Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
BMW X5 and X6 Power Steering Recall - Leaking Fluid Can Cause Fire

BMW recalls X5 and X6 over Fire concerns

BMW is recalling up to 2,642 X5s and X6s that could be effected by a leak in the power steering. The recall effects diesel 2012 E70 X5s and 2013 X5s and X6s. The leaking fluid can spray onto the exhaust system under the hood and poses a fire risk. The leak is the result of a machining error on the steering gear surface. BMW is replacing the defective part under warranty and will be contacting owners that are affected. BMW isn't beginning the recall contact until July so I take it this isn't an urgent situation.

Owners waiting on delivery of their X5 are reporting shipping delays as BMW scrambles to get replacements parts on effected X5s and X6s before they are delivered to new owners.
Quote:
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 X5 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A DIESEL ENGINE AND 2013 X5 AND X6 VEHICLES. DUE TO A MACHINING ERROR OF THE STEERING GEAR SURFACE, POWER STEERING FLUID MAY LEAK.
Consequence:
LEAKING POWER STEERING FLUID CAN SPRAY ONTO HOT EXHAUST PARTS, INCREASING THE RISK OF AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE.
Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT, AND IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE STEERING GEAR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JULY 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND SERVICES AT 1-800-525-7417.
Complete Recall information on nhtsa.dot.gov

Is your car effected by the recall?

Last edited by pix335i; 06-28-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '15 35d MSport Carbon Blk
Anything new on this?

I had previously received a call from BMW NA about my 2013 being a part of the recall but my dealer said he ran a DCSNet yesterday and he said the system didn't show any open campaigns on my car. BMW had said they would be contacting me in early July but I haven't heard anything.

I have Active Steering, so maybe that is different, but curious if there's anything new on this recall.

Anyone else a part of this recall? Anyone else been contacted by BMW (mail or telephone)?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Nothing here, but mine was built quite some time before the reported delays. September 2011. But we shall see....
Old 07-16-2012, 03:49 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Ordered our 2012 X5d a month ago and still don't have a confirmed production date. Per Jon it looks like ours may have gotten caught up in this ("Delivery Stop"), although it's still just a piece of paper and not a real car yet. Apparently it might be causing some delays at the factory too I guess.

HR&G Full Review: 2014 F33 428i M-Sport Convertible (my side auto-journo gig)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:29 AM

Car's in the shop for Steering Recall

As previously mentioned, my 2013 has Active Steering, so that may, or may not, impact the likelihood of recall. My car was completed on Friday April 27, 2012.

Despite my earlier post where I mentioned that in early July BMW and my dealer had told me that there were no outstanding recall issues on my car, I received a letter from BMW in mid-July stating that it WAS in the recall. When I called BMW to ask why there was a discrepancy in the information they said that BMW hadn't "loaded" the recall into the system until Mid-July.

So I brought my car in for the inspection on Thursday August 2 and they still have it. Said it will be ready no sooner than Tuesday afternoon August 7th. Said that the car's steering system test results do not fall outside the approved parameters of the recall but that the part that IS installed is the wrong part, so they want to replace it anyway.

They said it is a 21hr job and entails removing the whole underbody of the car; something I am not too keen on with a 3 month old car. In addition, I have adaptive drive, and am very concerned that removing the suspension and underbody will result in Adaptive Drive issues down the line.

Anyway, just wanted to let people know that the recall is real. It is in effect, and it takes around 21 man hours of labor to perform the fix. Plan on being in a loaner for several days.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Any production dates to look for?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS79 View Post
Any production dates to look for?
April 20, 2012 to May 29, 2012, according to this post on BMWBLOG:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/06/21/20...ng-fluid-leak/

The NHTSA notice, however does not mention production dates:

"Report Date: June 21, 2012
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V267000

Vehicle Make / Model, Model Year(s): 2012-2013 BMW X5, 2013 BMW X6
Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC

Component: STEERING
Potential Number of Units Affected: 2,642

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 X5 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A DIESEL ENGINE AND 2013 X5 AND X6 VEHICLES. DUE TO A MACHINING ERROR OF THE STEERING GEAR SURFACE, POWER STEERING FLUID MAY LEAK.

Consequence:
LEAKING POWER STEERING FLUID CAN SPRAY ONTO HOT EXHAUST PARTS, INCREASING THE RISK OF AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE.

Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT, AND IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE STEERING GEAR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JULY 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND SERVICES AT 1-800-525-7417.

Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV."

I just called BMW customer service. They checked my VIN and said my car was produced in March and is not afftected by the recall.

Last edited by Marwan; 08-06-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by plegard View Post
As previously mentioned, my 2013 has Active Steering, so that may, or may not, impact the likelihood of recall. My car was completed on Friday April 27, 2012.

Despite my earlier post where I mentioned that in early July BMW and my dealer had told me that there were no outstanding recall issues on my car, I received a letter from BMW in mid-July stating that it WAS in the recall. When I called BMW to ask why there was a discrepancy in the information they said that BMW hadn't "loaded" the recall into the system until Mid-July.

So I brought my car in for the inspection on Thursday August 2 and they still have it. Said it will be ready no sooner than Tuesday afternoon August 7th. Said that the car's steering system test results do not fall outside the approved parameters of the recall but that the part that IS installed is the wrong part, so they want to replace it anyway.

They said it is a 21hr job and entails removing the whole underbody of the car; something I am not too keen on with a 3 month old car. In addition, I have adaptive drive, and am very concerned that removing the suspension and underbody will result in Adaptive Drive issues down the line.

Anyway, just wanted to let people know that the recall is real. It is in effect, and it takes around 21 man hours of labor to perform the fix. Plan on being in a loaner for several days.
Wait, they said that it is still 'within parameters' but they want to replace it 'anyway'?

Someone is blowing warm air up you...

21 hours?

right.

Don't doubt they TOLD you all this, doubt it is true...

ever the cynic

A
Old 08-06-2012, 08:50 PM

Totally agree

Ard,
I am also a skeptic and cynic and typically never believe anything these guys tell me.

My Service Advisor's comment was "we tested the part and it doesn't fall outside of the allowable parameters. However, the part number does not match the part number that is now supposed to be in the car. So BMW wants us to replace it."

It makes zero sense, sounds like total overkill. One of the parts may be a little out of spec but the steering rack is still within spec when tested yet they want to take apart my car?

As for the 21hrs of labor, that sounded ridiculous but it took them a day to "VOR" (is that the acronym for the overnighting of key parts) from Spartanburg and then they were busy on Friday and I am assuming they didn't touch it on Saturday. So that leaves today and tomorrow to get it completed. Didn't hear a peep from them today so not sure what to think.

Just hope this doesn't create more problems. My car was perfect as far as I could tell.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: M6
Quote:
X5 Diesel models were included in the original recall notices posted at safercar.gov. Active Steering is not available for the X5d, so I assumed this was not an Active Steering issue.

More recent documents show this is actually an Active Steering specific recall.

There does not seem to be a way to link directly to search results, so follow these steps to obtain more information:
Perform a Quick Search for 12V267000 at Safercar.gov
Then click the orange "Document Search" button.
Download the 7 pdf documents.

Quote:
A very valid concern.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series
FYI, my wife's 2012 X5 xDr35d was in production during this period and not included in the Power Steering Recall. We picked it up on May 27 in Santa Barbara.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM

My build date is 6/12....we will see. Hope not. LOVE the X5 35d!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
BMW Dealer Service Bulletin Details

Quote:
SITUATION
Certain power steering gear assemblies were produced with a sealing ring which was improperly positioned. Under certain circumstances, this sealing ring may become loose, resulting in a hydraulic fluid leak. The result is a sudden loss of power steering assist. Steering function will be maintained, however, the effort required to steer the vehicle will be significantly higher. In some cases power steering fluid can spray onto hot exhaust components and ignite. Therefore, a vehicle fire may occur.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
This Recall Campaign involves X5 and X6 models produced from April 20th to May 29th.

In order to determine whether a specific vehicle has had this Recall Campaign completed or is affected by this Recall Campaign, first check the B-pillar label for code number 621. If code number 621 has been punched out, the campaign has already been performed. If code number 621 has not been punched out, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System) or the Key Reader. Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action.

PROCEDURE
The vehicle option codes should be determined via DCS Warranty Vehicle Inquiry or PuMA. For vehicles equipped with Active Steering (Option Code 217), replace the steering gear according to Repair Instruction 32 13 066, "Replacing active front steering hydraulic gear." For vehicles without Active Front Steering, refer to the procedure below.

The steering gear is stamped with an identification letter on the pinion shaft housing, as indicated by the arrow. The letter code can be inspected without removing any parts. With the vehicle properly supported on a lift, inspect the identification stamp located on the power steering gear. The code can be viewed through the opening in the lower cover at the left front wheel arch.

Method 1
Using an inspection mirror (1) and a flashlight (2), check the letter code of the steering gear.

The letter code is stamped on the steering gear housing at the location indicated by the arrow. The code will face the front of the vehicle.
If the code listed is A through F, no further action is necessary. Proceed with the label instructions to finalize the inspection.
If the code listed is not A through F or there is no letter code, the power steering gear must be replaced. Refer to Repair Instruction 32 13 061, "Replacing hydraulic steering gear." Proceed with the label instructions after the steering gear has been replaced.

Method 2
The letter code can be viewed using a bore scope.

The bore scope lead (1) can be positioned through the lower engine compartment cover to view the letter stamp.
The letter code is stamped on the steering housing at the location indicated by the arrow. The code will face the front of the vehicle.
If the code listed is A through F, no further action is necessary. Proceed with the label instructions to finalize the inspection.
If the code listed is not A through F or there is no letter code, the power steering gear must be replaced. Refer to Repair Instruction 32 13 061, "Replacing hydraulic steering gear." Proceed with the label instructions after the steering gear has been replaced.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number Description Quantity
32 10 6 799 623 Steering gear, vehicles with N55 engine and Active Steering Option Code 217 1
32 10 6 799 620 Steering gear, vehicles with N63 engine and Active Steering Option Code 217 1
32 10 6 771 416 Steering gear, vehicles with N55/N63/M57Y engine without Active Steering Option Code 217 1
32 10 6 788 972 Steering gear, vehicles with S63 engine without Active Steering Option Code 217 1
Important Note: Only request and invoice the applicable steering gear part number specified and listed above.

Performing a part number look-up in ETK by VIN or model will result in the wrong steering gear part number being invoiced and claimed.

The following components are required for replacement of the steering gear, regardless of model or option code.

Part Number Description Quantity
33 32 6 760 376 Collar nut 4
07 11 9 905 606 Hexagon nut 4
07 11 9 906 463 Sealing ring 2
32 41 1 093 596 Sealing ring 2
32 30 6 778 609 Torx bolt 2
33 30 6 772 888 Hex bolt with washer 6
33 32 6 760 374 Collar nut 2
33 30 6 760 349 Collar nut 2
31 10 6 769 434 Hexagon bolt 2
31 12 6 780 480 Combination nut 2
Power steering fluid is to be claimed under sublet code 4.

Please order only parts quantities indicated per repair. Do not order larger quantities. Stock remains limited.

Last edited by tim330i; 08-09-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Recall letter...
Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS79 View Post
My build date is 6/12....we will see. Hope not. LOVE the X5 35d!
You should be fine. The supposed affected build dates are April 20, 2012 to May 29, 2012 (see post #7).
Old 08-10-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwan View Post
You should be fine. The supposed affected build dates are April 20, 2012 to May 29, 2012 (see post #7).
Thanks Marwan, I hope so.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
BMW Dealer Service Bulletin Details
Quote:
PROCEDURE
The vehicle option codes should be determined via DCS Warranty Vehicle Inquiry or PuMA. For vehicles equipped with Active Steering (Option Code 217), replace the steering gear according to Repair Instruction 32 13 066, "Replacing active front steering hydraulic gear." For vehicles without Active Front Steering, refer to the procedure below.

The steering gear is stamped with an identification letter on the pinion shaft housing, as indicated by the arrow. The letter code can be inspected without removing any parts. With the vehicle properly supported on a lift, inspect the identification stamp located on the power steering gear. The code can be viewed through the opening in the lower cover at the left front wheel arch.

Method 1
Using an inspection mirror (1) and a flashlight (2), check the letter code of the steering gear.

The letter code is stamped on the steering gear housing at the location indicated by the arrow. The code will face the front of the vehicle.
Thanks for posting the inspection procedure.
Do you have the pictures showing the location?