Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Recall for 2012 Z4 Electric Power Assist System

I got an e-mail this morning announcing a recall for the 2012 Z4 for the Electric Power Assist System. I didn't see it posted here yet, so here it is:

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
BMW / ACTIVEE 2011
BMW / Z4 2012
Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: JUN 28, 2012

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V302000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 162

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 1-SERIES ACTIVE E AND MODEL YEAR 2012 Z4 VEHICLES. VARIATIONS IN ELECTRICAL CURRENT MAY OCCUR WITHIN THE ELECTRIC POWER STEERING ASSISTANCE SYSTEM, LEADING TO SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER STEERING ASSISTANCE.

Consequence:
SUDDEN LOSS OF STEERING ASSISTANCE MAY INCREASE THE STEERING EFFORT REQUIRED TO CONTROL THE DIRECTION OF A VEHICLE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE STEERING ASSISTANCE MODULE, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JULY 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW CUSTOMER RELATIONS AT 1-800-525-7417.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...e&refurl=email

BMW Dealer Recall Notice
Quote:
This recall involves the Electric Power Steering (EPS) assist control module. An electronic component within the EPS assist control module is out of specification. As a result, a sudden loss of power steering assist may occur. However, if there was a loss of power steering assist, manual steering capability would be retained, although the effort required to steer would be more difficult.

If a loss of power steering assist occurs, a warning symbol will be illuminated on the vehicle's instrument cluster. An audible warning will also be activated.

Please note that, the next time the vehicle is started, the EPS assist module could function properly. This would be indicated by the instrument cluster NOT displaying the warning symbol. However, the condition could occur again while driving.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
This Recall Campaign involves Z4 and ActiveE models which were produced from November 2011 to December 2012.

In order to determine whether a specific vehicle has had this Recall Campaign completed or is affected by this Recall Campaign, first check the B-pillar label for code number 622. If code number 622 has been punched out, the campaign has already been performed. If code number 622 has not been punched out, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System) or the Key Reader. Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action.

CORRECTION
The repair consists of replacing the electronic power steering gear (EPS).

PROCEDURE
For Z4 models, refer to Repair Instruction 32 13 070, "Removing and installing (replacing) electric steering box (EPS)."

ActiveE vehicles DO NOT require a prior PuMA case for this repair.

For ActiveE models, refer to Repair Instruction 32 13 572, "Replacing electrical steering gear (EPS) (eDrive 1)."

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number Description Quantity
32 10 6 855 880 Steering Gear (E82E) 1
32 10 6 855 888 Steering Gear (E89) 1
Performing a Steering Gear part number look-up in ETK by VIN or model will result with the wrong Steering Gear part being invoiced.

Note: The part number(s) listed for this vehicle in ETK are not the correct part(s) for this repair, request and invoice the part number(s) specified and listed in this Service Information bulletin. Performing a part number look-up in ETK by VIN or model will result with the wrong part(s) being invoiced and installed.

The following components are required for replacement of the steering gear, regardless of model.

Part Number Description Quantity
32 10 6 773 068 ASA bolt 2
33 32 6 768 884 Hex nut 2
32 30 6 778 609 Torx bolt 2
33 30 6 787 062 Combination nut 2
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by tim330i; 08-09-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Potential number of units affected 162? I wonder why not all 2011 and 2012 Z4's?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 07-06-2012, 11:40 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Possibly only cars with or without Servotronic and only on the 4 or 6 cylinder engines?

We haven't heard anything from BMW UK. At least not yet.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 Roadster 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Potential number of units affected 162? I wonder why not all 2011 and 2012 Z4's?
This is an interesting question. Someone must have fallen asleep.