Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Another Tech Quirk I Bet Many Haven't Considered

Here is yet another issue with the new high tech design I just ran across on another forum. This one ranks up there with the stupid key fob that you can drive off without.

Push Button Start/Stop- Ok, say you have engine problems and your car dies in the road. How are you gonna push it out of the road and eventually, how are you gonna get it out of gear to pull it up on a rollback tow truck? Yep, thought so, a lot of head scratching going on.

FYI- there are two possible solutions. Some BMW had a transmission key to release it into neutral. Some other models had a joy stick procedure that would release the transmission for 15 minutes. An initial look on page 263 of the manual which covers towing makes no mention of this. A search of the PDF manual yields nothing either.

So, how do we disengage our automatic transmissions?
Ads by Google
Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Oh I had that scenario on my 2007 335i where the battery died dead-dead due to comfort access causing the door lights to stay on or some sort of trippy bug. And the result was the tow-truck driver winched it out of my garage because he couldn't get to it to jump-start it. He dragged it and caused treadmarks on the garage floor. Yep. True story.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
from the late great lotus7 on the other forum...

Quote:
TCC: There is an electronically operated clutch in the transfer case that controls the amount of torque that goes to the front wheels. It can be set to "couple" power to the front drive-shaft at anything between 0% and 100% of available torque while the vehicle is running. If the rear wheels begin to slip, the transfer case clutch torque setting is increased and more torque is sent to the front wheels (reducing the torque at the rear and stopping the rear slippage). If the transfer case clutch is engaged, the front wheels cannot "freewheel". No battery = no electronics = no TCC = front wheels free to roll.

Park Mode: Although the transmission selector "Park" mode "brakes" the rear wheels, it is not actually a brake. Pressing the "Park" button on the gearshift lever OR shutting off all vehicle power engages a mechanical park "pawl". The "pawl" is a metal pin that drops into a gearwheel connected to the transmission output shaft (which is always connected to the rear driveshaft) that prevents it from turning. The park "pawl" will engage automatically when no power is applied. Ignition COMPLETELY off (second button press) OR dead battery= transmission locked = rear wheels locked. It's just like a older car with a mechanical park position on the gearshift, it will stay in park. When parked on a hill, the E-Brake should be used to hold the vehicle (and the front wheels turned to the curb), not just the transmission "Park' mode which will stress the transmission if used alone.

E-Brake: The Electronic "Emergency Brake", operated by the "pull/push" switch on the console behind the gearshift lever (often called the "Parking Brake") actually is a real braking system. When the E-Brake switch is actuated, a powerful electric motor operates mechanically to pull two metal cables that are coupled to the rear wheel brake calipers. The brake pads are engaged mechanically through the calipers. You can feel the brake pedal drop as the cables reduce hydraulic pressure in the rear calipers by mechanically pressing the pads. The motor is used to engage the E-Brake cables and is used again to dis-engage them. If the Brake Hold is on (green light), the E-Brake (red light) will automatically engage when the car ignition is shut off. The rear-only E-brake will remain in whichever state it was in when the power was removed. A dead battery will not apply the E-Brake if it was previously off, but without battery power, the E-Brake will not operate either. E-Brake only can lock the rear wheels.

Because of the transfer case clutch, the center differential will not explode if the vehicle is moved a short distance (enough to get it onto a flat bed truck) with the rear wheels elevated at low speed. It's effectively disconnecting the front drive-shaft, but not the rear drive-shaft. Even if the vehicle is in "Park" the front wheels are free to rotate (but NOT the rears). However, if the rear wheels rotate when in "park" (transmission park mode - not E-Brake "Park") the transmission will be likely be damaged.

In Neutral the park pawl is disengaged and the vehicle can roll with no damage, but ONLY if the ignition is on, ONLY if the E-Brake is off, and ONLY if there is battery power.

Sorry it's so complicated, but BMW designed it, not me.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
The GA8HP transmission on the X3 can be put into Neutral using BMW's ISTA software tool, but that's a dealer tool. It's also possible to manually release it from below. Personally, I'm unlikely to have the right tools, wheel chocks, jackpoint tools, jack stands, and a bottle jack available if I need to do it anywhere but home.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Also being discussed in detail in the F10 forums: http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630236

My thought is that since this could be considered a safety hazard (leaving disabled car in the middle of the road seems unsafe to me anyway), it should be reported to the NHTSA. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

On Order: 2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007

BMWCCA #350568
Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
And score another for manual transmissions.

I push in the clutch and move the gear indicator.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 07-03-2012, 05:57 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Too bad we can't get a manual X3! But even then the e-brake is electrically operated these days!

On Order: 2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007

BMWCCA #350568