Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Safelite Glass repair

I got a stone chip on the way back from a long trip a couple of days ago. Called my insurance company, and they recommend Safelite for the repair. So far, it has not radiated, and the location is out of my line of sight, so I'm inclined to do this rather than replace the windshield with all the accompanying hassles with stickers, fit, leaks, etc.

I've never had this type of repair done before and was wondering about other people's results. I have an appointment on Monday...I'd have had to wait a little longer to get them to come to me, so I chose to go over to them. From a financial point of view, it's not much, my glass coverage would only cost me $50 for a new windshield, but the repair is free - free is better if it works!
Ads by Google
Old 07-08-2012, 01:00 AM

Mein Auto: S430
I had them replace the glass in my Mercedes S430. They did an excellent job for 40% of what the MB dealer wanted. The WS was made by PPG same as the original WS.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:25 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
I tried the chip repair but it bugged me to no end on my '04 E46. The chip was pretty much right in front of the driving side. Went for the whole thing replaced.

Safelite did a great job and used Sekurit Saint Gobain. Rain sensor, etc.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
I've used Safelite to repair chips on 7 or 8 cars during the past few years. Their system has improved since I first used them and the last two repairs are almost invisible. One on our Ridgeline is directly in line of sight and does not interfere with vision at all. Never had a problem and never had any chip spread after the repair. The free repair sure beats paying the deductible on my insurance.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Well, had it done this afternoon...it's low and in the center, so not in my normal line of sight (if I did, I'd be looking at the front fender); you can see it if you look, but it will probably be okay. In and out in about 40-minutes.