Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Mein Auto: E46 M3Cic6MT, E39 540iT
Help Needed With Undertray and Fasteners?

So my new-to-me 540iT gets a vigorous bill of health after its first trip to the lift..

However oddly and irritatingly enough I'm missing all the undertrays.

I think I've figured out the front plastic engine tray is #9 in the first diagram. Three questions:
  1. How many fasteners and which ones do I need to mount it? The diagram makes it look like typica Dzus speed nuts like my S6 has, but then the page also shows regular sheet metal bolts like my M3 has..., I found a pic of the plastic tray online and it looked like 8 bolts were required, irritatingly the ETK/REALOEM data does not say exactly how many fasteners required because they assume the dealer will do the work with a big bucket next to him I guess.
  2. Are there any further covers that are supposed to go down the back of the car? The M3 has several more as you go rearward and I swear the last E39 I was under did as well - now I"m wishing I took pics... Looks like maybe 17 and 19 are also covers unless they are the heat shields that go above stuff? If those are plastic covers its kinda making it add up to a big bill unless I can find a used set...
  3. Lastly do I need the other "Aggregate Protection Plate" shown in the second diagram? Confusing what is needed and what is not, except I'm obviously missing everything. Is that part of the OEM setup or is that an extra skidplate?

Thanks in advance for any help...

2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (hers)
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Some Stuff FS

Last edited by geargrinder; 07-02-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

- Oh yeah and I'm missing a "Pork Chop" too which I didn't even know was a thing but there you go I need one.

Some Stuff FS
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
Things might be different because you have an iT and/or if it's an auto trans car, but most US-market e39s probably only came with the large undercover that fits under the front half of the engine compartment (forward of the engine oil sump to the rad) and the smaller covers that run along the left/right sides underneath the cabin. Can you actually see your fuel filter (under driver's side of cabin)? Can you see all the stuff in your engine compartment from underneath?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
Things might be different because you have an iT and/or if it's an auto trans car, but most US-market e39s probably only came with the large undercover that fits under the front half of the engine compartment (forward of the engine oil sump to the rad) and the smaller covers that run along the left/right sides underneath the cabin. Can you actually see your fuel filter (under driver's side of cabin)? Can you see all the stuff in your engine compartment from underneath?
Yeah there's no doubt I'm missing the front one. When my mechanic tossed it up in the air, I walked over and asked "uh did you pull the covers off already!?!?" And he went "hey... you're right... no undertray".

That main one must be the one plastic one. I'm assuming the "aggregate protection plate" is some kind of optional skid plate / gravel (aggregate) plate for rough roads...

I think I'm missing the side ones too but for complicated long story reasons I didn't snap underbody pics like I would have liked while it was up, I'll peer under in the driveway and confirm in a bit... But I think not.

BTW I can't find anything in ETK/REALOEM that indicates Touring or Auto is different for covers... I6 vs V8 yes seems different but within the motor I don't see any "for vehicles with automatic" notes...

Some Stuff FS
Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 530i MSport
engine covers

I just purchased a new centre cover for my 02 530i M Sport from ECS Tuning, the cover comes with the all the fasteners, but you will need to get some of the anchor clips that they go into. My part number is 51712695680, go to ECS and have a look at the photo.

Mine is only for the M tehnic bumper but I would think other central covers come with the fasteners too. I do know the outer pork chop covers dont come with the fasteners.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:39 AM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibo58 View Post
I just purchased a new centre cover for my 02 530i M Sport from ECS Tuning, the cover comes with the all the fasteners, but you will need to get some of the anchor clips that they go into. My part number is 51712695680, go to ECS and have a look at the photo.

Mine is only for the M tehnic bumper but I would think other central covers come with the fasteners too. I do know the outer pork chop covers dont come with the fasteners.
OK - good to know... I know I have a different cover for the V8 but good to know about the fasteners. Are they those Dzus style speed-fasteners or screws? I'll have to look underneath to see if I seem to have the sockets there still or not... The porkchops are sheet metal screws I think since I have one left on the drivers side...

Some Stuff FS
Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
Bellypan
You have s correct you need part #9 which lacks and line indicating which part is goes to in real oem (BMW fans does have the line see link below).For a 540iT you need part # 51 71 8 159 981 (it looks like it is the same for sedans and tourings, autos and manuals). BMW lists it as "engine compartment screening" and people on the boards usually refer to it as and "undertray" like you did or a "bellypan"

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...trim/air_duct/

Hardware
When you order the bellypan it may come with a couple of screws attached to it, but I don't think it usually has all of them. So you will probably need to order some more. You will need
  • Screws part # 51-71-8-218-323 part #10 in diagram [there is also part # 51-71-8-218-852 which is slightly longer when I was doing my M bumper and belly pan conversion I read somewhere that you need you only need 2 or 3) of these. I'm not sure it really makes a difference though I don't think my body shop had any issues, but I did get both. That may also be specific to M cars as looking on my standard 530 bellypan all the screws are the shorter ones.
  • Clamps part # 51 71 8 176 503 part #8 in diagram (they look kinda odd, but this is what those screws attach to)
  • Circlips (optional) part # 51-71-8-195-383 #11 in diagram will keep the screws attached to the belly pan and F.L. so you don't lose/ drop them. You put the screw through the hole and then attach the circlip to the other side (it is a little hard and you need to really force the circlips onto the screws). However then the screws are hanging from the belly pan so when you raise it up you don't have to fiddle with holding the screw in place as well
  • Plastic washer (probably not necessary) part #51-71-8-176-504 #12 in diagram I'm not sure if they go between the screw and fender liner or between circlip and fender liner. I got them, but ended up not using them.

My standard 530 belly pan has 9 screws I'm not sure if you will need more or less.

Tips
You may have already have a favorite discount source for OEM parts, but if not I personally have always had really good experiences ordering OEM parts from Tischer BMW aka getbmwparts.com. Their prices are great and they are extremely helpful. You can also use http://furiousmethod.com/ and compare prices.

You may want to order the hardware from wherever you order your belly pan. If you are planning on picking up the hardware at your local dealer, just be aware some dealers have a crazy markups on random parts. I think someone was saying their dealer was charging them $4-$5 for those clamps when then list for $1.45 each and you can get the from Tischer aka getbmw parts for $1.16. SOme dealers have very reasonable prices and also give a 10% BMWCCA discount if you are a member, which can be nice for some small items where paying $6 for shipping to save $0.40 on $2 part would not make sense.

I think someone else also went to the hardware store and found something similar for pretty cheap rather than getting BMW parts.

Pics for reference
Here are the screws (two diff lengths), circlip, plastic washer, clamp

Here is a sot of what I was talking about regarding the screw staying attached to the bellypan

Other Parts
See this diagram for reference as the RealOEM one is missing some arrows

Front fender liners, these are part #14 in the diagram referred to as lower engine compartment cover in the diagrams

Pork chops, these are part #7 in the diagram referred to as lateral engine compartment screening in the diagrams. I think when you were saying pork chops you meant to say fender liners, but perhaps I am misunderstanding you.

Are you missing the fender liners and pork chops as well? The pork chop sits up above and in front of the fender liner. A lot of times the fender liners get damaged and get torn off or taken off. I think it would be less likely the pork chops are missing on your car.

Here are some real pics for illustration
These are standard 530 parts that I removed from the car to replace with M bumper specific parts (M specific parts look different). I labeled the parts in this pic. Your fender liners and pork chops may look a little different because these have a little cut out that vents air back to the brakes (that square hole in the fender liner) some have them some don't.

The fender liner and bellypan kind of interconnect. I believe it is in the area I indicated with the arrow.

The Rear Undertray part #19 in diagram and the side undertrays #17 in diagram I believe are not as common. I am not sure if BMW just did not usually attach them to US cars as I believe most people do not have them on their cars. You can certainly order and attach them though if you like.

I think part #21 might be another cover for a different part of the rear of the car, but I am not sure. Once again I am not sure if BMW just did not usually attach them to US cars as I believe most people do not have them on their cars.

Aggregate Plates
No I don't think you need these. I think they are kind of more like heavy duty skid plates. I am sure somebody has installed these, but I think they are pretty rare. I am wondering if they install in place of the standard belly pan or if you install them after you have installed the standard bellypan so you have a double layer. The standard bellypans were designed more to help with aerodynamic efficiency at highway speeds and perhaps with small scrapes, but they are not really heavy duty enough to deal with a lot big impacts like heavy duty skid plates. In any case unless you are doing a lot of rally driving or scrape the underside of your car a lot you should not need the aggregate plates. Anyone else have any ideas or real pics of these plates?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hardware.JPG
Views:	2661
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	331445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screw__bellypan_.JPG
Views:	2549
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	331446   Click image for larger version

Name:	MTgwNTA3X3A.png
Views:	4675