Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to coolfrank
Mein Auto: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I think BMW shouldn't have gone for the $3700 B&O option. Instead they should have done something like a $1000 Mark Levinson Reference system with about 1000 Watts. That would have been much better value for the customers and also delivered a wow experience. Mark Levinson is owned by Harman so it they may have been able to negotiate around the Lexus exclusivity.
I agree just traded in my Mark Levinson
Old 07-09-2012, 12:53 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
I appreciate the "it's not worth $3700" comment above.

If it truly was a couple hundred bucks, I'd buy it. Otherwise, I'd rather invest my dollars/euro/pounds/yen in other things.
This is exactly why I declined HK on my current crop of cars having had it on the older cars. I would decline the B+O as well even though I love the B+O in my friend's S5 coupe. At 3k plus I just do not see the value in it although I am sure it sounds wonderful. When BMW makes the HK standard (as it should) and the B+O 1500 bucks then I will buy the B+O.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I thought this might be helpful to those buying 2013 models.

I did a back to back comparison of the Bang and Olufsen system in the 650i to the Harman Kardon Logic 7 system (BMW Premium/Professional Sound) in my 550i M-Sport.

I drove the 550i up to the dealership. I have a well calibrated setup where I have adjusted every setting to bring out the best sound of the HK Logic 7 system. I used the following tracks for my back to back comparison (please no fun of my musical choices):
  • All I ask of you, Phantom of the Opera
  • Come What May, Moulin Rouge Soundtrack
  • Beautiful, Christina Aguilera
  • Your Love is King, Sade
  • Dancing in the Dark, Bruce Springsteen
  • Lolita, Alizee
  • To the Moon and Back, Savage Garden
  • Tears at the Discotheque, Alcazar
  • Crossfire, Brandon Flowers
  • Supernatural, Santana
  • White Flag, Dido
On the way up, one thing which struck me was how good my Logic 7 system sounds. It's not mediocre at all - its actually very good. The weakness is the base response and the clarity of the vocals is good but not as clear as audiophile grade systems. The sound is fantastic at higher volumes, but at lower volumes are underemphasized. So I have a choice between excellent sound, and being able to hear my radar detector.

Here are my findings on the B&O.
1) Wow sound experience like being in a sound studio. The sound system is vastly superior on the more contemporary music. It is superb with jazz and dance-pop music. On stuff like Phantom of the Opera and Moulin Rouge it is better but not strikingly better (which tells me that on higher range vocals the logic 7 is quite good).
2) The bass response is fantastic at all volumes. This is the first thing that strikes you. You find bass in some songs you didn't even know about. Quite impressive. It is perfect.
3) The vocals are very crisp and clear. Christina Aguilera and Dido sound absolutely amazing. Also Ewan McGregor's vocals from Moulin Rouge were just ridiculous. It was like he was in the car with me.
4) Guitar is superb. On Roy Orbison's You Got It the detail was just incredible - you can hear his fingers running down the guitar strings. Absolutely amazing. Springsteen and Santana also played impressively.
5) Brass and percussion are also excellent. If you like jazz, you will LOVE this system. It was made for jazz.
6) You can tell the difference between songs encoded lossless and songs encoded at 160kbps. It is a striking difference which tells me that you need good quality music to get the most out of this. I played Dancing in the Dark in both 160kbps and Lossless since I had both files on my iPhone on different albums. At 160kbps the B&O didn't sound that impressive. In fact I think low quality music may sound worse on this system.
7) The above observations were while parked. I then took the car for a drive, and the sound seemed less striking. These cars let in a decent amount of road noise from the tires and you don't hear the crispness and clarity when you are driving. While driving the audio seemed very good, but not $3700 better, maybe $1000 better. When parked it sounds $3700 better.

Conclusion:
I was clearly very impressed with the system. Then I went back to the 550i and drove back home. I pumped up the HK Logic 7 and played the same tracks again. The Logic 7 didn't have the wow factor but it still sounded very good. But I noted one important thing - I almost got a speeding ticket because I didn't hear my radar detector going off. And this reminded me - listening to music is a good activity for a commuter, but not a good activity for a recreational driver like myself. My sound system should be off, so I can enjoy my 500hp and have maximum situational awareness.
I have not compared the B&O system to our "supposed" Logic & system, but I think our existing systems have weaknesses. I liken it to Harmonic Distortion, but comparing it to my 2007 3 series Logic 7 system I get more and more disappointed with the F10. It doesn't have it. It is weak on crispness and almost sounds, underpowered. Not from a volume standpoint, but the amplifier's ability to reproduce the sounds properly.

Last edited by PeterC4; 07-09-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
I have not compared the B&O system to our "supposed" Logic & system, but I think our existing systems have weaknesses. I liken it to Harmonic Distortion, but comparing it to my 2007 3 series Logic 7 system I get more and more disappointed with the F10. It doesn't have it. It is weak on crispness and almost sounds, underpowered. Not from a volume standpoint, but the amplifier's ability to reproduce the sounds properly.
This is what the Audiophile types call sound staging. I had no idea what it meant until now, but it refers to the depth, richness and clarity of the sound which enables you to hear individual instruments and details. I think when you look back at my review above, this is what separates the B&O from the Logic 7. The voices sound like they are in the car with you.

However as I said before, you lose some of the clarity in the sound staging when you add road noise, etc. if you are riding on tarmac it isn't an issue. On Concrete surfaces it's a big deal. Source quality is also an issue, if the details are not there in the source, the B&O can't reproduce it. So if you are driving on concrete roads listening to Pandora or web radio, then this is not for you,

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
The current issue of Bimmer reviewed the 640iGC, and the reviewer was disappointed with the B&O system.

He claimed that the Burmester in the new Porsche Carrera is vastly more musical and transparent for less money.

Anyone here who have Porsches can verify this opinion?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M, 13 x6 5.0 soon
How does it compare to the enhanced premium dirac live?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
The current issue of Bimmer reviewed the 640iGC, and the reviewer was disappointed with the B&O system.

He claimed that the Burmester in the new Porsche Carrera is vastly more musical and transparent for less money.

Anyone here who have Porsches can verify this opinion?
If its the burmester that's also in the Cayenne's then it is not cheaper as that is $5,690.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 AM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
If its the burmester that's also in the Cayenne's then it is not cheaper as that is $5,690.
In the Panamera, the Burmester is $3900 which is very close to the $3700 pricing of B&O in the 5 series.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 AM
The Driver

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blo...rsche-panamera

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 07-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
deleted

Last edited by The X Men; 07-27-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Lexus GS 350
HK and BO

Hello guys. so my 2014 550i finally entered production (dec 19 order) So this are the options its coming with. can some one please explain what sound system am I getting? originally I ordered executive package which comes with HK, but in the built options it shows both HK and BO. anyone here had that issue?

Your 550i Sedan Selected Options

Heated front seats
Executive Package
Power tailgate
Ceramic Controls
Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
Soft-close automatic doors
Comfort Access keyless entry
Instrument cluster with extended contents
Harman Kardon surround sound system
Bang & Olufsen Sound System
Head-up Display
Lighting Package
Adaptive Full LED Lights
Automatic high beams
M Sport
Anthracite headliner
LED Fog Lights
Shadowline exterior trim
Aerodynamic kit
M steering wheel

Exterior
Alpine White

Interior
Leather Dakota Black exclusive stitching
Old 01-10-2014, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
You would hopefully know if you spent an extra $4,500 on an option. What does your dealer or your sales sheet say?
Old 01-10-2014, 05:57 AM

It does not say B&O, but why would it come up on built page? This is straight from their site. I hope they made mistake. But i hear HK sounds great 2

Sent from my VS980 4G using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-10-2014, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniely30 View Post
It does not say B&O, but why would it come up on built page? This is straight from their site. I hope they made mistake. But i hear HK sounds great 2

BMW's website is a notorious sh*tshow while the car is in production.

I once logged in to find they were building me a red X3 (when what I ordered was a black 5).

Mistakes do happen, and hopefully this one is in your favor, but I imagine you'll have the HK when the car leaves the factory.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 01-10-2014, 06:44 AM

Im pretty sure no 1 will be trowing a 4k system on the house. Its just every other option seems correct.
Thanks

Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i MSport
The best feature of my 2014 F10 is my HK sound system. Better than the 450 HP engine and better than the 704 suspension because I can always listen to great sounding music. Stuck in traffic sucks, but going through my playlist on my docked iPhone is great. Loved your review of the sound systems.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: F10
The HK system is different in the 2014 model than the manufactured by HK model in the 2013 line. That said, I agree that the HK is surprisingly good.

Bass is essentially absent from the HK but it sounds like a solid set of bookshelf speakers. It really evokes the quality of the old JBL XPL bookshelves. It doesn't have the last word on resolution and detail but it's not fatiguing at all and is pleasant. Even the HK system is good enough to reveal the difference between FLAC and mp3 audio. I can listen to the HK system all day without problem. At the price, you couldn't get a home system or a vehicle system with the same quality.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app