Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Psych-oh!

Send a message via AIM to wmndriver Send a message via Yahoo to wmndriver
Mein Auto: 07 e92 328XI
Partial oil service?

I took my car in this morning for an oil service. I have ~8,500 miles on the car, but it will be 1 year old in two weeks. My SA told me that the service odometer will still read 7,500 miles to the next service because they were not going to do the full 15k service - rather, they would do a partial oil service (change filters, top off as needed). Is this the usual protocol?

Advertisement
Old 06-09-2004, 10:01 AM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
At 1 year if you haven't driven ~15,000 miles, they are supposed to do a full oil service (change oil and filter) and not reset the service interval thing.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 06-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Psych-oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ·clyde·
At 1 year if you haven't driven ~15,000 miles, they are supposed to do a full oil service (change oil and filter) and not reset the service interval thing.
Ok. I'll look at the receipt to see exactly what they did. The way he said it was odd - and it was too early in the morning for my brain to absorb and react to ask him about it.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 325i
At 1 year, if you didn't trip the oil service indicator, you get an oil change only, not a full oil service.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claresecl
I took my car in this morning for an oil service. I have ~8,500 miles on the car, but it will be 1 year old in two weeks. My SA told me that the service odometer will still read 7,500 miles to the next service because they were not going to do the full 15k service - rather, they would do a partial oil service (change filters, top off as needed). Is this the usual protocol?
No, they should do the whole oil service. I had a similar situation, and when I went in for 15k service they did the complete change, oil and filters.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:10 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
warrantees are X miles/N years which ever comes first. shouldn't service provided be like that too.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:16 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Joe
No, they should do the whole oil service. I had a similar situation, and when I went in for 15k service they did the complete change, oil and filters.
The low mileage (but at least annual) policy is not a full oil service. Somewhere Pinecone posted a copy of the BMWNA policy; I'm too lazy to do a search, but basically it only includes filters and oil.

EDIT: I did a search and found this, I posted it here to save you the click (thanks to Pinecone for the research).

Annual Oil Change SI

BMW issued SI 00 04 01 today (10/25/01) to clarify the oil change situation for low annual mileage owners.

“A limited number of BMW owners accumulate very low mileage on their BMWs annually, in some situations insufficient for the Service Interval Indicator System to call for an Oil Service or Inspection. However, all BMWs should have an engine oil change at a minimum of once a year, regardless of whether synthetic or petroleum-based oil is used.”

As a part of the BMW Maintenance Program your dealer should perform the annual oil service and update/stamp the Service and Warranty Information Statement but SHOULD NOT RE-SET THE SERVICE INDICATOR SYSTEM.

If your driving pattern remains constant (i.e., low mileage) the Service Interval Indicator System will under most circumstances ( i.e., excluding really low annual mileages) call for an Oil Service within the next 12 months at which time your BMW Center’s service department should perform the oil service (including oil filter replacement), update/stamp the Service and Warranty Information Statement and RE-SET THE SERVICE INDICATOR SYSTEM.

If the annual oil service occurs within 60 days of the time when the Service Indicator System would call for an Oil Service or Inspection, then the upcoming service should be performed and the Service Indicator System reset.

In situations where you request a more frequent oil service (at your own expense) than as called for by the Service Interval Indicator System, the same logic applies – your dealer should not reset the Service Indicator System until the maintenance is performed that is called for by the System. This is especially critical for vehicles still covered by the BMW Maintenance Program.

Please see your BMW Center’s service department for more details or questions. My only purpose here is to acquaint you with the basics."

An OIL SERVICE, done in accorance to the SI includes more than just changing the oil and reseting the SI.

Last edited by Scott ZHP; 06-09-2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:22 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP
The low mileage (but at least annual) policy is not a full oil service. Somewhere Pinecone posted a copy of the BMWNA policy; I'm too lazy to do a search, but basically it only includes filters and oil.
then they should really make an exception for low mileage owners in regards to the warrantee period like remove the number of years part of it.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Psych-oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP
EDIT: I did a search and found this, I posted it here to save you the click (thanks to Pinecone for the research).

Thanks, Scott!