Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: E38 740i
E38 740i Motor stalls / stops when weather is hot

Hi,

I have an interesting problem

Only when the weather is hot my motor stalls sometimes when I am driving slowly (for instance in a traffic jam or waiting for the trafficlight). It stalls when I am slowing down. I can restart right away and in 99% of the time the problem is gone (until the next time which can be days or hours). I have had it 6 time a day, but also 1 time in 6 days. When the weather is warm 22 degree celsius or hotter it occurs. Below this temperature it is not there. The warmer it becomes the more often it seems to happen.

What did I do: Checked if their are any erros in the computer (none)
Cleaned the gas house (do not know the correct english word, but it is where the inlet of air is regulated by a valve, It is used the keep the motor stable when stationary)
recently the sparkplugs and bobines have been changed by originals parts
I have checked the wiring from the bobines to the computer

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740I SPORT
seems your MAF sensor needs to be replaced.... controls air to fuel mixture. Bad MAF will cause symptoms you are having...
2000 740i Sport , Alpina 21`, Alpina Lip, Alpina Deco Stripe kit,Dinan 7,Dinan TB, DINAN CAI, DINAN Exhaust, Dinan Software Stage 5, Dinan manifold, Highline individual interior,Eibach/Bilstein,Zimmerman Timing guides done
Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: E38 740i
Changing Maf does not help

Thanks for the help. What I have learned from the previous owner, is that disconnecting the maf does help, but replacing with a new one does not help. Thus it looks like the maf gives a correct signal and something reacts on it in the wrong way. And if the maf is disconnected this something reacts on the normalised values allthought it is a hot day?!?!

What to do?

Thanks!