Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi
Anyone Know How To Reset The Damn "Check Engine" Light?

...All they keep telling me is "You have to be sure the gas cap is screwed on tight."

No kidding. I do and the damn thing keeps tripping. This is now the third time and I'm really tired of bring it in just for them to reset it, tell me everything is fine and then give me the 'gas cap' lecture.

Is there a way to reset this stupid light myself?
Ads by Google
Old 07-03-2012, 06:39 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
It goes away by itself. Just ignore it.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 07-03-2012, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 13 F10/06-330i/11-F350
If it's the third time it has occurred, it might be something else...especially if you are absolutely sure you have screwed the cap in correctly. It might be the sensor is reading something incorrectly, or there is another type of problem.

When you fill your tank, do you top off, or do you just let it go until the pump clicks off the first time?

I would suggest you get a code reader to be sure that the codes you see when the check engine light comes on is really a gas cap issue, or if it's something else. I would hate for you to ignore a service engine light when there was a real problem.
Retired
2004 Lexus GS 430, 2001 GMC Yukon, 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 1997 Ford Thunderbird V-8
Old 07-03-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Pick up a Bavarian Technic OBDII scanner.

To me this is a requirement for any DIY Bmw fanatic because it allows you to see everything that is going on with the car AND gives you the option to reset lights if you wish. This is also very helpful in diagnosing issues with the car before you bring it to the idiot mechanics at some dealerships.

Alan
Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
It goes away by itself. Just ignore it.
It does???

I thought once it was tripped it had to be reset by BMW service.

Are you sure of this?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 AM

If its truly just the gas cap causing the light then yes it will go away on its own after a few days of driving. Since you are sure your cap is always tight then there maybe an issue somewhere else that you should look into since the dealer obviously isn't helping.

Alan
Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
2011 bmw 528i: Check engine light already

last week kelly had you guessing as to why we were sitting at long beach bmw in the long-term flex. Well, we were there for a check engine light on our new addition, the 2011 bmw 528i.

Our obd code reader would not read the proprietary bmw code, though it did allow us to clear it. So we did. And later that day it returned. We made a 9am appointment and arrived early. "the check engine light is on," we explained to our advisor. She took some notes and left us with a, "we'll take a look and call you in a couple of hours with an update. Want a rental car?." we declined the rental because it was more hassle than benefit, and were on our way.

At 3pm that afternoon we called and left a voicemail. An hour later our advisor called, "the tech hasn't looked at your car yet. Something came up and he was too busy to look at it. I will call you tomorrow with an update. Want a rental car?" again, we declined the rental. And again, there was not a peep from our advisor until we called back at 1pm the next day.

"the tech looked at your car," she began, "there is a minute leak in the emission system. But this is a new car. If we can locate the problem it will take time to order parts... Blah, blah." two hours later, another call, "we found it. There is a leak from the fuel filler neck. We would order the parts but they are on backorder. So we actually can't order them until the backorder is lifted. But when it is, we'll order the part. Your car is ready for pick up"

how would you feel if this was your new car experience?

Mike schmidt, vehicle testing manager @ 1,103 miles

categories: 2011 bmw 528i.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Hang in there and demand a fix. Start with asking for a new cap. I have never had this happen on any of my BMWs but I had it on several other cars due to failing or poorly calibrated O2 sensors or leaks on older cars. There is no way I would accept it on a BMW under warranty.

Last edited by solstice; 07-03-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
It's probably the same thing a bunch of us have had go bad - the evap valve or whatever it's called.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
Pick up a Bavarian Technic OBDII scanner.

To me this is a requirement for any DIY Bmw fanatic because it allows you to see everything that is going on with the car AND gives you the option to reset lights if you wish. This is also very helpful in diagnosing issues with the car before you bring it to the idiot mechanics at some dealerships.

Alan
Doesn't look that this product works for the F10, anyone know of a product that does?
1997 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by passer68 View Post
Doesn't look that this product works for the F10, anyone know of a product that does?
Looks like there is a beta version that is out for the F10
1997 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Old 07-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Yes the Beta version is out for the F10. Once my car arrives i will try to scan it to see if everything works.

I've use this many times on my E90 and you can pretty much access all areas of the car and even reset stuff like faults, throttle, ecu adaptations etc...

Alan

Last edited by Alan L.; 07-05-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
that is the emmissions warning lamp

While this can be caused by a improperly closed gas cap I wouldn't think it would keep coming back on unless you continue to close it incorrectly which I would highly doubt. While taking it back for service is a pain, I would definitely want them to get to the bottom of the problem. Obviously something is wrong and merely resetting it is doing nothing to rectify the situation. Tell them to giv eyou a loaner and keep it until they get it figured out.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
FYI... To read and reset the OBDII codes, including "Gas Cap", I find that this ~$20 reader works just fine.
http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan.../dp/B001LHVOVK

Last edited by Erregend; 07-07-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
While this can be caused by a improperly closed gas cap I wouldn't think it would keep coming back on unless you continue to close it incorrectly which I would highly doubt. While taking it back for service is a pain, I would definitely want them to get to the bottom of the problem. Obviously something is wrong and merely resetting it is doing nothing to rectify the situation. Tell them to giv eyou a loaner and keep it until they get it figured out.
Bingo... Brought it in Fri and two hours later they told me they had to do a "smoke test" to determine what was causing this light to be tripped as this was the third time it had been brought in for the same problem. I have no idea why they didn't do this in the two hours they had the car but I couldn't wait anymore. So I have an appointment in about two weeks when I get back from vacation. They're going to give me a loaner and they can have the car as long as they want or need it. I'm due for an inspection and I'm coming up on 15k miles so I guess I'll get my first oil change too.

Btw for whoever said the check engine light would go out on it's own eventually, it doesn't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Old 07-07-2012, 01:45 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
If it's the third time it has occurred, it might be something else...especially if you are absolutely sure you have screwed the cap in correctly. It might be the sensor is reading something incorrectly, or there is another type of problem.
+1. The light isn't just showing up for nothing. They aren't reading the codes.

OK, I just read your reply above that they found the issue. Remember, this was the same dealer that wanted to charge you $299 to check the A/C. Find another dealer?

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 07-07-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:35 PM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc1 View Post
Btw for whoever said the check engine light would go out on it's own eventually, it doesn't.
The one that is caused ONLY by loose/missing Gas Cap does go away on many cars including my spouse's 2004 SLK230 and my previous 2008 E93 after a day or so with the cap properly tightened.
I got the above code reader to determine why the CEL on the SLK was on for several days. Turns out it was the O2 sensor. I replaced it and cleared the light.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
The issue appears to be senor related.

I have a 2012 528i (love this car) that I bought last November. In the past couple of months I noticed a "Check Gas Cap" message on a few occasions when starting the car in the morning. Two weeks ago the "Engine Check Light" came on and stayed on. I took my car to the local BMW dealer, and after two days of checking they determined an issue with the emissions system. They had to order the part from the east coast, so it was another couple of days without my car, but I was given a loaner (a 328, made me appreciate my 528 all the more).

It did take them some effort to figure out the issue, and they had to call BMW for guidance.

Here's what was on the final invoice for the repair - "Customer reports Check Engine warning comes on. Install SOP Caused by DME fault for EVAP System leak. Replaced NVLD pressure sensor as requested by PUMA engineer. Note that check engine light is currently off. Performed vehicle test and printed fault details for vehicle. Test drove vehicle and parked overnight to check function of NVLD system found no further leak detected. Also programmed vehicle to latest I-Level as part of corrective measure requested by PUMA Engineer. Programmed vehicle with ISTA/P 2.46 including CAS"

I don't know what the acronyms mean. Everything seems to be fine now.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528I
Check Engine Light 2012 528I

Hello, ya’ll….. Wanted to share the same BS I’m getting with my dealership and the darn check engine light issue. 1st repair was a “software update” and reset. 2nd repair was a bunch of parts in the fuel system changed. Guess what, the light was back on after driving for 45 minutes. Have yet another appointment this coming Monday. I guess the 3rd time is a charm. Curious to know if anyone has been able to get this fixed?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Emissions . Check engine light ON - LIMBO

funny seeing this post just now...

my 550i CEL light came on couple weeks ago, went away, came back on..

went to the dealer, they found 3 stored faults for bank 2, before catalytic converter- performed O2 sensor test- sensor failed- removed and replaced- let car sit overnight- did test drive- car re-delivered to me

light came back on before i arrived at my office - about 8 miles

back at dealer next day- replaced fuel line- this did not correct issue

this has now been escalated to the "dedicated diagnostics team" described to me as the SWAT team of crack BMW technicians who get the issues repairs that defy the normal approach.

hope these dudes diagnose and fix this quickly

anyone run into this issue?
2011 550i : Alpine White l Black Dakota l Anthracite wood:M Sport pkg l Sport Trans l Active steering l Conven pkg l Driver asst pkg l Prem pkg 2 l 4 zone AC l Side/Top view cameras l HUD w/6wa ext blk pnl l BMW Media adptr /apps l M Decklid Spoiler l Clear Bra l V1 Radar; Ordered 4/9/11, Delivered 5/21/11

Retired BMW's;
-2008 550i MSport: deep Sea Blue/ Black, Loaded
-2005 545i : Silver Gray/ Auburn, Loaded
-1993 3215iA : Jet Black/ Black, Loaded[/FONT]