Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: former 740iL -now DTS
MY FIRST SIGHTING OF A GT !!! have questions

I saw my first GT in person today - in traffic - seemed to 'sit' quite 'high' ....is this the 'norm' for the car? i'm certain it had at least 19'' or even 20'' tires - would the larger tires explain the 'tall' appearance? Also it appeared to be a very large, long, slooping-back vehicle (i know it's a hatch-back lol) - no doubting it being a BMW - the insignia was on the back (couldn't get lose to the front of the car) thanks !

Last edited by EDYTHE; 07-04-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
The wheel size does not affect the overall height as long as they are sized properly. Yes, this car does sit higher than the sedan. In fact, it is actually built on the 7-series chassis, so it IS larger than the 5-series sedan - it's as large as the 7-series 'normal' wheel base sedan.

It sits about 3" higher than the sedan, but lower than the X-5. I find it a comfortable height.

It's a hatchback and the seats fold, so there's the ability to carry a fair amount. I just got back from a trip where we had 4 decent sized hard cases and a few small bags in the back along with 4 good-sized adults. I'm 6'2", and fit in the rear with headroom and legroom.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
The wheel size does not affect the overall height as long as they are sized properly. Yes, this car does sit higher than the sedan. In fact, it is actually built on the 7-series chassis, so it IS larger than the 5-series sedan - it's as large as the 7-series 'normal' wheel base sedan.

It sits about 3" higher than the sedan, but lower than the X-5. I find it a comfortable height.

It's a hatchback and the seats fold, so there's the ability to carry a fair amount. I just got back from a trip where we had 4 decent sized hard cases and a few small bags in the back along with 4 good-sized adults. I'm 6'2", and fit in the rear with headroom and legroom.
--------------------------------------
Here's my confusion - are you saying while it's built on the 7-'sedan-chassis, it actually sits 'higher' than a 7-sedan? this was 'high' in my opinion ...not as high a crossover (x-5) but noticeably higher than the other surrounding sedans in traffic today ...it's certainly 'different-looking'' ...and i bet the ride is wonderful ....
Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
I think it's about 4" shorter than the X5 but sits higher than the 7, right at "butt" level!
Get one while you can, it has been discontinued...
Old 07-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
I think it's about 4" shorter than the X5 but sits higher than the 7, right at "butt" level!
Get one while you can, it has been discontinued...
---------------------------
I haven't heard the GT is being discontinued by BMW ...do you know about any articles one can find about this ? thanks in advance !
Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDYTHE View Post
---------------------------
I haven't heard the GT is being discontinued by BMW ...do you know about any articles one can find about this ? thanks in advance !
Hi, no articles yet but I heard it from the service manager yesterday. Worry not, parts and service will not be an issue in fact you may get a great deal on a 2013 model, good luck.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Hi, no articles yet but I heard it from the service manager yesterday. Worry not, parts and service will not be an issue in fact you may get a great deal on a 2013 model, good luck.
------------------------------------
Then you heard from a reliable source....i'm sure there will always be parts/service for the GT... don't know what a 'good deal' would entail - there are so many variables it almost gets confusing ... thanks for your reply ...it's a show-stopper ...
Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012bmw550igt
Would like to know that BMW is discontinuing the GT ...is it in writing anywhere, word of mouth is just word of mouth No offense ment I just don't want this to be the case...love my 550 gt best car yet
Old 07-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT xDrive
The fact that they didn't bring the 5er wagon over to the US and replaced it with the GT suggests that BMW has no plans to cancel the GT. There is even a 3GT set to debut soon. It's my understanding that the 5GT has outsold the previous 5 wagon in the US. The GT was also designed for the European and Asian markets where hatchbacks are appreciated.

I've owned 2 M3 convertibles (E46,E93) and 3 other BMWs over the last 13 years and the GT is by far my favorite BMW. My experience with BMW SAs is that they don't know very much about what BMW will do, they just speculate. My last dealership was owned by BMW NA and the service advisors knew even less than me about my car.

Living in NYC I am spotting the GT regularly. I've had people come up and ask me about the car. And anyone who rides in my car walks away impressed. The funny thing is I'm so outside the demographic for the GT, mid 30s, single, renter, no kids, that I believe it's only a matter of time till other non SUV buyers realize the benefits and value presented by the 5GT.

So will BMW cancel the 5GT? I don't believe they will. They have to get at least 5-6 years out of the vehicle and they just intro'd an M Sport package for '12 and a power bump for the 550 for '13 (which the 550 sedan won't be getting). Will BMW pull the 5GT from the US in the future? Quite possibly but not for a few more years at least.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Thoughts on the GT

I have to agree with bdman for all the reasons that he stated. To that I would add that various articles can be found about a 3 series GT that looks a lot like a shrunken version of the 5GT. I have even found infiormation about a planned 1 series GT. All that to say that the 'four door coupe' style appears to becoming a favoured one with BMW (with the
5GT leading the way) especially if you add in the fact that the new X4 ( another 4-door coupe) which was recently announced for eventual production in Spartanburg, North Carolina.

To Edythe I would recommend the clever concept video that provides the design intent for the GTand, among other design aspects, its explains the 'higher driver height' that you noticed. The video can be viewed in various formats here, (you will have to cut and paste the address into your browser):

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/newvehicles/...cts/downloads/ concept.html

The GT is called a 5-series vehicle but it is built on the shorter wheelbase 7-series maening it has a 120 inch wheelbase (and yes, it has a wonderful ride as you surmised). There are all kinds of reviews (written and video) available on the Internet if you google 'BMW 535 GT'. Some of them contain opinions that may not be complimentary but you should focus on the facts that you can learn about the vehicle itself. Add that to what you already know and the positive views expressed by GT owners in this forum and you should have an excellent data base as a basis for purchase decision, should you choose to make it.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
The GT fits me well. It performs well, too. Fast enough, but not all that thirsty. On a recent trip, the last 400-mile leg, I averaged over 29mpg and this is the x-drive. EPA rating for my year was 27mpg, and to get 29, averaging over 70mph, is a pleasant result. From the beginning to end of that ~2K trip, it was over 26mpg which included about 250 miles of stop and go at my destinations. Obviously, mpg isn't the main issue, but it is a factor. After several approximately 500-mile days in a row, I was not buzzed, stiff, or tired when I stopped for the night. And, it gobbled up luggage for 4 - it was tight, but adequate. Soft bags would have had an easier fit, but it handled 4 hard cases and some smaller, soft ones.