Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-26-2014, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
2006 325i overheating issue

Hi, I'm new to this. I have a 2006 BMW 325i with approx. 125k mi on it, I replaced the water pump and thermostat March 2013 (not at BMW dealer), costing me 1800$ , because of the engine overheating. About two months ago I started to get the yellow thermostat warning symbol, but only occasionally and it would immediately go away, today however, the warning symbol turned red and started making a "rattling" sound, while on my way to work (about 20 mi from home). Any ideas on what the issue(s) could be??? It cannot possibly be the water pump and thermostat again, can it?
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2014, 05:51 AM

oh, and it's bringing up po599 code
Old 08-26-2014, 08:08 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
Check the radiator for debris. Might try washing out with a light spray of water. With your miles, it might be due for a rebuild. I believe this site has a list of codes too.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328 Saloon
BMW thermostat' get "stuck" in the open position so they actually run too cool and not overheat so that would eliminate that. Hmm, new waterpump too....?

Is the coolent level full and maybe there is still some air trapped in the system. Can you take it back to the Indy and have it diagonosed and tell them it started to overheat again after just 3 months of their work?

Keep us posted!

ED - 5.14.10
ED Drop off - 5.22.10
Car arrived in Brunswick, GA - 6.21.10
Released from Customs - 6.25.10
PCD Redelivery - 7.12.10

Picking up the car at the Welt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Ulzi58u6I
My 140MPH A92 run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRej5VEQpmc

ED May 14, 2010
Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanos4:12PM View Post
BMW thermostat' get "stuck" in the open position so they actually run too cool and not overheat so that would eliminate that. Hmm, new waterpump too....?

Is the coolent level full and maybe there is still some air trapped in the system. Can you take it back to the Indy and have it diagonosed and tell them it started to overheat again after just 3 months of their work?

Keep us posted!
I've seen E9x tstats fail in the closed position causing an overheat condition.

They are desinged to fail open, yes. But they don't always.

$1800 is more than most dealerships charge to do a water pump and tstat.

Was a head or valve cover gasket done too?

At an indy BMW shop, the job should be around $1100.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-26-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
I've seen E9x tstats fail in the closed position causing an overheat condition.

They are desinged to fail open, yes. But they don't always.

$1800 is more than most dealerships charge to do a water pump and tstat.

Was a head or valve cover gasket done too?

At an indy BMW shop, the job should be around $1100.
Hi and thank you so much for replying, no, a head gasket was not needed, when I took it to them for the same exact problem, they diagnosed it as only needing a new water pump and tstat. it was not an indy BMW shop, that's where I should've went, I took it to a place, like Pep Boys, etc.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanos4:12PM View Post

Keep us posted!
Thank you, I was actually going to take it to the BMW dealer, but you're suggesting I just take it back to the guys who did the job? All signs are pointing to water pump & tsat, but those are only about 1 year old, they were replaced March of 2013
Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 AM

the code po599 is coming as:
- Failed Engine Cooling Thermostat
- Engine Cooling Thermostat harness is open or shorted
- Engine Cooling Thermostat circuit poor electrical connection

and now that I think about it, I had my heat on this morning and it was blowing out cold air.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:31 AM

Ask them what they did to bleed the system.

I bet they just started the car and opened the bleed screw.

You need to cycle the pump via the special procedure. If you youtube it, you should be able to find a video of the procedure.

Don't mention anything other than asking how they bled it. If they don't mention cycling the pump. They did not bleed it correctly. They are to be held responsible and you should NOT pay a single penny. You have unfortunately already overpaid.

In the future, find a reputable BMW indy to do your work. www.bimmershops.com

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 08-26-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Ask them what they did to bleed the system.

I bet they just started the car and opened the bleed screw.

You need to cycle the pump via the special procedure. If you youtube it, you should be able to find a video of the procedure.

Don't mention anything other than asking how they bled it. If they don't mention cycling the pump. They did not bleed it correctly. They are to be held responsible and you should NOT pay a single penny. You have unfortunately already overpaid.

In the future, find a reputable BMW indy to do your work. www.bimmershops.com
I agree and thank you so much!!! Will do
Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 PM

what problems does bleeding it improperly cause, I'm asking so that I can know what to say to them. I'm a female and I know they'll try to take advantage of me when I go and accuse them of wrong doing, they'll say there's a new issue, but I want to know if the new issue is due to them bleeding incorrectly.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:09 PM

An air pocket could be stuck somewhere not allowing the coolant to cool the engine properly, cuasing the engine to overheat and/or coolant to boil.

The air pocket could very well be stuck in your tstat, which would explain the tstat reading high

Last edited by fdriller9; 08-26-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by qunique View Post
what problems does bleeding it improperly cause, I'm asking so that I can know what to say to them. I'm a female and I know they'll try to take advantage of me when I go and accuse them of wrong doing, they'll say there's a new issue, but I want to know if the new issue is due to them bleeding incorrectly.
Sounds like they already took advantage of you with a higher than normal cost of thermostat and pump replacement. Maybe best idea to take it to a different well-known shop for a diagnosis and let the Mar-2013 guys repair any damage associated with improper installation procedures.