Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 X5 3.0i
Blower motor or resistor?

Hi all, I have an 02 x5 3.0. The rear air still blows, the front vents however have no airflow at all. I've tried putting it on auto and on max, I've heard that the resistor can go out, preventing the motor from working. It's only 104 outside today, so I'm gonna risk taking it apart. Any tips on testing the resistor after I've removed it? Trying to fix it right the first time, and the resistor is about $150 less than the motor at NAPA. Thanks, Kaileb

Two things in life are certain. Death and BMW repairs.

Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the special olympics. You're still retarded.
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2012, 04:27 PM

Here are the pieces I believe are the resistors. I took 2 off, I believe one for each blower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0081.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	331891   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0080.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	331892  

Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the special olympics. You're still retarded.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Do a search on FSR or FSU here and on xoutpost. You'll find that there is a reason the "blower resistor" in nicknamed Hedgehog.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 AM

Hedgehog it was. Now after reconnecting the battery, the ABS, Brake, and DSC lights won't go off. I tried the "door open, key in position 1 for 30 seconds trick, and it didn't work. Any suggestions? I've double checked and all the wires were connected correctly. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Start the vehicle and turn the steering wheel fully one way and then the other.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW X5
blower problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_5_bandido View Post
Hi all, I have an 02 x5 3.0. The rear air still blows, the front vents however have no airflow at all. I've tried putting it on auto and on max, I've heard that the resistor can go out, preventing the motor from working. It's only 104 outside today, so I'm gonna risk taking it apart. Any tips on testing the resistor after I've removed it? Trying to fix it right the first time, and the resistor is about $150 less than the motor at NAPA. Thanks, Kaileb
Hi, there.
If your AC controls appear to work as normal but blower/fan wont work, it sounds like it is a
Final Stage Unit or as you called it "blower resistor". It is the same thing. Now, the cost for this part shouldn't be more than $50 if you buy it on Ebay.
You have removed the wrong part here.
The final stage unit is located on the passenger side behind the carpet. You will need to remove the glove compartment and the side panel. Once you do this you will be able to see it if you follow a series of about five cables. It is still hard to remove due to its location. Make sure you don't brake anything since this parts are fragile plastic. step 1) remove cables carefully(this is hard to unplug be patient) step 2) remove resistor (just open the clips)
3) here you can test the new resistor. if it works put everything back together working backwards. Hope this works. let me know
They look like this. check link

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...&_ipg=25&rt=nc
Old 09-02-2012, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_5_bandido View Post
Hedgehog it was. Now after reconnecting the battery, the ABS, Brake, and DSC lights won't go off. I tried the "door open, key in position 1 for 30 seconds trick, and it didn't work. Any suggestions? I've double checked and all the wires were connected correctly. Thanks.
Did you ever get those lights go out. Im having the same issue now and i have a new FSU on the way.