Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Gokomachi15

Mein Auto: 528i Sport Wagon
Whine, whine, whine

Lately, my beloved 2000 528i wagon has started to whine when I turn the steering wheel. Seems, too , that the wheel has become stiffer to turn. Help. No opinion or suggestion is ridiculous
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 AM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
Seems like something with the power steering system. Have you checked the fluid level lately? It takes standard, off-the-shelf Dexron ATF that you can buy at any auto parts store, and probably even most grocery stores.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
I have a leak somewhere on mine, I can always tell when it needs more fluid because it will "whine" as you said. I just keep filling up the power fluid every few days and it stops whining. Im gonna have to pay somebody to find the leak and replace whatever is leaking eventually.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
9 times out of ten, the leak is at the hose connection to the reservoir.

Look directly below the power steering reservoir. A small hose attaches directly to the bottom of the reservoir. You may need to remove the bottom pan or the air filter to improve access. The fix is SIMPLE. Get a small hose clamp, remove the hose from the bottom of the reservoir, cut 1/2" off the end of the hose, reattach it to the reservoir, and secure with the clamp. Or pull out your credit card and pay a mechanic $100 to do it for you.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
9 times out of ten, the leak is at the hose connection to the reservoir.

Look directly below the power steering reservoir. A small hose attaches directly to the bottom of the reservoir. You may need to remove the bottom pan or the air filter to improve access. The fix is SIMPLE. Get a small hose clamp, remove the hose from the bottom of the reservoir, cut 1/2" off the end of the hose, reattach it to the reservoir, and secure with the clamp. Or pull out your credit card and pay a mechanic $100 to do it for you.
Sounds good to me, thanks!

One thing I do like about these cars is how easy they are to work on. I can change my own oil, change my own light bulbs, changed all the filters by myself. Its funny because its so easy to work on yet places like Wal-mart refuse to even change the oil.
I have an oil service reset tool but its not working for some reason. And my dad lets me work on it at his garage, when he didn't see a battery under the hood he was scratching his head for an hour.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
[QUOTE=Y2K528i;7178321]Sounds good to me, thanks!

One thing I do like about these cars is how easy they are to work on. I can change my own oil, change my own light bulbs, changed all the filters by myself. Its funny because its so easy to work on yet places like Wal-mart refuse to even change the oil.
I have an oil service reset tool but its not working for some reason. And my dad lets me work on it at his garage, when he didn't see a battery under the hood he was scratching his head for an hour.[/QUOTE

You are in great shape if all you have to worry about is a power steering leak.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K528i View Post
Sounds good to me, thanks!

I have an oil service reset tool but its not working for some reason. And my dad lets me work on it at his garage, when he didn't see a battery under the hood he was scratching his head for an hour.
Those are relatively easy maintenance items. Wait until you have to do a cooling system overhaul, vanos seals or oil filter housing gasket.