Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
2011 7 Series Headlight Washers UGGH

Just got my new 750li with m-sport....beautiful car....one issue, the headlamp washers overspray loads of washer fluid over both the left and right sides of my hood....it's actually pretty ridiculous how much washer fluid is sprayed by these.....any one know if there is a way to adjust these or shut them down completely? Thanks in advance.
Mike
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2010, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 750IL 2009
I have the same issue. I took it into the dealer and they told me it was driver error. Nothing could be done.

Marty S
2011 750IL
Old 10-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
it's normal, the ones in the E65/66 did the same. We didn't have an adjustment, but maybe you guys might!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Same thing happened to me last night; washer fluid all over my hood! Wasn't sure if harmful to the paint, so took a napkin and tried to soak up as much as possible, without applying pressure and accidentally scratching the hood. Very annoying. Any resolution on this yet - adjustment-wise? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:33 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
I assume the 7's headlight washers have no separate control and are activated when the headlights are on and you activate the windshield washers. BMW needs to provide a separate button for the headlight washers. I briefly turn off my headlights just for the second or so it takes to activate the windshield washers to avoid the unnecessary headlight cleaning. Actually, I avoided getting the washers on my F10 535i, mainly due to the nuisance.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 750XLi-Sport & X5
Quote:
I assume the 7's headlight washers have no separate control and are activated when the headlights are on and you activate the windshield washers. BMW needs to provide a separate button for the headlight washers. I briefly turn off my headlights just for the second or so it takes to activate the windshield washers to avoid the unnecessary headlight cleaning. Actually, I avoided getting the washers on my F10 535i, mainly due to the nuisance.
Agree there really should be a separate control for the headlamp washers. I mean, how often do you really need them? A few times in the winter if you live in a snowy climate.
For years now, I've also been in the habit of briefly turning of the headlights to use the windsheild washer and avoid activating the headlamp washer.
I wonder if there is a seperate fuse that can be pulled?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 AM
David

Mein Auto: 2015 M235i & 2013 M3 CP
Not sure about a fuse, but you could just disconnect the power to them. This would of course require removal of the bumper.

2015 M235i - Alpine White on Black
2013 M3 CP - LeMans Blue on Black

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 06-19-2011, 07:23 AM
SWB3

Mein Auto: 2014 i8 and some others
Quote:
Originally Posted by martysl View Post
they told me it was driver error.

Marty S
2011 750IL
Are you kidding me! You should have punched him right square in the mouth for saying something so stupid.

Anyway, I agree BMW could offer a better solution.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: F02 750Li
I pulled the fuse out from my car. That permanently fixed the problem. It didn't throw any errors at all. Forgot which fuse it was, you can look it up from TIS.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 740iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Same thing happened to me last night; washer fluid all over my hood! Wasn't sure if harmful to the paint, so took a napkin and tried to soak up as much as possible, without applying pressure and accidentally scratching the hood. Very annoying. Any resolution on this yet - adjustment-wise? Thanks.
The angle on the washer is assming that its being applied at speed so its angled high to compensate for wind pushing down the applicaiton. At a stop, if you clean your windows and you are at the cycle that will do the lights too (its every 5 applications or something like that) the spray will reach half way up your hood.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 750 Li
Looks like this thread has been dead for a while, but given the terrible winter, I figured I'd see if anyone figured out how to turn off the headlamp washers. I think my headlamp washers kicked on 3 times on the way home this evening. Since they use so much fluid, I got the low fluid warning for the second time this month. Wish there was a way to disconnect them or simply select windshield only. I tried turning off my headlights, but mine kick on after a few pulls even with the headlights off. Melting snow + salt + sand = nasty... hate winter.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSNSIM View Post
Looks like this thread has been dead for a while, but given the terrible winter, I figured I'd see if anyone figured out how to turn off the headlamp washers. I think my headlamp washers kicked on 3 times on the way home this evening. Since they use so much fluid, I got the low fluid warning for the second time this month. Wish there was a way to disconnect them or simply select windshield only. I tried turning off my headlights, but mine kick on after a few pulls even with the headlights off. Melting snow + salt + sand = nasty... hate winter.
I think most dislike winter concerning their BMW - I wish I had a winter Bimmer...headlight washers activate every third time - considering the slush and road grime I'd rather have the visibility. The washer fluid doesn't hurt paint so in this climate I cannot see an issue.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 740Li
Wow, I thought mine were misaligned as well! The trick is as another poster said, is turn your lights off before hitting the spray button. So if its night and my windshield is dusty, I just give it a quick spray before I turn on my lights to get driving.
The comment about them being designed to be sprayed at speed makes sense but the thinking behind that design doesnt. Most people probably dont spray their windshield fluid when driving at speed as to not spray other drivers.
Worst design ever.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: F01 750i
I didn't even know I had this feature until I was stopped at a light and went to clean my windows...washer fluid went everywhere. My wife was looking away and thought I was crazy because when I did it again, nothing happened. Now I know!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-09-2015, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: Everglades 243
I also didn't know I had this feature since I didn't order the cold weather package...

When I go to clean my windshield, my car randomly activates the headlight washers and covers my whole car with washer fluid, even during daytime hours. Maybe due to the auto headlight/high beam always on?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Don't these washer fluids simply evaporate when you are driving? Since there's no wipers, it has to spray under pressure; hence, the sprinkles everywhere.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:01 PM
CABimmerNation

Mein Auto: 2010 750i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdoha234 View Post
Wow, I thought mine were misaligned as well! The trick is as another poster said, is turn your lights off before hitting the spray button. So if its night and my windshield is dusty, I just give it a quick spray before I turn on my lights to get driving.
The comment about them being designed to be sprayed at speed makes sense but the thinking behind that design doesnt. Most people probably dont spray their windshield fluid when driving at speed as to not spray other drivers.
Worst design ever.
I always do mine at speed as to purposely spray other drivers. Having the headlights on or off or spraying during daylight hours has nothing to do if the headlight washers come on or not.
Dinan S3, PedalBox, 22" Agetro rims, H&R spt springs, RDsport front lip, coded, paddle shift retrofit, AlpineMSS HID 8000k. All exterior chrome, roof, roof spoiler and everything behind wheels painted black, wing, side and rear reflectors and door handle trim painted white, light smoke on tail lights. Audio: focal separates, earthquake low profile subs under front seats (crossed over as mid base to support the pathetic 4" fronts), arc audio amps, audiocontrol lcq-1 and epicenter, (2) L7 subs.