Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Is there a Hill Start assistant for the MT?

I'm not quite sure what the feature was called, but my '06 530i had a "hill holding" feature that would automatically apply the brakes for you when stopped on an incline as you pulled your right foot from the brake pedal and moved it to the gas. I think it would hold the car for a couple of seconds, or until you had engaged the clutch and were moving forward. I'm not seeing anything in the literature about it for the F30. Did the E90 have it?

Living in Florida I'm driving on flat surfaces 99.9% of the time, so without practice comes a little "rust." On those occasional sojourns to the mountains and such, the feature helps prevent a lot of anxiety. I'm fairly confident that I will get a good forward start 99% of the time, and know to use the handbrake to hold the car. Still the feature is comforting and it was nice to have that "backup." I'm wondering if the feature is included on the F30, but just not mentioned in the literature anymore.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bimmer
I would expect so.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428i M-Coupe
The 335i coupe that I used to drive had it. Would hold the brake for I think 2/3 seconds.

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Old 06-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
The 335i coupe that I used to drive had it. Would hold the brake for I think 2/3 seconds.
Good. That answers the question as to whether the E9x generation had the feature.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 06-30-2012, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: Bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
Good. That answers the question as to whether the E9x generation had the feature.
And I was able to find the answer to your question in 30 seconds on the net!

Geez.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyandRich View Post
And I was able to find the answer to your question in 30 seconds on the net!

Geez.
Well, your earlier post was, "I would expect so." Do you have some documented information as to whether it's featured on the F30? Where? I've searched and can't find it. That doesn't mean the info is not out there, just that "I" haven't found it.

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 06-30-2012, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: ~
The answer is "yes," what BMW calls "Drive-off assistant." It holds the vehicle for approximately two seconds after release of the foot brake on both MT and, surprisingly, AT cars.

P.S. As a competent MT driver, you will not need it.

Last edited by Elk; 06-30-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
The answer is "yes," what BMW calls "Drive-off assistant." It holds the vehicle for approximately two seconds after release of the foot brake on both MT and, surprisingly, AT cars.
Thank you! That's good to know. While certainly not a deal breaker, I liked the feature on the old E60.

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 06-30-2012, 08:19 PM

One other thing, I am sure I will be pilloried for this here but the new 6MT in the 2012+ Mustang is better than the 6MT in the BMW and the clutch is lighter and more easily modulated. Seriously. (Before loudly disclaiming this anyone, go drive one of the newest Mustangs. The new transmission is much better than the older T56. The car is also a great performance yuck/buck.)

The F30 335 and your Mustang weigh the same at roughly 3,600 pounds. The Mustang is easier to address on hills and stop/go traffic and, BTW, very track competent.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 MG 328i Sport 6MT
I was able to make my way down to ATL to drive a 328i 6MT, and I can confirm that the hill assist is included and works well. I'm a relatively new manual driver and appreciate this back up.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
One other thing, I am sure I will be pilloried for this here but the new 6MT in the 2012+ Mustang is better than the 6MT in the BMW and the clutch is lighter and more easily modulated. Seriously. (Before loudly disclaiming this anyone, go drive one of the newest Mustangs. The new transmission is much better than the older T56. The car is also a great performance yuck/buck.)

The F30 335 and your Mustang weigh the same at roughly 3,600 pounds. The Mustang is easier to address on hills and stop/go traffic and, BTW, very track competent.
Well, I've been quite satisfied with the Getrag MT-82 shifter in my mustang, although there are many who are not and have replaced them with after market products. It does have the ridiculous "skip shift" feature (another PITA "green" idea, like ASS in the new bimmers) but I had that disabled and everything is completely satisfactory. I don't know who is producing the MTs for BMW, but the one in my E60 was slick, shifting snicikity-snick right through the gears.

A short while back I saw that BMW had patented a 7 speed shift pattern for MTs for future use. I'd love it, but will be buying to soon for that.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/06/p...-speed-manual/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-7-speed-manual-transmision1.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	331261  

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 07-01-2012, 05:51 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utnuc View Post
I was able to make my way down to ATL to drive a 328i 6MT, and I can confirm that the hill assist is included and works well. I'm a relatively new manual driver and appreciate this back up.
That's great to know. Now that I've been given the proper name for the feature, I've found the write up for it in the owner's manual. Sweet!

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 07-01-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Well, I've been quite satisfied with the Getrag MT-82 shifter in my mustang, although there are many who are not and have replaced them with after market products. It does have the ridiculous "skip shift" feature (another PITA "green" idea, like ASS in the new bimmers) but I had that disabled and everything is completely satisfactory.
The shifter itself can be very personal, and many like shorter throws than stock. It is easy to replace, too.

Fortunately skip-shift can be eliminated with a well-placed resistor. My Z06 also came with a 1-4 skip-shift.

Thank you for the 7-speed pattern image, quite interesting. I have not seen a pattern go sidewise. It eliminates an extra movement and would help to indicate where you are in the pattern. Clever.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
The shifter itself can be very personal, and many like shorter throws than stock. It is easy to replace, too.

Fortunately skip-shift can be eliminated with a well-placed resistor. My Z06 also came with a 1-4 skip-shift.
Yes, the fix is quite simple, even easier in the stang. You just have to unplug the solenoid from the tranny.

Quote:
Thank you for the 7-speed pattern image, quite interesting. I have not seen a pattern go sidewise. It eliminates an extra movement and would help to indicate where you are in the pattern. Clever.
I think it's a great idea. A simple shift on the highway to a "super overdrive," and have incredible gas mileage on long trips. Perfect!

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 07-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
The E93 came with it in 09. It is a very nice feature. N4S
Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
I would not like this feature.

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 07-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
I would not like this feature.
LOL, you better cancel your order!

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 07-02-2012, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
Quote:

P.S. As a competent MT driver, you will not need it.
Why is that? While my Bimmer has a DCT, my Honda S2000 has a slick little six-speed MT that works like a bolt-action rifle and I find that I use the hand brake on inclines in the S2000 all the time. Is there a better technique?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Why is that? While my Bimmer has a DCT, my Honda S2000 has a slick little six-speed MT that works like a bolt-action rifle and I find that I use the hand brake on inclines in the S2000 all the time. Is there a better technique?
Finessing the brake release, clutch release and depressing the accelerator for a smooth take off with no backward roll on a hill is just as much about confidence as it is about skill. I've never used the hand brake on an incline, but it seems to me that it is just an added complication, but to each his own. I would just use whatever technique makes you feel comfortable- practice can improve the confidence significantly. I was lucky to have a safe place to learn to master incline take offs when I was a kid on my parents' long, very steep driveway 17 yrs ago. The clutch went out on that car after 70,000 miles, but I learned a lot!

BTW- I've never exerperienced the "drive-off assistant," but I don't like the idea of it...I never give hill take-offs a second thought in my car or motorcycle.
Aug 20, 2012 ED pickup (Re-delivered 9/29/2012): 2013 335i M Sport, 6MT, Alpine White, Leather Dakota Coral Red, High-gloss black trim, Tech Package, Cold Weather Package, Dynamic Handling Package, rearview camera, park distance control, red M Performance brakes, M Performance exhaust, H&R Sport springs, M Performance grilles, matched reflectors, F10 M5 rep wheels, BMS clutch stop

Last edited by lukeb817; 07-02-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
Finessing the brake release, clutch release and depressing the accelerator for a smooth take off with no backward roll on a hill is just as much about confidence as it is about skill. I've never used the hand brake on an incline, but it seems to me that it is just an added complication, but to each his own. I would just use whatever technique makes you feel comfortable- practice can improve the confidence significantly. I was lucky to have a safe place to learn to master incline take offs when I was a kid on my parents' long, very steep driveway 17 yrs ago. The clutch went out on that car after 70,000 miles, but I learned alot!

BTW- I've never exerperienced the "drive-off assistant," but I don't like the idea of it...I never give hill take-offs a second thought in my car or motorcycle.
Well, I think a confidence builder is 90% of what the feature is. For someone like me who is from Florida, and for whom the area driven daily is totally flat, the chance to practice hill starts is almost nil. Consider that we are now in a society where 90% or more of the drivers drive ATs, and most of them have never, or have not in a long time, driven a stick. They rarely, if ever, see a car rolling backward at a stop sign or stop light. They've never done it themselves. In their own minds there is never a thought that it can happen. Their tendency is to stop 3" (or so it seems) from your back bumper. Years ago, when 50% or more of the population was driving cars with MTs, I'm sure a lot more consideration was given to the space needed for the car in front of you when stopped on a hill.

So, for me, I like the idea of having the feature. For those who are 100% confident that they would NEVER slip back a few inches, I doubt you would ever feel the feature at work. I'm pretty sure that the brakes, when controlled by the drive-off assistant feature, release the moment you begin your forward motion.

Now my other car, the Mustang, doesn't have the feature, and I'm "OK." So, it's not a deal breaker for me, but I like it. I don't buy MT cars for the "joy" of starting off on hills.

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM
conf t

Mein Auto: 2014 328xdT M Sport
Quote:
LOL, you better cancel your order!
I think he's talking about the Skip Shift feature... don't think the F30 has it (or any BMW model for that matter).

Current: '14 F31 328d xDrive M Sport.
Gone: '09 E90 328i xDrive.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
Finessing the brake release, clutch release and depressing the accelerator for a smooth take off with no backward roll on a hill is just as much about confidence as it is about skill. I've never used the hand brake on an incline, but it seems to me that it is just an added complication, but to each his own. I would just use whatever technique makes you feel comfortable- practice can improve the confidence significantly. I was lucky to have a safe place to learn to master incline take offs when I was a kid on my parents' long, very steep driveway 17 yrs ago. The clutch went out on that car after 70,000 miles, but I learned a lot!
Thanks for the response. Dunno, while mountainous terrain clutch-only launches are certainly easier in my brother's 550 HP Mustang SVT with a baziilion foot pounds of torque than they are on my little Honda with 150 ft. lbs torque, I have a hard time getting past the feeling that, particularly on the S2000, they're harder on clutches than hand brake launches.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
I think he's talking about the Skip Shift feature... don't think the F30 has it (or any BMW model for that matter).
"I see said the blind man."
Sorry Jon! If you were speaking of the skip shift feature, you couldn't be more right.

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
I drive a manual now, the F30 is for my wife mostly...

I like being in control when starting on a hill; I prefer not having an "assistant"...

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
I drive a manual now, the F30 is for my wife mostly...

I like being in control when starting on a hill; I prefer not having an "assistant"...

It's really not so bad. I don't think most people can even notice the feature at work. What you would hate, for sure, is "skip shift," an "eco" device that Ford and GM are implementing on their cars equipped with manual transmissions. Hopefully BMW never goes that route!

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos: