Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 M roadster
new Z3 owner w/ couple questions

Hey there,
Just got my first Bimmer last week (A mint silver/black 2000 M roadster) and couldn't be happier I finally sold my boxster. I asked a questions about rear window care last week and got no response - tried not to take it personally but talk about a buzz killer . I'm hoping the second time might be the charm, because after reading months of old strings this community certainly seems friendly & knowledgable. (With the amount of questions I'll probably be asking in the near future I figure it can't hurt to kiss a little ass)

1. Is the dumb little cloth window cover worth the time & aggravation of strapping it on prior to putting the top down every time vs. the amount of protection it gives? I hate being a slave to that thing & I'm thinking it may be easier to just buy a new window every few years if necesarry.
2. I just purchased a speedster cover from Ebay because I love the way they look, & my car didn't come with a boot. What is the best looking leather boot/cover to use when the speedster cover is in the garage?
Dealer quoted me about $280 & with the number of after market choices my head is spinning.
If I'm in the wrong section (detail more appropriate?) at this site for these questions please let me know, & if not thanks in advance for any info.

F
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Im here

Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Lets see here Fish, back window if your planning on a long trip with top down all day, use the blanket factory or aftermarket it will help , if your just going to the store or whatever don't bother with it, if the window is dirty rinse it before you drop the top the plastic will scratch very easily
The best and I say best no matter what you hear is the factory BMW rear window paste easy to use rub it on rub it off works like magic no BS
see my post here about it, you might have to scroll down abit but you will see a picture of the paste, dont bother with the meguirs 2 step combo crap the dealer tries to pawn off on you http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35961

On the boot cover, my opinion is the factory one looks the best, ebay for about 150.00
but its mostly up to your taste they all do the same but to me the factory one looks the best
feel free to PM if you need any help, or post here
but also the search engine here is pretty good, just alwasy click detailed search and just search under z3 it helps weed out some un needed posts

Last edited by 01silber; 06-07-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:50 AM

Old 06-08-2004, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: E39

let's see some pics!
Old 06-08-2004, 08:51 AM
No more snow please!!!

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 2.8
Yes the window will last for a few years. I gets scratched up and hazes if not properly looked after, but that's the life of a vert! If you can deal with it not being perfect you'll be fine, otherwise you'll be slave to the blanket.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mng

let's see some pics!

Pics coming after the cover & a few other items I ordered arrive & are installed.
Thanks again,

F