the windows rolled up on the highway to actually hear the sound system also really ticks me off....
This. The Touareg and my old Q7 have a higher fit and finish than my X5. That being said, the BMW lives up to its price tag and I have no issues, but VW/Audi do it better
Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d-AW/Tobacco
We own a 2012 BMW X5 diesel...and in a few years when it's time to replace my Saab I will be eyeing the VW Treg diesel.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d base model
I have put nearly 20k miles on my 2011 Touareg TDI sport. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned. The fit and finish is better than the x5 in my opinion, not one rattle, it has a vault like feeling cruising down the road. The shift program on the Aisin 8 speed is superlative. It gets over 35 mpg (hand calculated} at 60 mph on the interstate. All of my fill ups are listed on fuelly. The power train warranty on the 2011+ is 10 years or 100k miles. So far the Treg has had 0 issues.

Having said all of this I will be taking a hard look at the NA 2014 JGC crd with the zf 8 speed when it arrives in early 2013. You just can't beat a locking center diff in deep snow and off road.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M, 13 x6 5.0 soon
The fit and finish might be better in an audi or vw or whatever against a plain x5, an x5 with nappa/merino leather is tons better than anything audi has.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:39 AM

The VAG has now added Porsche to the stable. It will be interesting to see how/if anything changes with the Cayenne and the new little "Cajun" or whatever its called. I guess at a minimum though we will not see the Porsche V6 (as used in the sedan) replacing the VAG V6 in the Cayenne though.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
The VAG has now added Porsche to the stable. It will be interesting to see how/if anything changes with the Cayenne and the new little "Cajun" or whatever its called. I guess at a minimum though we will not see the Porsche V6 (as used in the sedan) replacing the VAG V6 in the Cayenne though.
I think it makes more sense from a money standpoint to use the same V6 in the Cayenne as the Treg because of the same standpoint. But let's not forget that Porsche does "massage" it to get more power
Closed Thread