Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)
The latest and greatest V8 powered M3!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: Soon to be M3
1200 mile service screw up

Well, I took my brand new M3 in for it's 1200 service yesterday and picked it back up 5 hours later. They said everything was great and checked out perfectly. They changed the oil and differential fluid and a few other things I think...

Here's the problem. So I drive home (approx 20 miles) and then back to work today... On my way to lunch today I was sitting at a traffic light and just happened to check the vehicle status in the computer. Much to my surprise it said the engine oil was over filled and to see the service center immediately!!! I didn't get any warning signs and would never have noticed it had a I not checked...

How the heck does a BMW dealer over-fill the freaking oil?!?!?! I immediately drove it to the dealer and they were like "are you serious?!?" when I told and showed them. They are trying to fix it now and I was given a loaner... My main concern is how much (if any) damage could this have caused to my brand new car?!?!?! Anyone ever had this happen???

I will be finding another dealer who knows what the heck they are doing...

Very, very frustrated and concerned...
Ads by Google
Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Mostly Euro sedans
It's frustrating but I wouldn't change dealers necessarily unless you have another who is conveniently close. I'd just talk to your SA and ask for a recommendation for a Sr. Technician and ask them to setup your future appointments with just that person since this could easily happen with any inexperienced tech at any dealership.

In terms of damage if it's VERY overfilled it will present itself quickly and in obvious fashion. If you're car isn't smoking, air filter clogged, motor making an odd noise, etc. you're probably fine (I'm basing my experience on other cars/motors as I haven't had an engine issue with the M so far.)
Old 06-29-2012, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the info... Yea, I was hoping that if it was serious it would be noticeable or at least trigger a "service now" warning when you start the car.

I spoke with the head technician and he said he was going to personally stand over them when they changed the oil and that they would measure it to see exactly how over filled it is/was so we would know. He also said (and this doesn't make sense to me) that the M3 engine is a very complicated engine to change the oil on. He said it's not as simple as pulling the drain plug... The thing that concerns me about the dealer isn't the knowledge of the head guys, but the fact that an inexperienced person may be doing the work without proper supervision... Who knows...

Definitely not what you wan to have happen on your first service appointment with your first BMW... hopefully it was a fluke...
Old 06-29-2012, 02:06 PM
MPowered RPh

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Comp & '12 528Xi
After my ED, I was over 1200miles on my M so the PDC did the 1200...they forgot to replace the cap the diff.

I had a minor overfill also at redelivery (didn't trigger an alert, but it wasn't that overfilled either) - I caught it before I drove off - was told the same thing by the SA. What I was told was, they have to get close then slowly add until the car says STOP adding, but it's a slow process so overshoots and retries are common. BTW they also hate the electronic Dip Stick...

'12 528i xDrive/Mohave/Beige/Premium/gadgets

'11 M3 - Coupe/Space Gray/Black/Aluminum/Comp/Conv/Cold/Prem2/CF all around

Last edited by stonemik; 06-29-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Boxster S
>>I spoke with the head technician and he said he was going to personally stand over them when they changed the oil...<<

Lol, if he has to stand over them for an OIL CHANGE, what DOESN"T he have to stand over them for? A wiper blade replacement? I think I'd start patronizing another shop... Maybe even Jiffy Lube, lol.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:26 PM

By "complicated" he means the sophisticated engine doesn't have a dipstick! It's like filling your gas tank at an ancient pump before pumps read back pressure to prevent overfills - you just pump it in 'til it feels right. I bet you can't find even the cheapest econobox in this country without a dipstick!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdollie View Post
By "complicated" he means the sophisticated engine doesn't have a dipstick! It's like filling your gas tank at an ancient pump before pumps read back pressure to prevent overfills - you just pump it in 'til it feels right. I bet you can't find even the cheapest econobox in this country without a dipstick!
Maybe it was a weight-saving thing... After all, just think of all the unusual & creative engineering measures that had to go into shrinking my convertible down to a mere 4145 pounds!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalthought View Post
Maybe it was a weight-saving thing... After all, just think of all the unusual & creative engineering measures that had to go into shrinking my convertible down to a mere 4145 pounds!
Not weight savings: pollution control. One less opening on the engine for hydrocarbon vapors to escape into the atmosphere and destroy the planet. Just consider your M3 (and all BMWs) as being very green and eco friendly. Feel better now?

2013 Porsche Boxster S
Old 06-30-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkHouston View Post
Not weight savings: pollution control. One less opening on the engine for hydrocarbon vapors to escape into the atmosphere and destroy the planet. Just consider your M3 (and all BMWs) as being very green and eco friendly. Feel better now?
Jeez, I guess I can sleep now tonight...

Just to report back - they removed 1 qt and the computer said it was too low... then they added in 1/4 qtr stages until the computer accepted the amount... It was 2-3 cap fulls over-filled. Pretty crazy it's that sensitive. Bottom line, no damage and I guess my unfamiliarity with the engine and life with an M3 triggered some anxiety there. They made it right.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 07-01-2012, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
I had just the opposite experience with my 1200 mi. M3 service. I had the service done in St Louis on the way home from the PDC. The next day, while traveling to Kansas City, the low engine oil warning came on and instructed me to add oil. I soon found out that only BMW dealers, by agreement with Castrol, carry 10W 60 synthetic oil. Fortunately, the Nav. System directed me to the nearest BMW dealer in Kansas City, KS who added two quarts of oil before the idrve would indicate that the oil level was acceptable. I believe that just about everyone agrees, except BMW that a dip stick would eliminate the whole oil level issue.:dunno.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
After my 1200 mile service my oil computer reading was half way between maximum and minimum where normally it (and two prior bmw's) were on maximum all the time.

I emailed the service manager about stopping by to top it off but never got a reply in nearly two weeks.

Anyone know the oil volume deficit between maximum and minimum on the bmw display?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX555 View Post
After my 1200 mile service my oil computer reading was half way between maximum and minimum where normally it (and two prior bmw's) were on maximum all the time.

I emailed the service manager about stopping by to top it off but never got a reply in nearly two weeks.

Anyone know the oil volume deficit between maximum and minimum on the bmw display?
i think you have to be at minimum to add a quart. anything more and the addition will be overfiling. also, not sure if you can just put half in and it will register. think that right in the middle is not a problem though. my SA gave me an extra bottle of 10w 60 just in case. you should get one too

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 07-02-2012, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX555 View Post
As stated above.....it's one quart.........Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 640 ED, 2011 M3,
This is a timely thread for me as well......I just went in for my 15,000 oil service......when I went in for my 1200 mile oil service, the oil level as at max(but not above).....this time when I left the dealership, it was halfway between min and max(1/2 quart down, but still in the OK range)......I took the car back and the dealer tried to tell me that this is acceptable and that if I wanted it filled to the max, I would have to purchase the oil myself and top it off......what b***SH*t!!!!.......anyway, I made a scene and finally my SA, toped it off....Not sure what BMW's policy is...anyone know?....of course this is a new dealer for me.....I have in past been working with one dealer(Crevier) which has always been fantastic and recently changed dealer(Pacific) for convenience and now not so sure about going back there even though that is my purchasing dealer....http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/imag...ies/cursin.gif
Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 AM

leejak, I almost hate to tell you but that's a normal and acceptable oil level in my experience. Whether you chose to return there or not is your call but you might want to apologize first if you do. I'm always extra nice to SAs for our cars and I can't tell you how many times they've covered something for me that they didn't have to (either going to bat against the manufacturer or covering something out of dealership funds.)
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
leejak, I almost hate to tell you but that's a normal and acceptable oil level in my experience. Whether you chose to return there or not is your call but you might want to apologize first if you do. I'm always extra nice to SAs for our cars and I can't tell you how many times they've covered something for me that they didn't have to (either going to bat against the manufacturer or covering something out of dealership funds.)
totally agree with this. My SA and i are tight. it helps that he has an E30 m3 and is an absolute enthusiast (and gave me a free quart of 10w 60), but i think going ape sht on your SA because the oil is in the middle of the gauge is a sure fire way to be disappointed in your service experience.

lighten up francis

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I guess it may be normal and acceptable.....does that mean that technically they can just refill to the min mark and still be acceptable?....after all, it will register as OK at the Minimum mark.....what level is acceptable?......it just seems to me that a fresh oil change should be filled to close to that max mark.....and that has been my past experience.....

Anyway, I agree that(at least at my previous service center-Crevier BMW) that they do go out their way to cover things that they don't have to, just baffled by why half a quart of oil was such an argument, especially since it required the inconvenience of a return trip to the service center.....
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
totally agree with this. My SA and i are tight. it helps that he has an E30 m3 and is an absolute enthusiast (and gave me a free quart of 10w 60), but i think going ape sht on your SA because the oil is in the middle of the gauge is a sure fire way to be disappointed in your service experience.

lighten up francis
I was not given the free quart of oil that others seem to be offered.....My SA told me I had to buy the quart of 10w 60 if I wanted to top it off....I guess that is what prompted my disappointment.....
Old 07-08-2012, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
I had a low mileage oil change at about 9k miles and I too discovered the >MAX warning sign. Unfortunately, I had driven it about 150 miles before I was able to get back to my regular dealer. I believe they drained it and left it at midway between MIN and MAX. I knew I probably had to top off anyway before the next oil change so it didn't bother me as much. I rather have it lower than >MAX!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1 View Post
I had a low mileage oil change at about 9k miles and I too discovered the >MAX warning sign. Unfortunately, I had driven it about 150 miles before I was able to get back to my regular dealer. I believe they drained it and left it at midway between MIN and MAX. I knew I probably had to top off anyway before the next oil change so it didn't bother me as much. I rather have it lower than >MAX!
Yes, I see now that too little is better than too much in this case.

Point of thread is we should not settle for the lessor error with something so simple as the single most basic dealer service. While some see this as whining or over reaction, remember "Where there is smoke there is fire". If they commonly screw up the most basic service then how about the inevitable complex services/fixes?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkHouston View Post

I save the planet 12 mpg at a time. It's good to know no hydrocarbon vapors are sneaking out of some pesky dipstick...he he. It is interesting that we need to read the oil level from the dash but if we need to check our tire pressures...well, get out the pressure gauge and start checking each wheel individually. My wife's 2008 Acura TL shows all 4 tire pressures on the dash. Of course she needs to check the oil through an archaic dipstick.

I'd like to find the dipstick who thought we didn't need one.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1 View Post
It just mind boggling to me that BMW does not know the exact amount of oil that is needed to bring the oil level to just below the Max mark.....it's not like one E92 M3 is different from another E92 M3....they all take the exact same oil volume...why don't they just fill every E92 M3 with the same amount?......it seems they re-invent the wheel with every oil change....amazing....
Old 07-09-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: Bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by leejak View Post
I guess it may be normal and acceptable.....does that mean that technically they can just refill to the min mark and still be acceptable?....
Yes. At least while they are warranting the car, yes. Ymmv.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 PM

I hope you guys are kidding about the hyrdrocarbon emissions from the dipstick!?! Dipsticks have a rubber seal that prevents this potentially miniscule emission. A lifetime of dipstick emission wouldn't amount to a minute of SOx tailpipe emissions. I still don't know the real reason these cars don't have a dipstick but I'm certain this isn't it.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
I hope you guys are kidding about the hyrdrocarbon emissions from the dipstick!?! Dipsticks have a rubber seal that prevents this potentially miniscule emission. A lifetime of dipstick emission wouldn't amount to a minute of SOx tailpipe emissions. I still don't know the real reason these cars don't have a dipstick but I'm certain this isn't it.
'

I was kidding. Here is the explanation as reported by Autoblog:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/22/t...n-dilatory-dr/

2013 Porsche Boxster S