Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i sport 2006 m6
Rear Ball Joint tool

Anyone want to sell or rent their rear ball joint tool . Thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by setconstr View Post
Anyone want to sell or rent their rear ball joint tool . Thanks
Out here, Autozone rents (for free, you get your money back when you return it) lots of tools. You might want to ask if they have the pickle fork and pullers ...

If not, this E39 bestlinks may help you on the E38:
- How to make your own ball joint replacement tool (1) & what balljoint tools to use (1) (2) (3) (4) & where to buy a front wishbone (1) or rear ball joint press (1) (2)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E38, E39, E53
freeze em'

This may sound crazy but it worked for me

If you have access to torches, remove all related suspension arms/components to get to the ball joint and remove all retainers etc.

Heat the ring that holds the ball joint up till its good and hot and take a big hammer and a few good whacks and it came right out.

This is the crazy part...

I put my new ball joints in the freezer the day before.... grab your frozen new ball joint out of the freezer heat the empty ball joint-less ring up again and tap the new one in when it cools its as tight as can be and I haven't had any problems so far and its been 2 years and 20,000 miles later

Just a suggestion

~Tim