Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: Two 1987 325i, 430K, 211K
Questions about parting out car

This is tough. After long reflection I've decided to let my once near cherry go to the great dismantler in the sky. Getting the motor and tranny mounts back into harmony is daunting. Making the body pretty would not be cheap. I've thought at times to bang the body out best I can, use a comealong winch to tug on underside parts and have a cheapo hotrod. Or I could do that and sell it for $1200. But I dunno.

Could I ask y'all for suggestions on what to ask for the engine/tranny, together or separate? My tentative thought is $800 for both, would negotiate for separate. Perhaps a tad low, OTOH the miles are not real low. They can experience it running however which is probably unusual.

I've already advertised the crack free dash asking $400. Probably dreaming. I see that after market dash caps are now available, about $85 bucks. Can't be as good. I know there is some market for these as I see them missing on boneyard rigs now and then. Cheaper there but I doubt one finds pristine units very often.

Here's my not yet published Craigslist ad:

Quote:
My car was rear-ended hard. Body is totaled and the shift linkage got screwed up. The tranny itself does not appear to be damaged, runs smooth. It is still driveable for now, I have yet to surrender the plates in the settlement. It runs safely enough.

The engine runs very strong, you will be able to experience that, has 238,038 miles. Has had synthetic oil its entire life. I installed refurbished injectors at the 215K point. Valves adjusted at the same time. Had one owner up to 208k , an elderly couple, I kid you not. Well, they were 27 years less elderly when they bought the car. I got it in Oct. '14.

Removal and transport on you.

First pic in happier days, a couple of years ago, the one on the right. The other one still runs, has 440K.
(pics):

Advertisement
Old 04-18-2017, 09:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325iC
Sorry to here about your mishab.But looking at the pics looks to be repairable.
I 'll take your side marker sockets and lens that if you want to sell I'm missing a couple..
to me there a lot of things that you would be able to sell no prob and make good money...
Old 04-19-2017, 08:57 AM
Renaissance Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustneversleeps View Post
Sorry to here about your mishab.But looking at the pics looks to be repairable.
I 'll take your side marker sockets and lens that if you want to sell I'm missing a couple..
to me there a lot of things that you would be able to sell no prob and make good money...
It's a tough call. Probably is reparable.

OTOH, probably could part it out easily enough. In years past I would see these at the pick n pulls around here all the time. It was a great car for finding parts. Not so much now.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325iC
ya looking at it a little closer just notice the rear quarter panel looks a bit off...
You could always keep it and buy another...
Old 04-21-2017, 01:24 AM
Renaissance Dude

Finding a cherry with a blown engine would be wild. My shop is next to an auto auction. I saw an E30 in the back lot - right across from my parking space - maybe 6 years ago. Was told it was going into the 'mechanics' specials' Wed. night auction. I didn't have the space or need for it at the time. I could keep an eye out though.

Addendum:

Holy crap, insurance companies can be a drag. All they're going to give me is $3460 and they insist on $610 to buy it back. They say that's the bottom end of what dismantlers will pay for it.

All my web study indicates it's real hard to beat these jerks on property settlement. They have the regs they want - they can afford lobbyists and Congressional campaign donations. It's Chubb Ins., I see online that their top 10 executives have an average pay of $7m a year.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:41 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Angry Insurance companies are the scum of the earth

Sorry to hear that Cmac
At the risk of offending someone, I'll still say it
Quote:
I HATE Insurance
Whenever I needed them they were not there and balked

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)
Today's Posts Search