Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery > The Travel Forum

The Travel Forum
Planning a trip or have a great travel story? Need travel tips or want to share your experiences (and photos)? Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, the Bimmerfest Travel Forum is your best resource on the Web.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i, 325i
Traveling to Greece

Has anyone been to Greece recently? If so, what is it like and what should a tourist expect over the next year?

My wife and I would like to go for our anniversary next year but we are worried abut the economic situation right now. I certainly don't want to go there and be in the middle of riots or strikes or find there there is a general lack of services.

If we don't do Greece I have decided (unilaterally) that we will do euro delivery instead.
Ads by Google
Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Who knows - Greece might be fine this week but a year from now its impossible to predict! Just do Euro Delivery instead, after a few glasses of champagne in the premium lounge your wife won't even remember its your anniversary.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 06-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
I tend not to plan my trips terribly far in advance and you are smart to consider the possibility of some degree of turmoil were you to go to Greece.

I wonder if travel insurance covers this type of situation.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
I recently heard from a friend about his trip. (I.e., this is all second-hand.) He was surprised by the deterioration in the infra-structure in general and in the highways in particular. He said this particularly applied to the hill country.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:35 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
If you do decide to go, enrol in STEP

https://step.state.gov/step/

and keep an eye on this web page:

http://athens.usembassy.gov/warden_messages.html

2nd hand for us too, from a Greek expat who went back recently. She said many restaurants have closed because locals can't afford to eat out. This may be more outside of the main tourist areas.

BBC news reports that many healthcare workers haven't been paid for months. Hospitals are running short of essential supplies. Pharmacies are having a hard time getting supplies too.

Things could improve or get worse. Who knows.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
As usual the media has blown things waaaaaay out of proportion. I am sitting here in downtown Athens just four blocks from Parliament Square where most protests occurred. There is absolutely zero evidence of unrest or animosity toward Americans. The people are lovely and as friendly as ever. Everybody seems to have close family in the States. Other than it being ungodly hot, this is probably the best time I've had here in the past eight years. Hotels are half full, restaurants empty (with waiters bending over backwards to accommodate) and there is even room to spread-out on the beaches.

I am currently typing this in a corner taverna after finishing my 2.50 Euro gyro and nursing my 3.00 Euro half liter Mythos lager. Every store my shopaholic wife has ventured into has cut her a deal on their posted prices.

Perhaps the only complaint I have are that the streets are filthier than ever - just like Rome's. And anybody driving their new ED BMW in downtown Athens needs to be committed. Absolutely no rules on these roads.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2011 Ford Fiesta (grey)

Last edited by Gluhwein; 07-08-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 540i, 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post
As usual the media has blown things waaaaaay out of proportion. I am sitting here in downtown Athens just four blocks from Parliament Square where most protests occurred. There is absolutely zero evidence of unrest or animosity toward Americans. The people are lovely and as friendly as ever. Everybody seems to have close family in the States. Other than it being ungodly hot, this is probably the best time I've had here in the past eight years. Hotels are half full, restaurants empty (with waiters bending over backwards to accommodate) and there is even room to spread-out on the beaches.

I am currently typing this in a corner taverna after finishing my 2.50 Euro gyro and nursing my 3.00 Euro half liter Mythos lager. Every store my shopaholic wife has ventured into has cut her a deal on their posted prices.

Perhaps the only complaint I have are that the streets are filthier than ever - just like Rome's. And anybody driving their new ED BMW in downtown Athens needs to be committed. Absolutely no rules on these roads.
Just the sort of first hand information I was hoping for.