Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: 328iX Wagon
Wire to center vent area for GPS

I'm planning to mount a Garmin GPS over one of the center vents in a E91. the Proclip mount is simple. The challenge is neatly routing a power cable from the fuse box or other conveniently access switched circuit. Can anyone suggest easy dash disassembly to route the power cable? I don't want to have the power cable dangling in front of the dash or across the top of the dash. is there an easy way to remove a vent to allow fishing the wire or some way to lift the upper dash open to tuck the wire?
Ads by Google
Old 07-30-2012, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 328iX Wagon
As a follow-up, I managed to pull the trim panel and slip the wire behind it. Even working gently, I broke one of the retaining clips. the one behind the start/stop button must have been a bit brittle. Now I just need to find a good ground near the fuse panel. This is easier said than done as all the screws go into plastic.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm much better now, Dave

Mein Auto: 2008 335i e92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
As a follow-up, I managed to pull the trim panel and slip the wire behind it. Even working gently, I broke one of the retaining clips. the one behind the start/stop button must have been a bit brittle. Now I just need to find a good ground near the fuse panel. This is easier said than done as all the screws go into plastic.
To the left of my fuse block was a bracket and screw that were metal to metal. Great for grounding my GPS's direct wiring. I'm sure your actual fuse block is different than my 08-335i, but look at the bracket and see if there's anything similar.

Also, it's ridiculously easy to lift up the center console, (at least for my model). Lift straight up to pull off the shift knob, then with just finger-tips pulling the sides of the shift cover, it pops out - dangling with some wires. Then some obvious screws on each side and the entire hump cover pulls out. It doesn't come all the way off without disconnecting some wires, but I didn't need to go that far, so I just set it aside.

And on those wires, I located the one that serves the cigarette lighter and used a crimp-connection to do a direct wire for my radar detector.

I"m thinking that regardless of if you started your wire from the fuse block or from the center console, once you're in the console guts, it should be pretty easy to run a wire up to where you need it by the vent outlet.

Let us know how you get it to work, (pictures would be helpful to the next person).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Box Pics 03.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	334908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Box Pics 04 - grounding point.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	334909  

Last edited by Mech_Man; 07-30-2012 at 10:49 PM.