Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,587
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickm5X3 View Post
This is my favorite phrase utilized by many used car dealers. Quite a promise.
Used car salesmen- indeed management- makes an extraordinary effort to NOT discover any issues and certainly NOT tell the front line sales staff of any concerns...this way the salesmen can earnestly look you in the eye and say 'this is a great deal'


It kills me when people buy cars, find out there are issues, and actually blame the seller for failing to discover/disclose this... they are in the business of not knowing.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 PM
BryanCO BryanCO is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado Springs
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 164
Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaX5 View Post
Actually, I still have time to back out on this deal. The deal I made was $39,500+tax so the original msrp for the car was $75,000 and they were asking $44,500 for it. The car is 2009 with every possible option plus the luggage carrier and has 41,000 miles. Good deal or bad deal? I have until tomorrow to decide.
Deal doesn't sound unreasonable.
__________________
'06 M3 Silver/Gray
'11 X5 35d Sparkling Bronze/Oyster
'88 M3 Silver/Black, 47k Miles, Stock, Garage Queen...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-29-2012, 05:05 AM
tribecaX5 tribecaX5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 121
Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Used car salesmen- indeed management- makes an extraordinary effort to NOT discover any issues and certainly NOT tell the front line sales staff of any concerns...this way the salesmen can earnestly look you in the eye and say 'this is a great deal'


It kills me when people buy cars, find out there are issues, and actually blame the seller for failing to discover/disclose this... they are in the business of not knowing.
Have it ever occur to you that one can buy a used car which can turn out to be a good deal and with no problems? Is that possible? Obviously anyone who buys a used car takes some risks.

Let's just pretend that this car is as good as the dealer says (visually, everything looks great from tires to paint job, interior spotless, engine clean as new etc), what do you say, good deal or bad deal? Simple answer. You don't have emphasize the "NOT's" and the "YOU's" and stuff like that - I get it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-29-2012, 05:05 AM
tribecaX5 tribecaX5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 121
Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Deal doesn't sound unreasonable.
Thank you. You just boosted my buying a used care morale up.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-29-2012, 05:54 AM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 741
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Price seems reasonable.

Let us know how everything turns out. The law of averages is probably against you, as its not on a bmw lot. From my used car buying experience, only the non-prime meat ever leaves any brands lot, but saying that, it could have been in an area where d's don't move very fast and the dealer wanted it off his lot. Lots of variables in the equation, it'll either work out fine or it won't, no sense stressing over it at this point

Some people are more particular then others, and those people would never think of buying a car site unseen (me included), but not everyone has the same priorities.

Jay
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-29-2012, 12:50 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,587
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaX5 View Post
Have it ever occur to you that one can buy a used car which can turn out to be a good deal and with no problems? Is that possible? Obviously anyone who buys a used car takes some risks.

Let's just pretend that this car is as good as the dealer says (visually, everything looks great from tires to paint job, interior spotless, engine clean as new etc), what do you say, good deal or bad deal? Simple answer. You don't have emphasize the "NOT's" and the "YOU's" and stuff like that - I get it.
Is it possible? Of course. Even probable.

Enjoy.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-29-2012, 06:41 PM
JohnMN JohnMN is offline
Registered User
Location: Minneapolis
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: X5 35d, S4, V50 T5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaX5 View Post
I actually decided to buy the '09 so makes no difference at this point. Just curious to see what other people would do.
If it helps, I just did the same thing. I drove an '09, '11, and '12. 35i and 35d. Checked out the idrive in all. In the end, got a deal similar to yours on a fully loaded '09. I pick it up tomorrow. Only difference is I bought local and was able to drive/inspect it pre-purchase.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 PM
apw2607 apw2607 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 484
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Don't let "new" idrive sway you. Its not new anyway. Not anymore. The old system still shows you the same information and gets you from point a to point b. the amplifier and speakers didn't change. it was the controller, screen resolution and user interface that got updates. Maps look prettier but it's still the same routing algorithms. Song names look the same. Car diagnostics are the same. Same fm channels .... ;-)

If it bothers you so much 09s can still be updated if you are prepared to spend some extra money. I upgraded. It was worth it for me, because I wanted apps. If apps wasn't available and it was purely on base idrive, I now wouldn't bother having extensively lived with both systems. There are people on this forum that actually traded in their old 09 cars to buy a next year model to simply get new idrive. Utter madness.

The current x5 2013 Idrive system is now out of date. There's a new refresh soon to be available that the current x5 won't get. A brand new completely revamped system should be available by 2014 And will get dropped in the next gen x5.

I would prefer to have the HUD, the nice seats, the upgraded sound, the nice steering wheel, etc over some janky base car.

Oh ... The HUD. The only people that ever say its not worth it are people that don't have it. Best option out there.

Last edited by apw2607; 06-29-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-29-2012, 09:41 PM
apw2607 apw2607 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 484
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
^^ Every possible option? Nappa leather, nappa dash? M sport package, 3rd row seats, Rear entertainment system, adaptive drive, I didn't see you mention those.
Unless you know something we don't. No m-sport on USA diesels. For any year.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-30-2012, 05:52 AM
tribecaX5 tribecaX5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 121
Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Don't let "new" idrive sway you. Its not new anyway. Not anymore. The old system still shows you the same information and gets you from point a to point b. the amplifier and speakers didn't change. it was the controller, screen resolution and user interface that got updates. Maps look prettier but it's still the same routing algorithms. Song names look the same. Car diagnostics are the same. Same fm channels .... ;-)

If it bothers you so much 09s can still be updated if you are prepared to spend some extra money. I upgraded. It was worth it for me, because I wanted apps. If apps wasn't available and it was purely on base idrive, I now wouldn't bother having extensively lived with both systems. There are people on this forum that actually traded in their old 09 cars to buy a next year model to simply get new idrive. Utter madness.

The current x5 2013 Idrive system is now out of date. There's a new refresh soon to be available that the current x5 won't get. A brand new completely revamped system should be available by 2014 And will get dropped in the next gen x5.

I would prefer to have the HUD, the nice seats, the upgraded sound, the nice steering wheel, etc over some janky base car.

Oh ... The HUD. The only people that ever say its not worth it are people that don't have it. Best option out there.
Thanks man. I decided to get the '09. I sent the payment yesterday so I should be getting the car in about two weeks (until title is transferred to my bank and some other issues) but deal done.
The new idrive is nice but not a deal breaker for me. I thought about it, but then I said no matter how sophisticated the new idrive is, how much time does a someone actually spend playing with it while driving? Two features what people use most are the navigation and sound system, and in most cases sound system only. It has a backup camera and no matter how "grainy" as some users say is, it's a decent option but honestly even if it did not have it, it would not make any difference. I am more excited about the HUD than anything else and so is my wife because she's a beginner driver and not confident enough to look around, instrument cluster, navigation etc.
This particular car I got is absolutely loaded. The only thing that it does not have is the 20" wheels but that is upgradable down the road. First mod I will do on this car is replacing the rear tails with LCI LEDs. I wil order those tonight and install them myself as I understand they're plug and play but with bulb error.
I will update you when I get the car.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 AM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 741
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Oh ... The HUD. The only people that ever say its not worth it are people that don't have it. Best option out there.
Does the bmw hud work with polarized sunglasses?

The hud on my vette didn't.

Jay

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,587
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Oh ... The HUD. The only people that ever say its not worth it are people that don't have it. Best option out there.
Well, duh.... why would a driver that didn't value HUD go ahead and buy it???

The options we have on our cars are not some randomly selected process- your comment presupposed that we all have no opinions, and then we either get HUD or not- and then those without hud are the only ones that dont value it. (And I presume those that did get hud wind up liking it, and speak positively about it?)

I've driven cars with hud in germany extensively. I find it a gimmick. Interesting, sure. But not enough value that I ordered it when I replaced the 2010 with the 2012.

__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-30-2012, 04:32 PM
blue dragon blue dragon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pickering/Toronto
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 725
Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Unless you know something we don't. No m-sport on USA diesels. For any year.
Sorry, I'm in Canada where we got them

Oh and Ard, I disgree with you about the HUD, when I drive someone else's car, I find it so strange now to have to look all the way down at the cluster to check the speed. I don't think its a gimmicky at all.
__________________


| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |

Last edited by blue dragon; 06-30-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-30-2012, 06:41 PM
JohnMN JohnMN is offline
Registered User
Location: Minneapolis
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: X5 35d, S4, V50 T5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaX5 View Post
First mod I will do on this car is replacing the rear tails with LCI LEDs. I wil order those tonight and install them myself as I understand they're plug and play but with bulb error.
I will update you when I get the car.
Looking forward to the update on how the LED tails work out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms