Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexus LS400
26 people couldn’t answer this question about the X5.....can you?

I have called numerous BMW parts and service departments, gave them the VIN to my car. I have called several glass companies and asked them. I have searched the web and came up with conflicting answers......now its your turn.
The question is......on a 2010 to 2013 BMW X5, the panorama roof is made of what type glass? Laminated or Tempered?

Before you answer.....please be SURE of your answer with some details of how you reached that answer. I have a strong feeling its tempered, but im not 100% sure. I even gave the folks the numbers off the sunroof. E000251, DOT 904, AS3, M513, 43R-000265, PGW 26, E11.
Google was my friend, and I learned a lot about glass. According to most website, this is what it says .....”AS3 can be used in certain locations in certain vehicles (and can be laminated or tempered) and has less than 70% light. The E11 with the circle around it indicates the country that certified the glass/windshield. The DOT code is the letters “DOT” followed by a number that the Department of Transportation assigns to the manufacturer of the glass. The M number is a model number for the piece of glass, which identifies the type of construction. The M number is unique to the manufacturer, so an M number of M513 by one manufacturer could be different than glass labeled as M513 by another manufacturer. It identifies the glass construction, including the color and thickness.”

Someone posted that their X5 panorama roof broke with a gunshot sound and shattered into little pieces. I thought, ok, it must be tempered glass until I read the last sentence from a several glass manufactures websites......”All tempered glass, flat or bent, can experience spontaneous breakage. If broken, tempered glass falls out of it's opening in interlocking clumps. For this reason, we recommend against using tempered glass for glazing above populated areas in commercial buildings and skylights in homes. Tempered glass can, on occasion, break into large shards rather than the classic tiny piece pattern.”

so.... can you answer the question??
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Re: 26 people couldn't answer this question about the X5.....can you?

I like the trivia, but can't help directly since I don't have the car you mention. Still here's a thought.

We are certain that the windshield is laminated (likely tempered laminated glass). Could you see if that's a M513 as well from Pittsburgh Glass? Wouldn't that tell you is the same construction?

UPDATE: I just saw the thread you are referring to and the picture of the accident. That is very indicative of a non laminated glass since the pieces fell out of position. No?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 06-21-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: E83 X3 and E70 X5
lol i'm #28 - cannot answer too. If the Saint Gobain glass company had printed "Guardian" or "Sekurit" on the glass itself, it would have been easier to guess!

Last edited by xx; 06-21-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
I think it's pretty obvious from the photo of the broken sunroof that it's not laminated. Look at any broken windshield for an example of what laminated glass looks like when broken - it hangs together and is very difficult to punch a hole through.

The sunroof does appear to be tempered from the break pattern. Non-tempered glass would have classic large jagged edges. The small fragments clearly look tempered.

I'm no expert, but I would expect that large auto glass (windows, windshields, sunroof) are required by law to be either tempered or laminated for safety reasons.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post

I'm no expert, but I would expect that large auto glass (windows, windshields, sunroof) are required by law to be either tempered or laminated for safety reasons.
You are right......... What made me rethink was the new Ford Fusion and my old Toyota Camry. Although they are not panorama roofs, the glass clearly says Laminated. The Lincoln MKZ has an all glass roof. This roof doesn't vent or open. I heard this was Laminated glass.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
I like the trivia, but can't help directly since I don't have the car you mention. Still here's a thought.

We are certain that the windshield is laminated (likely tempered laminated glass). Could you see if that's a M513 as well from Pittsburgh Glass? Wouldn't that tell you is the same construction?

UPDATE: I just saw the thread you are referring to and the picture of the accident. That is very indicative of a non laminated glass since the pieces fell out of position. No?

The front windshield has Saint-Gobain, Sekurit M51 on it. This is just getting harder to find out.
I,....like you,....... believe it is tempered, but I don't want to guess. I want to take those numbers off the sunroof, match them up with some manufacturer of glass and have someone say, "oh..... this number means that glass is tempered." Doesn't look like that's gonna happen though.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Re: 26 people couldn't answer this question about the X5.....can you?

Here's a hint then: because of the policarbonate layer in the laminated it will sound dull when you tap it with, let's say, a coin.

Try it: tap a window in your house and you'll hear a clear ding. Tap the front windshield and you'll hear it dull. Than tap the sunroof and compare...

ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Be careful how hard you tap any tempered glass with a metal object....Doesn't take much before it goes kaboom.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Easy. Tempered.

Tempered because when it shatters it forms small 'cubes'

Not laminated since these cubes all fall down like rain on yoru head. Laminated would be held in place with the plastic internal laminate.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace88 View Post
Be careful how hard you tap any tempered glass with a metal object....Doesn't take much before it goes kaboom.
Which is why it is difficult to discern when a side window or sunroof explodes if it was road debris or some odd internal flaw. A small pebble spun up off your own tire can get captured by a slipstream and 'ping' the glass just right to cause it to shatter....
Old 06-21-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Easy. Tempered.

Tempered because when it shatters it forms small 'cubes'

Not laminated since these cubes all fall down like rain on yoru head. Laminated would be held in place with the plastic internal laminate.
But how do you know ard?? For arguments sake.... lets just say we never seen a shattered X5 roof. We wouldn't know about the small cubes because there were no broken roofs. Now then..... how would we find out what type of glass this is?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Prefers bhp over mpg

Mein Auto: E70 X5M and 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBusa View Post
But how do you know ard?? For arguments sake.... lets just say we never seen a shattered X5 roof. We wouldn't know about the small cubes because there were no broken roofs. Now then..... how would we find out what type of glass this is?
contactSekurit@Saint-Gobain.com

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBusa View Post
AFAIK, there are regulatory label requirements for the glass itself- there is a standard for that.

http://beranek.agrrmag.com/tag/european-codes/

Does this let you KNOW?

A
Old 06-24-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
WOW.... Yes it does. This is exactly what I was looking for. I found some sites but the ones I found didn't have European codes. Thanks ard. This is the information I was looking for from the glass shops and the dealerships I called. Even after I gave them the numbers off the glass, they still didn't know.

That site basically says that the V means Glass Panes with less than 70% light transmittance.
A fireman also told me it was tempered. He had to break one because he had to cut someone out of an X5.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Automotive Addict

Mein Auto: Audi, BMW & MB...
this should help answer some questions:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=703869
Old 08-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 50i
Tempered, due to heat and breakage