Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 525it (E34)
Need Help Restoring Rare E34 525it in West Chester, PA

I have purchased an unfinished BMW E34 with extensive extra parts. I am inexperienced but am selling my daily driver so my only option will be to complete this build. Also, i want to use as many salvaged OEM parts as possible for best value. My plans are as follows:

Build time: 4 months
Budget: $3k
Will be rebuilding m50 engine to include parts from an m54b30 motor to create an pseudo-S50, the details can be seen here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=569110
Purchasing and adding brakes off of a 740i or 850i, whatever's cheaper
Repainting exterior to either alpine white or Porsche gray (high gloss)
New suspension, parts tbd but will likely cost around $1100
New lightweight/staggered wheels, most likely from E36 M3 but open to ideas
Need clutch/pressure plate/flywheel, only flywheel will be non OEM

I would love to share this experience with someone else who has a passion for BMW's and enjoys free pizza/beer. Also, I am a professional painter and could work something out to paint your entire house for only the cost of materials. So if you're a BMW Tech or just knowledgeable and want to be a part of an awesome build without any personal risk, give me a call and we'll make it happen.
Dan 215-622-4007
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Founder @ Maintenr

Mein Auto: 1995 540I/6
You will blow throughout your $3k budget in a first week.

///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 PM

Normally that would be true, however I have all the necessary parts from 2 wagons (both almost complete) to make one 525it, including a m50 and the m54b30 motors, both of which run. Since I'm doing all my own labor (except for block reconditioning when motor is torn down) and will have 4 months to earn more funds/ finish the build, I'd say I stand a chance. Again, I already have the wagons and will be doing this no matter what; if your knowledgeable I'd appreciate your help.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Founder @ Maintenr

Mein Auto: 1995 540I/6
Sorry I'm just not sure what so rare about the car and why would people help you restore it in exchange for a beer and pizza especially BMW mechanics. You just seem to oversell the awesome build which is basically helping you getting parts installed on the car (hard labor) for $15.

///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Josh

Mein Auto: 95 540i m sport
Hahaha you're right this isn't that rare of a car,I found like 4 or 5 when I was looking for my m540i sport. Not trying to insult you, a real rare wagon is the 530it. You're basically fixing up a grocery getter. Seems like a ton of work for 20 hp.

Last edited by M540FELLA; 06-28-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '95 525it '95 525i/M
Post some pics when you can! Nice to see another "it" owner with alot of enthusiasm!

1995 525it/5 98,000 miles
1995 525i 123,000 miles
1995 530i
Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Txrealtor: Thanks! I'll definitely put some up tomorrow when I get back to my laptop.

1995i540: You seem to be missing the point of this thread, which in reality is to help provide input on my build and/or physically aid me in building it. Regardless, here are the answers to you questions:
1. I've never seen another E34 wagon in my town or county, so I consider it rare though you're probably building an original M1 right now. You may have noticed I bought two parts cars and I'm working on a $3k budget, so it doesn't take a vast amount of intelligence to realize I can't build something really rare like an actual E30 M3. Sorry to disappoint you.
2. Somehow, your major takeaway from my post is I want a certified BMW mechanic to do all my labor and be paid in pizza/beer. It appears you missed the post itself, which talks about recieving HELP with the build and is open to anyone "knowledgeable." Also as a clarifying point, I am a senior in college, so offering anyone willing to help me food and beer seems like the way to go.
3. Please explain to me how building a vastly improved and clean 525it with the challenge of using almost entirely salvaged OEM parts isn't an awesome build, especially since it will be the only one in my area?

You're from NY and probably not interested in helping me with the build, so I guess what I'm confused about is why your spending your clearly valuable time trolling on some kid who already has two parts cars and is asking for help to complete one unique one. If you have no interest in my build whatsoever then your input is largely moot; perhaps there's a middleaged guy building an E24 on a different thread whom you'd rather troll on.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Lucky to drive a BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
If you keep the orginl spec M50 engine its a good project .If you want to try install a different engine you are asking for problems. it would quickly become time and cost prohibitive. I think
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 PM
New to S5X Tinkering

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 S52b32/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgpriest View Post
I have purchased an unfinished BMW E34 with extensive extra parts. I am inexperienced but am selling my daily driver so my only option will be to complete this build. Also, i want to use as many salvaged OEM parts as possible for best value. My plans are as follows:

Will be rebuilding m50 engine to include parts from an m54b30 motor to create an pseudo-S50, the details can be seen here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=569110

I would love to share this experience with someone else who has a passion for BMW's and enjoys free pizza/beer. Also, I am a professional painter and could work something out to paint your entire house for only the cost of materials. So if you're a BMW Tech or just knowledgeable and want to be a part of an awesome build without any personal risk, give me a call and we'll make it happen.
Dan 215-622-4007
Good luck with the build. But m50 tourings aren't rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995i540 View Post
Sorry I'm just not sure what so rare about the car and why would people help you restore it in exchange for a beer and pizza especially BMW mechanics. You just seem to oversell the awesome build which is basically helping you getting parts installed on the car (hard labor) for $15.
this^

Quote:
Originally Posted by M540FELLA View Post
Not trying to insult you, rare Tourings are 540it, M5t or Alpina b10 tourings.
Fixed that for ya

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 06-28-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Josh

Huh sure those are rare as they were only produced in europe I just don't see how totally tearing down two engines is going to cost effective way to spend your budget only to make an extra 20 hpReally why put 3k into a car that's only worth about 3k when you're done with it?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:03 PM

I was thinking I would because the parts are already there and the m50 is already out of the car so I figured it should atleast get a top end rebuild. At that point I was going to drop in th m54b30 parts I have lined up for $400. However, i have never built an engine before, so would you recommend I leave things as is or move ahead with the original plan?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 PM

And since the stock motor was putting out 189bhp but the rebuild should be making ~240bhp, wouldn't that be a worthy upgrade if it costs under 1.5k total?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:19 PM
New to S5X Tinkering

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 S52b32/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by M540FELLA View Post
Huh sure those are rare as they were only produced in europe I just don't see how totally tearing down two engines is going to cost effective way to spend your budget only to make an extra 20 hpReally why put 3k into a car that's only worth about 3k when you're done with it?
Agreed.

OP though I admire you ambitiousness. It would probably be best to start with the basics before tackling such a project.

With your having little to no experience you can easily find yourself overwhelmed. To ask others to help, regardless for money or food and drink is respectable.
However you'd be better off learning how to pull a Subframe Bushing or replacing other maintenance items than attempting a all out performance build without no experience.

Use that 3k and get the car right first. Once you learn the ins and outs of your car. Bump it up with performance parts.

just my .02

edit: Wait you bought someone elses project? A 525it with the engine out. Is it Green with dove grey interior from jersey. 5 spd swap already in?
If so you need to pm me. That car has a lean on the title for 1900.
ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 06-28-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Josh

Yeah without any experience I would just leave it for now,these are very expensive cars to just keep up the maintence on. If you got 3k and little experience I would suggest you get an old hot rod,personally I would get a mustang. Not trying to knock you but that would be a way to gain that experience. Learning the basics you know.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:01 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Sounds doable, but $3k isnt possible for a quality build. Remember that second hand parts dont have half the lifespan new ones do, so your changing them more often. Waste of time when you might as well buy new to start with.

E34 Tourings arent rare, however my AC Schnitzer S5 Touring, that is rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
If you keep the orginl spec M50 engine its a good project .If you want to try install a different engine you are asking for problems. it would quickly become time and cost prohibitive. I think
Agreed

If you decide to swap engines, best thing to do would be to drop the M54 in whole/untouched with the wiring loom from the M50 and then reflash the ECU for the extra 500cc. you will also have to tap the head to fit an extra coolant sensor for the gauge cluster and a few other bits and pieces to make it all work

but all in all, i wouldnt bother, and sell the S54B30 and get some extra cash for the build, you will need it. They are still a sort after engine by the E46 boys

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1992 525it /2004 ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgpriest View Post

Dan 215-622-4007
For now, concentrate on restoration. The M50 motor in that car is a great motor and in good working order, it will bring great joy. As you have two parts cars, you will save a bundle. Please consult us when ordering parts online. And you will need to order many NEW parts for it.

There will be many things you should not reuse. Like, control arms, tie rods, strut/shock mounts ect. So, if you consentrate your initial efforts on restoration, you should be able to do it within your budget with the exception of paint. If done right, the paint job alone will be at least three K :o)))

I am in elizabeth NJ, about an hour from chester PA

And by the way, I have a 525IT. Although not quite Reare... I do not see many on the road out here. In the last three or four years, I have only seen two others that were E34's