Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 03-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
The BMW RFT Merry-Go-Round

I have a friend of mine here in town who now has owned for less than 2 years a MY 12 535i. She's love's the free maintenance program that comes along today with all the new BMW's. This is one of the main reasons she purchased the BMW brand. She also raves about the Wheel and Tire program that she bought for $1900.

Last week she mentioned to my wife that BMW told her it was time for a new set of tires. After just after 18K miles she was shocked that it was already time for a new set of tires. Unfortunately she actually was under the impression that the Wheel and Tire program included tire wear and that she was going to get a new set of tires for free. Oh well I guess it never hurts to ask. Well to make a long story short she went with a new set of Michelin RFT for $2200 out the door.

Well I just don't have the heart to tell her how bad she has messed up or rub things in. She did know I sold my RFT 8 months ago and installed a set of non-RFT for the price that I sold the used RFT's. She couldn't understand why I would do such a thing.

Don't get me wrong Wheel and Tire insurance is great move in cold weather states but here in Arizona the roads are beautiful and dry and W&T is a poor decision.

So here she sits now on the BMW RFT Merry-Go-Round with another set of RFT in just 18K miles and W&T insurance at a total cost of $4100 in 2 years.

That sure is a lot to pay for, "peace of mind" and "simplicity".
Imola Red
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M Sport
20" 373 Wheels
NON-RFT/Nitto 555ZR-Extreme
Full LED Lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser/Gloss Black Wrap

Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2014. 640 ix Vert
Without looking at the tread depth and wear on her old tires it's hard to say she was "had".
But it sure smells like it !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	431007  
Old 03-30-2014, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Oh wow. That really sucks. I'm definitely loving my decision to go with the non-RFT Dunlops.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 03-31-2014, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Well, perhaps I am looking at this differently. Even if the car didn't have run-flats she probably would have bought Tire Hazard insurance? I am pretty sure the sales guy would have pushed that program regardless of tire type. And she probably would have gone with it! So this cost really shouldn't be applied to the cost of run-flats. Not to mention the Hazard program most likely is for longer than 2 years so amortizing it over that period artificially adds cost.

I know with my Porsche, which had sport tires like my 6, I only got around 20,000 miles on my non-runflats so very similar yield in miles. Sure she could have bought the tires for a lot less money, probably half that cost, but from a standpoint of how much this really cost above and beyond RFT's it is probably $1100 for the two year period. Or a paltry $550 per year, not the worst cost in the world for a pretty expensive car. Not to mention she can continue to drive on a flat tire, something that Women find more appealing. At least my Wife is not fond of stopping on the side of a highway to await Roadside for an hour or two.

Just saying that the sky isn't falling here for her!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i
I just pulled off my winter tires and wheels and went back with my RFT's...never thought I'd miss snow tires.. I had forgotten how harsh the ride is. As soon as the tire and wheel insurance runs out I'll most likely go with non-rft's.

BMW 2013 650i - (why did I wait so long!)
Maserati 2012 Gran Turismo
Mercedes 1993 300CE
Harley Davidson 2001 Deuce

NSX Sold
MB CL500 Sold (why did I wait so long!)
Old 03-31-2014, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i x Msport, B&O,
Tire and wheel insurance will cover non RFT. I had 2 cont DWS covered. I also have one ft and one rear Dunlap RFT with maybe 500 miles on them if anyone wants to buy them.. I do not know if I will mount my summer wheels and tires. I am liking regular tires on my 650..
Old 04-01-2014, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Winter seems to be finally winding down in Michigan. I can't wait to change back to my summers, especially since I'll be changing to non-RFT. However, I'm gonna wait a bit longer until they repair the roads a bit more. Although I've been pretty good at avoiding the big holes, I'm sure my 18" winter set up can take a bigger hit than the 20s.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Well, maybe she buys the concept, and the security RFTs supply. If she is comfortable with the trade-offs, and elects RFTs hers is logical decision. If RFTs rode and handled like high quality performance tires, most of us would just bitch about the price.

The concept is terrific. It just hasn't worked.

I for one thought that the RFTs on my E63 were just a crude beginning (and they were crude) and development of great tires that just happened to be run flats would soon follow. The run-flats on my F13 were marginally better, but not ready for prime time; compound improved but still very heavy, and handled oddly.

As it is, after the math I would guess the unsprung weight penalty of RFTs is greater than the weight of a donut spare. And this negates the rationale for the concept except for the limp home aspect.

The reality of RFTs after years on the market is a massive disappointment. It would confirm that the engineers either could not produce, or gave up trying to develop a quality performance RFT. While some have improved, all RFTs of which I am aware represent substantial performance and handling compromises compared to quality conventional tires.

The limp home ability is important to me. Canned goop is a helluvamess, and doesn't always work. My luck with flats makes me want to be able to have some ability to get home/or to tire repair.

So I am not satisfied with either alternative.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdsii View Post
Tire and wheel insurance will cover non RFT. I had 2 cont DWS covered. I also have one ft and one rear Dunlap RFT with maybe 500 miles on them if anyone wants to buy them.. I do not know if I will mount my summer wheels and tires. I am liking regular tires on my 650..
I'll pm you... let me check my own. I've had several replaced under warranty. What would you need for em??

BMW 2013 650i - (why did I wait so long!)
Maserati 2012 Gran Turismo
Mercedes 1993 300CE
Harley Davidson 2001 Deuce

NSX Sold
MB CL500 Sold (why did I wait so long!)