Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Got Beemer?

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 535I
Timing bank 1 VANOS

Hey all

So I got the p0011 code on my 740 the other day and have checked to confirm that the vanos timing is off. Here is my question. Once I turn the crank to TDC and lock it down and then lock down the camshafts with the tool. Is timing the vanos as simple as putting the special torque nut on the cam wheel and turning to the clock wise till i get the acoustic beep on the multimeter? Then tighten the bolt down on the cam sprocket to factory spec and backing off 1/4 turn and then same on other sprocket? My rails and tensioners are good no issues there. Thanks a ton.

Alpina
Old 09-21-2014, 12:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740I SPORT
Yes on your question
Quote:
Is timing the vanos as simple as putting the special torque nut on the cam wheel and turning to the clock wise till i get the acoustic beep on the multimeter?
Here is what I did.....Really timing the engine was quite easy....I simply left the multi meter on the whole time i was torquing the bolt....As long as u hear the BEEP the whole time ur GOLDEN
2000 740i Sport , Alpina 21`, Alpina Lip, Alpina Deco Stripe kit,Dinan 7,Dinan TB, DINAN CAI, DINAN Exhaust, Dinan Software Stage 5, Dinan manifold, Highline individual interior,Eibach/Bilstein,Zimmerman Timing guides done

Last edited by FABOCH; 09-21-2014 at 12:37 AM.