Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:50 PM
It's good to be bad

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Msport
Door panel LED's

I noticed tonight that my door panels are not illuminated, other than the window switches. Is there supposed to be a strip of LED's above the door handle that illuminates it? If so I'm wondering if I turned them off during coding? If that's possible, anyone have the code so I can go back and turn on? I've gone back and double checked everything and don't believe I turned them off.

2015 X5D M Sport - Delivered
2014 535i M Sport - Delivered
2012 X5 Msport - Retired
2012 X5 Msport - deceased
2008 335i Dinan stage2, Forged 360 wheels- Retired
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2013, 02:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 335i
Re: Door panel LED's

There is a strip of lights under the door trim panel that runs the length of the door

Sent from my GT-I9500 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-28-2013, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
You have the extra LED strip is you have the Ambient Lighting Package. Not sure if it is standard for 2014, but used to be optional. You might check your Idrive settings for Lighting and see if you have an option to turn it off.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:28 PM
It's good to be bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
You have the extra LED strip is you have the Ambient Lighting Package. Not sure if it is standard for 2014, but used to be optional. You might check your Idrive settings for Lighting and see if you have an option to turn it off.
Yes I have them, you can select modern for white light or classic for orange light. What I figured out is, even with the brightness turned all the way up, they're extremely dim!

2012 X5 Msport - Retired
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I noticed tonight that my door panels are not illuminated, other than the window switches. Is there supposed to be a strip of LED's above the door handle that illuminates it? If so I'm wondering if I turned them off during coding? If that's possible, anyone have the code so I can go back and turn on? I've gone back and double checked everything and don't believe I turned them off.

Increase the backlight/ ambient light intensity using the wheel right of your Light Switch.

Could you post a pic of what your ambient lighting looks like when turned up to max? You mentioned it's "dim".

Is it this bright? If it is, then you want it be even brighter?

Last edited by octopump; 10-29-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:32 AM
It's good to be bad

My dash lights are that bright, but the footwell and door panels are no where near that. To adjust the footwell and door panel brightness, that's done under Sertings>lighting>interior and that setting is turned all the way up. The dash illumination wheel next to the light switch only adjusts the dash lights and I always leave that all the way up.

2012 X5 Msport - Retired

Last edited by skalberti; 10-29-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

So they changed it for the LCI. I am thinking it's different "hardware"/ LEDs strips to accomodate the fact that now they can be orange or white.

For prior year models, that wheel adjusts the ambient lighting/ instrument cluster/ iDrive screen/ center console buttons backlight intensity all at the same time and max is too bright for my taste for instance.

I have never seen anything relating to the LEDs in FRM. Looked for a while to increase the intensity for the B&O sound package white LEDs. Just recently, the latest integration level seems to have made them brighter but even with the latest version, I still can't find anything in FRM.

Last edited by octopump; 10-29-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 AM
It's good to be bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopump View Post
So they changed it for the LCI. I am thinking it's different "hardware"/ LEDs strips to accomodate the fact that now they can be orange or white.

For prior year models, that wheel adjusts the ambient lighting/ instrument cluster/ iDrive screen/ center console buttons backlight intensity all at the same time and max is too bright for my taste for instance.

I have never seen anything relating to the LEDs in FRM. Looked for a while to increase the intensity for the B&O sound package white LEDs. Just recently, the latest integration level seems to have made them brighter but even with the latest version, I still can't find anything in FRM.
Well in FRM of the LCI you have "modern" and "classic' lighting settings. However I also found a "sport" setting and coded it. It had no affect on the lighting. Sport appeared in the Idrive and you could select it, but the lights didn't work. So with the brightness all the way up, the "classic" setting is brighter than the "modern" but even still classic is not as bright as other BMW's I've seen. 2nd pick is the classic and last pic is modern. If you look closely in the last pic, you can barely see a white line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	404611   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	404612   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	404613  

2012 X5 Msport - Retired
Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Brevity = soul of wit

Look into HU_NBT as well. Perhaps it needs be done in there or another module in conjunction with what's in FRM.

But I would take it in. I have never seen this and I don't think it's "normal".

Last edited by octopump; 10-29-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
I love the ambient lighting in BMW. Gotta get it to work.

Last edited by elan; 11-10-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535iX
I just picked up a 2014 535xi and it's the same way. In complete darkness I can see a little bit of light on my hand when it's over the shifter but it's barely noticeable. Switching from classic to modern changes the light color but it isn't brighter. My first night in the car I figured they did away with the ambient lighting until I found the iDrive setting
Old 11-13-2013, 06:59 PM
It's good to be bad

Door panel LED's

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomb View Post
I just picked up a 2014 535xi and it's the same way. In complete darkness I can see a little bit of light on my hand when it's over the shifter but it's barely noticeable. Switching from classic to modern changes the light color but it isn't brighter. My first night in the car I figured they did away with the ambient lighting until I found the iDrive setting
But even with the brightness turned all the way up in idrive, it's still too dim. That's a fail BMW

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2012 X5 Msport - Retired
Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 ZCP
Just wondering if anyone has found anything related to this issue. The LCI F10's ambience lighting is extremely dim. There are 2 controls - the instrumental cluster dial next to the light switch, and the brightness control in iDrive.

Both settings are directly related to each other. The dial is like the "master", and the iDrive setting controls the brightness of ambience in respect to the dial. So the max brightness is only achieved if and only if you maximize the dial as well as the iDrive setting. Even so, ambience is still quite dim / barely visible. This is very different than our E92 and E89 where ambience is clearly visible.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 740Li
My LCI F02 is the same... subbed for some answers too...
Old 02-10-2014, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi
On my 2014 F30, setting FEM_BODY -> 3070 -> AMBIENTE_NACHFUEHRUNG to nicht_aktiv makes the iDrive ambient light brightness setting independent from the dial that sets the instrument cluster.

Regardless, I've always thought the ambient light was sufficient, along the lines of post #5.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
On my 2014 F30, setting FEM_BODY -> 3070 -> AMBIENTE_NACHFUEHRUNG to nicht_aktiv makes the iDrive ambient light brightness setting independent from the dial that sets the instrument cluster.

Regardless, I've always thought the ambient light was sufficient, along the lines of post #5.
Does this make the ambient light any brighter? Because in my F02 LCI, it is significantly dimmer than that of my late E65.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 PM

I was looking at FRM, under "3045 COLOUR_SWITCH, 20", I found a bunch of various setting but I am a little confused, hopefully someone more knowledgable is able to enlighten me?

The part I am most confused is that it seems some value are in HEX while some is in DEC %? (Is it at all common that value are mixed value type? or should I assume its always HEX?)

More specifically, the following entries are of most interest.

CS_AMB_BRIGHTNESS
Kommentar=Ambient brightness Obergrenze für die Umgebungshelligkeit
Comment = Ambient brightness Upper limit for the ambient brightness
Default Value = 64 (seeing as the below setting is a HEX value, thus I assume this setting is also in HEX, which makes this 100)

CS_AMB_MIN_BRIGHTNESS
Kommentar=Min Amb brightness Untergrenze für die Umgebungshelligkeit
Comment = Min Amb brightness Lower limit of the ambient brightness
Default Value = 0A (In decimal this is 10)

CS_AMB_MAX_OFFSET
Kommentar=Max amb brightness offset Helligkeit für PWM-Ausgang in Prozent physikalischen Wert 20% ... 80%
Comment = Max amb brightness offset Brightness for PWM output as a percentage physical value of 20% ... 80%
Default Value = 30

CS_AMB_MAX_OFFSET is where I am most confused, is this a HEX value or a decimal value? HEX would mean 48% which is a little odd, but if it is a percentage value, meaning 30%, then maybe I have found the solution to our LCI dim ambient light problem? Or does this setting mean something else all together? since I dont really trust Google Translate.

I am no expert in electronics, but I do however have some understanding. LEDs are very easily burnt with over-voltage, but PWM means pulse-width modulation, which essentially making the LEDs flash which creates the illusion of dimming, since LEDs doesnt dim as such. So in this particular case, the LEDs are only on for 30% of each duty cycle, with a 100% value meaning always-on. Which will result in it appearing brighter.

If my theory is correct, then there shouldnt be an over-voltage problem, but I just dont understand the mixing of hex values and decimal values, because shouldnt the value FF(255) be 100%?

However it is very cold here and I dont have an indoor garage, so I am unwilling to actually code this into my car as of this moment, if anyone is willing to try this on their car, please report back on your results, otherwise I will try it when the weather warms up...
Old 02-11-2014, 09:31 PM
It's good to be bad

The COLOR SWITCh is for the F10's to switch from classic orange to modern white light in the foot wells and door panels. If you don't have both colored LEDS, nothing will change after coding. There are a couple other names listed in the drop down window if you go in to edit in E SYS. Whatever name you pick it will still display white light.

2012 X5 Msport - Retired
Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
The COLOR SWITCh is for the F10's to switch from classic orange to modern white light in the foot wells and door panels. If you don't have both colored LEDS, nothing will change after coding. There are a couple other names listed in the drop down window if you go in to edit in E SYS. Whatever name you pick it will still display white light.
Is this reply directed at me? My F02 has both classic and modern LEDs and my previous reply discuss the potiential ability of changing the brightness of our ambient lighting and not the colour.

However, in my personal opinion, doing away with the iconic BMW orange is a little silly, besides, your various buttons would still be orange. But I would not deny the ability to make my lights pink just for the fact that I can... whether I would actually use it would be something else...
Old 02-12-2014, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonY View Post
Does this make the ambient light any brighter? Because in my F02 LCI, it is significantly dimmer than that of my late E65.
I don't think it changed the brightness, just separated the two controls. Brightness was never an issue for me.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 AM
It's good to be bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonY View Post
Is this reply directed at me? My F02 has both classic and modern LEDs and my previous reply discuss the potiential ability of changing the brightness of our ambient lighting and not the colour.

However, in my personal opinion, doing away with the iconic BMW orange is a little silly, besides, your various buttons would still be orange. But I would not deny the ability to make my lights pink just for the fact that I can... whether I would actually use it would be something else...
Yep, I was just stating that the color switch has nothing to do with brightness.

2012 X5 Msport - Retired
Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Yep, I was just stating that the color switch has nothing to do with brightness.
But I am not talking about the colour switch? The entries I listed specifically notes brightness controls... which I thought trying to increase brightness was part of the original discussion or have I gone off topic? I am just a little confused because you are only refering back to colour switch and none of the options I listed... have you already tried adjusting these values or does it not exist for your particular platform? but I guess I really have to suit up and go test it...

Back to my offline investigation... in my CAFD I dont see any entries relating to allowing me to unlock any other colours such as "Sports" which you mentioned... even if it doesnt work... all I have is mit_switch(with switch) or kein_switch... but from what I can see... it does allows up to 6 different colour combinations by controling 2 PWM.

In which under each options has 2 entries which is percentage value of pulse width. (So I am sure somewhere down the path BMW could actually introduce an RGB system where almost full colours are possible)

Example: (I would assume this is Classic)
CS_COLOUR_1_PWM_OUTPUT_1 = 100%
CS_COLOUR_1_PWM_OUTPUT_2 = 0%

COLOUR 2 is the other way around... COLOUR 3 has both 100%... which leads me to think that it is possible to turn on both the "Classic" and "Modern" LEDs at the same time. However I am just not presented with a third option within iDrive.

If someone has actually tried altering these values, please let me know the results, otherwise I will suit up and try these few nights... very cold outside...
Old 06-06-2014, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: f10 550i 2014
did anyone ever figure out if the ambient lighting can become brighter then the max setting it is now? I have a f10 550 2014
Old 01-06-2015, 12:13 PM

Yes.

But it's not elegant.

Change CS_AMB_MIN_BRIGHTNESS to about 50 (works for me with black leather) and your ambient lights will be at a fixed brightness which is quite bright, but not too bright. The dimmer wheel and iDrive settings for brightness will have no effect. Tweak the value to your liking - it's a hex value where normal minimum is 0A (10) and max is 64 (100). So 50 hex is 80 decimal (80%). I guess that if you have lighter coloured leather then you might want to try a lesser value.

For the record, changing the offset value seems to subtly change the mid point of the iDrive brightness control, but the max brightness stays the same.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5, F10 528ix
Great find. Changing CS_AMB_MIN_BRIGHTNESS to 50 made my ambient lights MUCH brighter. I also tried changing CS_AMB_MAX_OFFSET from 70 to 80, but it didn't seem to make a difference.