Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 AM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Wiring Diagram for Power Seat Connector

Hey guys,

Been a while since I've popped over to the E46 section. I bought a set of black E46 M3 power/lumbar/heated seats to replace my trusty but battle hardened Vaders. The retrofit is a somewhat common modification from what I can tell, but no one has taken the time to thoroughly document it.

I have all the E36 wires roughly identified and I know what needs to be wired up on my car's side. My car isn't optioned with power so I'll have to go digging through the harness, but its not a huge deal.

The one thing I can't find any information on is the wiring for the E46 seats. They all use this big "community" connector. I'll only be using 4 or 5 wires off of it for the retro fit. Power, Ground, Seat Belt Switch Wire #1 and Seat Belt Switch Wire #2, possibly a 2nd ground for the seat belt switch but probably not.

I assume red is power and brown is ground, but I need to know which ones are for the seat belt switch, and it would be nice to know what they all do so I know what not to touch (like the pipe-bomb seat tensioner ). Also, I will eventually go back in here to retrofit the wiring for the heated seats once the weather gets cold again.

Can anyone help me find a decipherable wiring diagram for that plug? It's probably spread out between the SRS, seat/memory function, and power distribution diagrams. I was able to find the SRS diagram but for some reason can't make sense of it like the E36 one.

If anyone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction, or even crack open their Bentley manual for me, I would be eternally grateful.
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Best option is to send those seats to me and let me send you my non-m black leather ZHP seats. I hear they retrofit better.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 06-27-2012, 06:57 AM
King of Drone

No really though, any idea where I could identify all those wires? Its still the missing link before I start trying to install them.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 AM
King of Drone

Ok, starting to get a little traction I think. I found this diagram for the MRS III/IV systems and the MRS II. The wiring for what I'm concerned with looks the same no matter what system my donor car has.

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...1385.svg?m=e46

The only thing I can't find is the general power distribution chart, but I think I can figure out which are the main power/ground wires by looking at it. Could someone tell me what the color abbreviations mean? They have different abbreviations from the E36. I assume GE is green, BL is blue? BR is brown, WS is white stripe? VI is violet? I can't even guess SW and RT. I also have no idea what the abbreviations in parenthesis mean.

Here is what I was able to dig up in the diagrams:

Driver's Side

GE/RT (GSF+) and GE/BR (GSF-) Driver's Belt Tensioner (these won't be touched)
BL/WS (GKF) and VI/BL (R<11) Hall sensor, driver's seat belt buckle
BL/SW/GE Hall sensor driver's belt buckle to instrument cluster control unit

What the hell is a "hall sensor" is this the seat belt switch that just tells you if it's buckled? If so, I believe I can splice these into the E36 wiring.

Passenger's Side

BL/RT (GSBF+) and BL/BR (GSBF-) Belt Tensioner Passenger (won't be touched)
BL/VI/GE (GKBF) and VI/BL (R<11) Hall sensor, passenger's seat belt buckle
WS/RT (goes to MRS control unit) and BR/SW (goes to ??) seat occupancy recognition

The occupancy sensor seems to be similar between generations. They both have 1 wire in and 1 wire out. I know the Vio/Wht wire runs through the fuse box to the airbag indicatior light on the E36. The Wht/Red wire runs from the SRS module to the seat. So I think I'd splice Wht/Red to WS/RT. I need to double check that though.

Seat belt tensioner diagram.

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...8170.svg?m=e46

Driver's seat belt contact diagram.

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...7203.svg?m=e46

Passenger's seat belt contact diagram.

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...7205.svg?m=e46

Seat occupancy recognition diagram.

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...7206.svg?m=e46

Info page on MRS

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/zin...-015657715.htm