Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Tire options?

Two front tires in a month...caught a sharp object on one and a pothole in Rock Creek Park on the other...for a grand total of $662. I'm running 18" Pirelli run flats, which I will probably switch out for all-season Bridgestones (run flats) this November. I would love to be able to run "conventional" tires...Michelins or Toyos, but this strikes me as a risky proposition with no spare kit or jack in the 135i. Has anyone switched from the run flats on their 1 Series? I also was wondering about the functionality of the flat tire repair kits that are on the market for this purpose. Thoughts??

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Ads by Google
Old 06-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I will order replacement tires for my 128i within the next month. I plan to put on conventional tires. I carry a Viair 70P air compressor which I highly recommend. All the flats I've had in 40+ years of driving have been slow leaks. With a slow leak and a compressor, you can get home. Others carry plugging kits. I've seen one used and the guy who's car I was watching says the plug held but I prefer the plugs inserted from the inside. The feedback on the Continental kit is pretty positive. It contains a fluid to "fix", temporarily, the flat with a compressor. You use the compressor to pump the fluid into the tire and then air it up. It is latex based so it can be cleaned out of the tire for plug installation. Products like "slime" cannot be cleaned out so if you put them in, you may get home but the tire cannot be plugged so it's basically unusable.

After considering my options I decided to risk I will have a bigger leak and the compressor will not solve it. If it is that big, I wonder if the other options short of a plug would solve it either.

If you get the Viair, get the accessory outlet that clips to the battery. Amazon sells the compressor with the accessory outlet for less than $50. It's fast enough I just air the tires up with it (despite the fact I have a 120V compressor). The 70P draws 14A so you can run it off the accessory outlet in a BMW but the car has to be running or the outlet shuts down. Easiest just to clip it to the battery.

Jim
Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: '11 128i, '05 Range Rover
I run non-RFT's all winter when I switch to the Michelin X-Ice. The ride is so much better.

I have not messed around with any kits etc, but in the last 10 years, I remember only two punctures - and I attribute those to foul play (I had left my car parked in a questionable neighborhood). Since most of my driving is in and around the city, I don't worry too much about being stranded far from help. Think roadside should be able to help. When I travel out of the city - say for a road trip, I ended up throwing a tire from my summer set (never needed it).

I have also looked into getting a donut spare (and you can still find those), so that is the route that I will go when the time comes to change the OEM Goodyears that the car came with (i.e. if I still have the car past this summer).
Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Good replies and much appreciated. Thanks! This gives me better comfort regarding my decision to go with conventional tires in the fall.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
I bought a set of four (staggered) 17" Conti DWS tires 2 years ago from Radial Tire Co. and have had one puncture. As it resulted in a very slow leak (about 3 lbs per week), I simply reinflated as necessary until the nail was found and the tire repaired. The four Contis cost $100 less than simply replacing the two worn out rear OEM summer RFTs, and the ride is greatly improved with no deterioration in traction.

A small 12v compressor and plug kit stowed in the trunk has warded off any more serious problems, although I do keep my AAA membership paid up.

Tom
Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
Hi,
just in case you are looking for a spare, we do have one available

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...82E88-KIT.html

Any questions, do let me know.

Vincent

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
I wouldn't switch to go flats. If you get a flat in a bad area or when it's raining that's bad. If you get a blowout on a highway at high speed that's worse. I suggest the new Bridgestone 960 pole position rft all season. According to reviews ( like tirerack ) they ride great and are not too expensive. If you get them at Costco they have free road hazzard or you can just buy it. They should last 40k miles.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 06-26-2012, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: '11 128i, '05 Range Rover
The 960 Pole Position looks like a good tire. But is it available in the size specified by BMW? I am looking at TireRack - and I don't see it available for the 128 or 135...

Though I would have to disagree on the cost/benefit aspect - at $250 plus they are quite a bit on the higher side. For example, the Bridgestone 760 - with similar ratings are less than half the price.