Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
03 e65 Arrows flashing and tranny fault

Ok guys see if you can help me out here! I have the trans Fluid and the sleeve on the tranny plug changed! Then the other day I was in DRIVE and i was pulling out and the car went back in to PARK and started doing this... Please anyone help me bout to drive into a lake
Ads by Google
Old 07-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Old 07-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Have you pulled any codes yet? I would guess you have the seal between the mechatronics and oil pump causing low oil pressure and therefore slipping clutches resulting in gear ratio errors. The transmission will automatically engage park in an attempt to prevent it damaging itself.

It's also possible you have a buildup of clutch debris on either of the internal speed sensors causing poor readings and it thinking the input and output speeds are out of limits also causing ratio errors.

Either way, drop the pan and pull the mechatronics, a good visual inspection and clean will likely do the job. Won't cost much either.

Stuart
Old 07-01-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Have you pulled any codes yet? I would guess you have the seal between the mechatronics and oil pump causing low oil pressure and therefore slipping clutches resulting in gear ratio errors. The transmission will automatically engage park in an attempt to prevent it damaging itself.

It's also possible you have a buildup of clutch debris on either of the internal speed sensors causing poor readings and it thinking the input and output speeds are out of limits also causing ratio errors.

Either way, drop the pan and pull the mechatronics, a good visual inspection and clean will likely do the job. Won't cost much either.

Stuart
Havnt pulled codes yet.. Also it didnt start doing this until I changed that rubber sleeve around that plug. First time it happened the car wouldnt start and arrows were flashing. Now it will do it when car is running. And everytime I take it to the shop they pull that plug and there is tranny fluid on the inside the sleeve covering the plug. They clean the plug and the pins and everything goes back the normal!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 PM

Ok sounds like you have an oil leak in the sleeve, the flashing lights will also indicate a CAN BUS error, this would be caused by oil in the connector. Have the seal replaced again.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
I know it sounds crazy, but make sure they are actually putting it all the way in and snapping the white clip back in place without manhandling the clip. Also, make sure the O-rings on that new sealing sleeve are raised, not flattened. If they had to really manhandle it to get it in, maybe shine a flashlight through and make sure you don't have a crack in the plug housing on the mechatronicunit itself. Good luck!

+1 StuartJohn. Looks like we were typing at the same time.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 07-01-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:46 PM

No I havnt changed the sleeve again. Shop was thinking that the transmission module was leaking. Also u can always tell when it's goin to happen cause the dsc light will come on. And the gear light will come on. And as soon as I turn car off over night the next morning it want start. Also when I'm driving and push in the brake it says repeat gear salutation. Any ideas on that
Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 AM

I'm sure all the problems you are experiencing are due to CAN BUS interruptions caused by the oil in the connector.

Kief, good point about the mechatronic housing itself!

It sounds like the garage that fitted the sleeve has damaged either the mechatronics or the new sleeve putting it back together. I know the new sleeves are a real pain to fit!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750Li
Great info!!

Had some of the exact same symptoms 07 750Li...entire vehicle going into failsafe mode intermittently. Found that there was a communication fault in the K-CAN and PT-CAN bus lines. They found RTV silicone in the EGS control unit connector which was shorting out the bus line randomly depending on the vibration of the vehicle. Replaced connector, pins and housing. Labor 558.87....Parts 96.68....Supplies 19.87....Tax 6.04....Total 681.46
Old 08-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: ...
not sure if this is going to help..but had""trans failsafe mode""on my 02 e39...transmission was shifting good but every morning when i put the key in in position 2nd not even starting the message appeared....after taking the key out for a second it would dissappear...so took the pan off didnt find any metal debris so that was a good sign...my scanner showed dtc p0967 which was pressure solenoid B high circuit...
so i have checked all the connections at tranny and at EGS everything was good...changed fluid and filter put it all together and SAME THING....i knew tranny didn't have any mechanical damage even at 192000 miles..it was steptronic with auto/sport and manual shifting...so i couldn't sleep for couple days trying to figure out the problem and cause of tranny failsafe...
so took apart tranny pan and checked resistance on every solenoid and speed sensor..everything within specs....trace each wire from tranny back to egs for continuity since i was thinking there is a short and still nothing everything was good.....so bought new solenoid it was like 85 dollars from dealer...put it all back together..new fluid and filter again( at least the fluid was clean) and still same message...
so finally i checked all the ground connections at the chassis and same thing..nothing changed...so my last resort was try EGS swap...didn't know anybody here with e39 so i bought one at quarry motors here in naples( good guys) for 55 cash instead of 1000 plus new....put it in and everything was perfect...no more trans failsafe mode.....drove a car for 2k miles and sold it for 9500 cash
i would look at connectors and electronic part of tranny just like many have mentioned...

good day
Old 08-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Mechatronic adapter and sleeve