Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
2010 X5 failed inspection for the third time

We bought a certified used X5 diesel a few months ago. Because it was bought in a neighboring state, we didn't get it inspected there. Figured we would wait the approx 75 mis they told us we needed to wait and go to our local auto shop for a quick and easy sticker. First time we brought it in, we were told it failed 5 "readies," and we needed to bring it back after a longer period of time. I brought it back to the same non-BWM trusted repair shop and it was down to 2 non-readies. I just brought it back after approx 300 mis (this time finally to a BMW d'ship) and still no pass. I am being now told by our d'ship that it needs to be run for approx 7-8 hours of driving time before it will register as ready and there's no way around this (other than some funky things like driving for 10 mins at only 25 mph with no idling). The state we bought the car in says that's not true.

Can someone help me or know anything about this?
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
Are you sure your state requires emissions testing of diesels? Many do not. I'd expect the BMW dealer to be knowledgable about that, but you never know....

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free
Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM

I'm sure the dealership in my state knows what is required. They are the recent ones to do the testing. It indicates the "SCR CAT and the EGR are not set. The customer has to drive the vehicle."
Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Has the recent diesel recalls been completed on the vehicle?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:13 PM

No one has brought up the issue of diesel recalls, so I, frankly, don't know about that.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
A quick search for recall yielded the following thread on this forum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=recall

and the following on the diesel forum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=618966
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=recall

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Try Driving it like you stole it

You're not the only one. My father had the emissions recall done back in May about 2 weeks before he had to do emissions testing in his area. Same problem, the OBD was not ready in 2 of the emissions monitor systems. Dealer told him to drive more, so he did. In fact, he took it on a trip to New York City and back, about 800km (500mls) round trip, and it still wasn't ready. My mother did get a one-month extension for the vehicle until I got home from school. Feeling their exasperation (it's been a sh*tty ownership experience for them), I took it into my own hands. I beat the snot out of it on some roads, redlined it multiple times, called for multi-gear downshifts repeatedly, and operated the vehicle in a manner and at speeds not deemed safe nor responsible in an area with less traffic. After all, it's a lease.

Then drove it to the dealership for the third try at emissions. It passed. The service advisor said "What ever you did, you hit the nail on the head. The systems were all ready and passed"
Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Op

Some tactical advice: you MUST get the BMW del to write up a work order that list the three inspection you have failed ... All BMW will 'honor' is what is in the record...so create it. MAKE them list the date, miles and 'failed inspection not ready'.... You have an emissions warranty- BMW is responsible for passing this inspection. You should not py for more than ONE.

Yes, do the researches motioned above, but wen you go back meh em document his into he computer as I've outlined. If the SA says 'oh, I'll make sure to tell them' politely decline and say "I need it in writing in the wrk order"

GL

A
Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 PM

I was told one of the things I could "possibly" do to speed this up was to take the vehicle out cold and drive it at 25 mph for 10 mins and not idle it (I even read this in print). Yeah, that's likely to happen. I'd either cause an accident or piss someone off royally as I'm driving 20 mph less that I'm supposed to be (on even a back road). Apparently, that COULD possibly take care of one of the issues/codes.

I do now have it documented at my local BMW (not where I bought it) for the remaining two unready codes that are left. He did not charge me for anything today, saying it was covered in the warranty.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortandsassy View Post
I was told one of the things I could "possibly" do to speed this up was to take the vehicle out cold and drive it at 25 mph for 10 mins and not idle it (I even read this in print). Yeah, that's likely to happen. I'd either cause an accident or piss someone off royally as I'm driving 20 mph less that I'm supposed to be (on even a back road). Apparently, that COULD possibly take care of one of the issues/codes.

I do now have it documented at my local BMW (not where I bought it) for the remaining two unready codes that are left. He did not charge me for anything today, saying it was covered in the warranty.
Yes, but he seems to say it is your fault (kind of)- ie 'customer needs to drive it'. My suggestion was not to document there are two codes, but rather to document that it has had hundreds of miles driven without the readiness setting.

The bigger question really is WHY the selling dealer messed with the DME and reset the OBD computer (and hence caused all readiness indicators to be 'not set')...emissions issues??? Do you know the history? Or just figured "Its a CPO, must be perfect- afterall a BMW dealer wouldnt sell a car with any issues'....

Sounds like you servicing dealer is trying to help- hence no charge- which is good. Lets hope they all set soon!
|
A
Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
The bigger question really is WHY the selling dealer messed with the DME and reset the OBD computer (and hence caused all readiness indicators to be 'not set')...emissions issues??? Do you know the history? Or just figured "Its a CPO, must be perfect- afterall a BMW dealer wouldnt sell a car with any issues'....
Well I think as part of the CPO process, dealers are to perform any outstanding service campaigns and recalls. The campaign done back in the spring for 2010 X5s was emissions related and would reset the DME, among other things, so the emissions control values would be wiped.

First of all, you shouldn't be idling the vehicle to warm up anyway. Just start it, wait a couple seconds, and drive off normally.

Secondly, the emissions control needs to run through various drive cycles. Driving sedately for 20, 50, or 100miles will not do the trick, I can guarantee you that.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 10-08-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM

I see your point about the documentation. However, I think it's at least clear in terms of miles of when we bought the car in July and today.

You brought up a point that I had actually called the "helping" d'ship today but wasn't around when he returned the call.

I don't quite understand why/how all this got started in the first place. What prompts this cycle of these codes? I mean you're not telling me that the original customer, if they had taken it into their d'ship 3 mos before selling it, would have had the same issue, right? Why do they reset the OBD computer at all? Is this something that normally happens when they sell a car? Or is this mere coincidence that it happened when the person attempted to get the next inspection (sticker)?

PS: I'm learning way more than I had planned on about this car ; )
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, you are also discovering a great community here!

If a car trips an emissions error, when it is reset and the error is claered, the car must go through a 'drive cycle'. This is done to prevent people from just driving the car with a CEL, then clearing it in the parking lot prior to getting an inspection. The car must have no CELs, AND have gone through enough driving such that if there WAS something wrong it WOULD have tripped a frest error.

One might surmise your car had a CEL and was reset.

HOWEVER, BMW has been having diesel emissions 'challenges'. And there have been a few recalls (mentioned above) that involve programming. Fresh programming can also reset the OBD computer.

I seem to recall other people reporting similar issues- crazy long times to get readiness counters set... here or on Xoutpost dot com

A
Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: e36, e92, e70, e90
Back in the day working on OBD II all monitoring test needed to be complete during the FTP drive cycle. Here's some links to the drive cycles. Drive it a couple of times as close as you can and all the monitor should test. Should be less than an hour. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/sftp.htm.
http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/cycles/ftp75.php
Good luck.