Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 05-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 x5 4.4i; '02 330Ci
Thumbs down Weather here sucks! (Drive review - long)

Since I got through the break-in period early in the week, we planned to do a road trip in a loop from Vancouver to Whistler to Lytton to Hope and back this weekend but were stopped short by SNOW!

This morning we woke up in Whistler and it was snowing! We decide to see how far we could go... 30Km North of Pemberton the road goes through a high pass at 1100m (3600ft) and the road was covered in an inch of slush. We turned around (picture below).

Despite the snow, we covered some of the best secondary highway BC has to offer. Anyone who lives in the Pacific Northwest MUST drive the Duffy Lake road at some point in their life! (Although try it later in the summer)

All I can say is this car is AMAZING!!! As we wound our way up the pass, the twisty 15% grade was just begging us to test the limits of the Conti's on the wet pavement. There was a couple of instances coming out of a hairpin where I gave it enough throttle to break the rear loose but after only an instant of wheel slip the DSC got it under control. I find the DSC to be very subtle and not like a slap on the wrist like I was expecting.

The pull of this car is absolutely amazing. There seems to be no end to the power and the car seems to pull just as strong at 6000rpm as it does at 2000rpm. There were a couple of opportunities (one coming out of Brittania Beach) where there is a long double passing lane and a good straight-away after a slow section... I gave it about half-throttle in third and just couldn't believe my ears - absolutely beautiful engine noise. I just couldn't believe how smoothly it pulled to 6000rpm when I shifted to 4th, I was doing about 140kph and had to get on the brakes because the passing lane and some traffic were coming up fast. What a rush! I love this car.

PIC: 30km North of Pemberton...
Old 05-05-2002, 10:10 PM
Parking Spot Maven

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2013 M3
Sorry your trip was cut short, but it still sounds like you had a nice time.

I like that pic of your car, the contrast is nice. But... snow?! Yikes! Isn't it May?

I'm going to Vancouver for 5 days in July, then going on a week cruise to Alaska from there. I've never been north of Oregon, but something tells me I won't be sunbathing on the deck!

--SONET
Old 05-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 x5 4.4i; '02 330Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by SONET
I'm going to Vancouver for 5 days in July, then going on a week cruise to Alaska from there. I've never been north of Oregon, but something tells me I won't be sunbathing on the deck!
July is usually a reliably good month here. You probably won't be disappointed, although it is highly unusual for there to be snow on the highway's in May so who knows what this summer has in store!

I assume you aren't bringing your Bimmer... Too bad. There is some truly outstanding mountainous driving to be had here (when weather permits!).
Old 05-05-2002, 11:08 PM
Parking Spot Maven

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2013 M3
Unfortunately I don't have enough time to drive there and back. Driving up to Oregon at a rapid pace takes 13 hours from here (and by then I'm whipped!)... I'm guessing Vancouver would take twice as long. My clients are going to kill me as it is when they find out I'll be gone nearly two weeks... any longer and they just might lynch me!

I bet you do have some nice roads there. Perhaps I'll spring for a sporty car for a day or two and enjoy the roads while everyone else is out shopping...

--SONET
Old 05-06-2002, 06:24 AM
New car! Mmmmm...

Send a message via Yahoo to Andawyr
Mein Auto: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally posted by SONET
Sorry your trip was cut short, but it still sounds like you had a nice time.

I like that pic of your car, the contrast is nice. But... snow?! Yikes! Isn't it May?

--SONET
He's a BC boy - wuss

In Calgary, it snowed about 20cm last night (about 8 inches) with another 10-20cm today.

Yes, it's May 6th

Glad I wasn't picking up my new toy today. What a bummer that would be! If I'm lucky, it'll be nice in June when I get my 330ci...