Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 760li
2003 760li transmission safe mode

I have a 2003 760li which the transmission safe mode is on,i have changed the filter and the safe mode is still on,and moreover the gear its stuck on 4 while driven,when i restart the car it goes away but comes right back,pls does anybody knows what might be the problem.
Ads by Google
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
it might be an electrical issue with a sensor on the electromechanics unit, paging Keif!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 760li
Thank u so much I will try it tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Bimmer App
Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: e66 & e38 and e39
I had the same problem. I found that I needed to do the following:

1. Empty fluid and change filter.
2. While pan was down take off the Motronic.
a. Clean out the unit and flush out the old fluid.
b. There is a slide that engages the unit that slides to make a connection when shifted electronically. I had to clean this out.

There was very fine metal particles in the fluid that collected in this slide mechanism. The metal stopped the unit from knowing it was put into gear. I cleaned off what looked like GRAPHITE grey from the unit and washed it off with fluid. Had to work at it a bit. But once it was clean, and I reassembled the unit. It never has had the problem again.

This was a bit of a hassle as I did it without a lift. It took about 10 hours to do it actual working time. I could do it in 3 to 5 with a lift and my current experience.

Check under the Google search there was a good post on it from someone with a 745 or 750.

Good Luck.

760LI main
740il and 540I sport are backup toys!