Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:58 PM
kimmie0371 kimmie0371 is offline
Registered User
Location: Gadsden, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x5
Driver side window won't go up! HELP

OMG...I pulled into my drive way today and my driver side window would not go up...does anyone have an idea as to how much this will cost to repair? By the time I got inside the BMW dealership was closed so I could not get an estimate...and I am headed to a funeral tomorrow that is out of town...
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 PM
DirtyDan's Avatar
DirtyDan DirtyDan is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 169
Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0i
It is the window regulator, go to fcpgroton.com and look up your year. I believe they are around $150 bucks. Install cost is another price, don't go to a dealer, you will pay $700-$1,000 would be my guess.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 AM
ChezWhiz ChezWhiz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 100
Send a message via AIM to ChezWhiz Send a message via MSN to ChezWhiz Send a message via Yahoo to ChezWhiz
Mein Auto: 2001 X5 4.4i
This is a common problem on the X5 (my 130K mi '01 had 3 of 4 die on me). If you're so inclined you can DIY (see the article on http://www.xoutpost.com/file-x5tips.htm). If not, take it to the dealer. If I remember correctly it cost me about $400 to have the front replaced. I did the rear windows myself and would have done the front myself but the day it happened it was raining so I needed it fixed then and there.
__________________
Colby,
[Dead] 2001 X5 4.4i w/ 139K miles (probable cracked engine block)
2005 X5 4.4i w/ 97K miles
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 PM
kimmie0371 kimmie0371 is offline
Registered User
Location: Gadsden, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x5
Thanks...I went to a import car repair shop and they quoted me $535, but because I was going out of town to a funeral I did not have the time to wait for hace the regulator installed...they were able to bring the window back up and charged me $98 to do so...I am back in town now and have the time to shop around for a better price...thanks so much for your response!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 PM
kimmie0371 kimmie0371 is offline
Registered User
Location: Gadsden, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x5
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezWhiz View Post
This is a common problem on the X5 (my 130K mi '01 had 3 of 4 die on me). If you're so inclined you can DIY (see the article on http://www.xoutpost.com/file-x5tips.htm). If not, take it to the dealer. If I remember correctly it cost me about $400 to have the front replaced. I did the rear windows myself and would have done the front myself but the day it happened it was raining so I needed it fixed then and there.
I youtubed a guy installing one...didn't seem that difficult...thanks so much for your response!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-11-2012, 07:38 AM
tmvE39/E53/Z32's Avatar
tmvE39/E53/Z32 tmvE39/E53/Z32 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle --> Atlanta
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,842
Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie0371 View Post
Thanks...I went to a import car repair shop and they quoted me $535, but because I was going out of town to a funeral I did not have the time to wait for hace the regulator installed...they were able to bring the window back up and charged me $98 to do so...I am back in town now and have the time to shop around for a better price...thanks so much for your response!
That quite a sum of $$$
Here is another DIY that I used (twice)
http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x5/...nt-bmw-x5.html
__________________

03 DINAN 540iA M-Sport (For-Sale http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-540iA-M-Sport)
01 //M5 (soon to be DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo

Last edited by tmvE39/E53/Z32; 07-11-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 AM
petriej's Avatar
petriej petriej is offline
Cruising 280 Top Down
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,088
Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Make sure you get new clips and nuts. I bought 2 sets because they are the failure point. I've had to do this on my passenger side window 3 times now. Hoping the new clips and nuts hold. So far they are.
__________________

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-12-2012, 11:05 AM
06 X5 User 06 X5 User is offline
Registered User
Location: La Mesa, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2006 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmie0371 View Post
OMG...I pulled into my drive way today and my driver side window would not go up...does anyone have an idea as to how much this will cost to repair? By the time I got inside the BMW dealership was closed so I could not get an estimate...and I am headed to a funeral tomorrow that is out of town...
I just replaced my passenger window. Purchased the part online for about $130; had to purchase clips at dealership cause one was broken but only cost a couple of bucks. And I paid a friend $50 for labor.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:41 PM
kimmie0371 kimmie0371 is offline
Registered User
Location: Gadsden, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW x5
Thanks so much, I wish I had a friend that could do the installment...I looked up the parts online as well and they are not that costly...however the labor is insain!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-17-2012, 11:51 AM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning ECSTuning is offline
Instructor of the Stig™
Location: Wadsworth, Ohio
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,877
Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
The window regulators in the E53 aren't too terrible to change out, there have already been some great DIYs posted which should help you out. I have your new regulators avaible HERE for your E53.

__________________

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-25-2012, 01:03 PM
zmbombr zmbombr is offline
Registered User
Location: New Mexico
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: x5 4.4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Make sure you get new clips and nuts. I bought 2 sets because they are the failure point. I've had to do this on my passenger side window 3 times now. Hoping the new clips and nuts hold. So far they are.
RE the "failure point" can these clips and nuts be replaced prior to the entire regulator system? I have disassembled the door and been able to get the window back up. the motor works and controls the window up/down as long as I don't go below about .5inch above the window frame, then the window sticks and wont come back up.

So Can I replace the "clips and nuts" to reestablish correct integrity of the regulator?,what is failing in the regulator? cable stretch????
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-25-2012, 01:12 PM
petriej's Avatar
petriej petriej is offline
Cruising 280 Top Down
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,088
Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Yes.

Failure of the regulator usually is a break in the cable (replace regulator), off track of the cable (put back on track if cable isn't broken) or structural failure elsewhere on the regulator.

In my case, the clip breaks and the window falls out of the carrier, but the regulator itself is fine.
__________________

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 PM
zmbombr zmbombr is offline
Registered User
Location: New Mexico
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: x5 4.4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Yes.

Failure of the regulator usually is a break in the cable (replace regulator), off track of the cable (put back on track if cable isn't broken) or structural failure elsewhere on the regulator.

In my case, the clip breaks and the window falls out of the carrier, but the regulator itself is fine.
Interesting. Makes me think there is something I can fix other than replacing the entire regulator. Such as loose bolts like the one I found between the vapor lock and the door which holds the window track.
Seems like when the window is completely down the geometry changes somewhere enough to restrict the window from moving back up.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 PM
BmanRRT BmanRRT is offline
Registered User
Location: Phoenix
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2000 x5 4.4L
window regulators are easy to install, the 1st one might take you a bit to figure out but after that you can do it in about 45min on most vehicles. I drive cars with ~100k miles and live in phx az. it seems that the heat wears the plastic clips and they give out always during my ownership. I've done alot of them and I'm not a mechanic. I can do it in about 30-40 min nowdays including the getting the door pannel off and back on. On my X5 I bought a regulator but it turned out I was able to change the plastic clips and didn't have to replace the whole regulator. I bought the clips at the stealership for ~$10 and it was an easy fix. I have since ordered some of the clips online for ~$1 each. Try it and I bet you'll find it not hard. Im sure this site has instructions somehere too.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-30-2012, 04:32 PM
ylwjacket's Avatar
ylwjacket ylwjacket is offline
Refugee
Location: florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: 2005 3.0
I've gone through some clips too. The aft one wasn't so hard to fix, but the forward one is proving to be a pain to get to. I also had another piece break where the regulator cable is held onto it. I reattached it with some wire.

I think I'm going to just take the whole stupid thing out and replace it all.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Sachs Sachs is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2002 X5 4.4
good call, i agree. I messed with clips for a few failures...its best to just replace the whole regulator, imho. Saves the door panel from being removed three times in a year. The aftermarket ones are cheap and mine has been working for over a year now. It is not that much more time to take the whole thing out vs. messing with clips.

...now if I can figure out the suspension swap...Once I do, expect a write up...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms