Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 AM
God Bless our Troops

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Military/diplomat us maps upon return

To those that purchased their vehicles while on military or diplomatic service, when you returned back to the US, did you pay for US maps to be placed on your navigation? What did you pay? If you did not pay, how were you able to accomplish this?

Im picking up my 2012 X5 in Brunswick on the 5th of July and I will be driving across country to San Diego, (new home) and I have only European test maps on my nav. The dealer in Atlanta wants to charge me $600. I emailed and called BMWNA, and they told me there will be a charge. I argued that this should be part of my purchase price as I purchased a US spec vehicle and it should come with a full data set of US maps and not test maps, for one. They said that the warranty is for defects only, to which I replied, purchased nav without maps is a defect, secondly. Thoughts?

Ard, what is your take, and or advise?

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 06-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Pretty sure they are supposed to do it for you, but you're supposed to do it with your purchasing dealer. I had my headlights switched back on my 1er, since in England they had to put on RHD headlights to pass the SVA inspection when I purchased it. I didn't bother having the headlight switch changed back, I like having the rear foglights.

Don't forget to register the vehicle with BMWNA before it arrives so you have roadside assistance in the US. It takes a week or so, so send the paper work in, should be in your purchase packet, scan it in and email it to: Validations@bmwna.com.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Thanks for asking...how'd ya know I'd look?

First, I'd try and load the 2012 maps. I am willing to be big money that they ALREADY LOADED the FSC code for the US maps as of the production date. There are a couple of threads on this. Heck, I'll send you my dvds and you can give it a try, just promise to send them back.

Second, they are dissembling- this is not a "warranty matter", it is a 'failure to fulfill the purchase contract" issue. You have a few ways to deal with them, from a letter writing battle, to paying a dealer to install them and then doing a chargeback, to just buying the FSC code from Serge for $100 and live with that. Personally, I'd take a pound of flesh out of them- this costs them absolutely nothing- and contractually they most likely are obligated to deliver a "US spec" car with US maps.

You could also find a dealer with an SA who is a vet and see what they do.... if the car has an FSC, their cost is $0 with 10 minutes labor to hook up the car to the computer.

Finally, are you shipping the car back or are they? Just curious.

GL

PM if you need

A
Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 AM

Yeah, the FSC Code should be loaded during PDI at the delivery dealer, so if your dealer in Germany did it, you'll just need the disks. Either way, your delivery dealer should switch everything back to US spec for you before you ship it back to the US, they sold you a US spec vehicle and are supposed to return it back to US spec for you.

As for the dealer in Atlanta, they have no skin in this, they didn't sell you the car, they didn't do the initial delivery of the car, so they're under no obligation to do anything for you. They also can't do anything under warranty/maintenance until your vehicle is registered with BMWNA, so make sure you get that done.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Yeah, the FSC Code should be loaded during PDI at the delivery dealer, so if your dealer in Germany did it, you'll just need the disks. Either way, your delivery dealer should switch everything back to US spec for you before you ship it back to the US, they sold you a US spec vehicle and are supposed to return it back to US spec for you.
I am not sure that the DEALER loads the FSC.... I suspect it is part of the factory load in spartanburg.

Just FYI- I bought a 2012 in 2011, one of the first 12s shipped- and it had a 2011 mapset in it.

When I loaded the 2012 maps I did not need the FSC- it had been pre-activeated at the factory (?). While it did need the map data, it did not need an FSC for it to load.

I'm hoping this is what OP finds.

A
Old 07-01-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I am not sure that the DEALER loads the FSC.... I suspect it is part of the factory load in spartanburg.

Just FYI- I bought a 2012 in 2011, one of the first 12s shipped- and it had a 2011 mapset in it.

When I loaded the 2012 maps I did not need the FSC- it had been pre-activeated at the factory (?). While it did need the map data, it did not need an FSC for it to load.

I'm hoping this is what OP finds.

A
I picked mine up from my delivery dealer last Sat and they hadn't had time to get the FSC code for it. The emailed it to me a few days later and I put it in myself, so I'm pretty sure it's done at PDI, at least for the military sales.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I picked mine up from my delivery dealer last Sat and they hadn't had time to get the FSC code for it. The emailed it to me a few days later and I put it in myself, so I'm pretty sure it's done at PDI, at least for the military sales.
I'm definitely not clear on military sales... Are you saying they gave you the FSC for nav, or an fsc for sirius/xm?

Which PDI? The first PDI when purchased and shipped overseas? Or the PDI when it returns to the USA? And how DOES that return trip work? Does BMW transport it for you, or do you have to arrange the whole thing? just curious...
Old 07-01-2012, 06:25 PM

I did a stateside delivery on this one, ordered the X5 from a dealer in Germany and had it delivered to a dealer in the states. The delivery dealer is responsible for the PDI, whether you take delivery of it overseas or in the US. I'm not sure how Welt delivery works, I assume they PDI it there in Munich.

When you take delivery overseas, it usually includes any conversions that you would need to do so that you can drive the vehicle in the country where you are located. Apparently Germany pretty good about it and you don't have to do much, so I believe they just give you Euro maps and leave the rest as US spec. In England, you have to have RHD headlights, amber turn signals and rear foglights, some of the US vehicles come with amber rears, but if they didn't you have to convert them. On BMWs, it usually means swapping to Euro tail lights. I didn't need to deal with it on my 1er, but I had to get all new headlights, RHD adaptive xenons, as well as the rear fog light switch installed.

Your purchase includes stateside shipping when you need to ship it back. Prior to the stateside shipping, you should get with your delivery dealer and have everything switched back. Then you call up the shipper and schedule a drop off and they give you a choice of 6 ports to ship it to. Takes roughly a 3 to 4 weeks from drop off to an east coast port, I dropped off my 1er in London and picked it up in Baltimore and drove it Denver. When it returns to the states, it doesn't get delivered to a dealer like a Euro delivery does, you just go to the port and pick it up like a private shipment. At that point you need to register it with BMWNA so your warranty and maintenance are good in the US. Even though it's a US spec vehicle, they have no records of it until you register it with them.

In my case, I wanted to get my X5 ASAP, so they didn't have the FSC code for the NAV yet when I picked it up. I haven't activated XM, I get preview channel, so I assume it's working, guess I better do that.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:10 AM
God Bless our Troops

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Ard and ND40oz,

Thanks guys,for all of the input and help. The vehicle is shipped back on BMW's dime. (It is included in the price I paid I am sure.) Next, the X was delivered to me at the Welt, (awesome) which is where I assume the European test map was loaded as ND eluded too.
Ard, I read the forums on here with the FSC's loaded already, and I too think that I have this already loaded on the vehicle, I tried to order the maps through Tisher, but after I placed the order, I got an email saying this product was no longer available. ( I guess BMW has got on, and doesn't want to make the disks available to us anymore.)
I agree with taking the pound of flesh as well. The cost is not the issue, it is the principle. The only problem is, that I want to get this done so I can have my maps and POIs for my cross country trip coming up beginning in 3 days! (It will be awesome.) I am already in San Diego, (arrived last night, its now 3am and I am awake already) and I head to Brunswick on the 4th. So I think I will be fighting BMW on this via letters and such.
Again, thanks for everything.

Doc.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

like i said, pm if you want to borrow the dvds....