Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:57 AM

Mein Auto: 528i / Corvette
EWS 3 in a old E39?

I'm swapping a M52TU in a originally M52 E39 from '97 (February).

And the EWS has to come with the engine

My issue is that the 97 had the old EWS in it (black box, big yellow connector behind the glove box). And the connector does not fit the new EWS. So what should I do?
Ads by Google
Old 05-03-2014, 04:58 AM

Should I remove dashboard and get the EWS harness from donor car? That looks crazy, it's connected to so many modules
Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 AM

Original EWS and ECU:

Old 05-03-2014, 05:38 AM

'97 EWS is version 2 / '99 EWS is version 3
'97 ECU is MS41 / '99 ECU is MS42
Old 05-03-2014, 06:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: yoda
I looked at the schematics and the M52 communicates over a TXD line where the M52TU car's EWS communicates over a k-bus line. The older car also has a transmit/receive module that you need to swap. What I would do is take all the pins out of your original EWS connector ans swap pins over from your car into the connector as well as take wires from the transmitter/receiver module and run them into your new EWS. I'm sure it will work completely and I know you won't be able to communicate with the EWS when your done, but it might work. I'll list off the pins that you need to pull from the yellow connector and where to put them in the black connector. You'll need to wire in your transmitter/receiver module by cutting the wires and connector from the donor car and splicing them in.

Yellow Black
Pin 1 goes to pin 1
Pin 3 goes to pin 2
Pin 4 goes to pin 4
Pin 9 goes to pin 6
Pin 7 goes to pin 9
Pin 5 goes to pin 10
Pin 2 goes to pin 13----This is the communication wire. I don't know if this going to work being that the original car uses a Txd and the new system uses K-bus. Plug it in and see. if things are screwy, take the pin back out.
You need to get a KLR signal wire to put into pin 11. KLR is a power when car is on only.

You then need to find the transmitter/receiver module to get the ring antenna wires and put them into the EWS. It's to the right of the steering column with a three pin connector and a two pin connector. the wires in the two pin connector need to go into pins 5 and 12 of the EWS connector. It doesn't matter which one of the wires go where into the EWS connector. It's just a coil.

Once you make all those swaps, you should be good. Again, you're going to run into a bunch of communication problems though because the diagnosis system was a big difference between the two cars.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the info

I wasn't expecting that much modifications before starting this swap
Old 05-03-2014, 06:22 AM

no problem. Again, they have completely different body electrical systems. Is it an auto trans? The DME will also need pin modifications
Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530d xDrive -12
Txd = k-line as far as I know. Txd + rxd = ADS. Actually txd and rxd are serial port's transmit and receive lines, not bus protocols.

Last edited by ap90500; 05-03-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 AM

Yes, donor DME is auto trans. Going into manual car.

I think I'm quitting this adventure, too many non-factory mods to apply to my car
Old 05-03-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap90500 View Post
Txd = k-line as far as I know. Txd + rxd = ADS
Not really. K-bus was on cars with only OBD2 sockets and TXD was on cars with the 20 pin connectors. I just looked further into this and it will definitely not work. The ms42 DME uses d-can as well and the pin outs are way different. The only hope is if you have a manual trans as there won't be any communication to the AGS/EGS. The DSC system also has a different bus communication method.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:12 AM

If you had an E46 the M52 to M54 swap is accomplished a lot easier. Sorry to bring the bad news
Old 05-03-2014, 08:13 AM

Yup I'm gonna buy a used M52 single vanos
Old 05-03-2014, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530d xDrive -12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gufemur View Post
Not really. K-bus was on cars with only OBD2 sockets and TXD was on cars with the 20 pin connectors.
K-bus is used in cars with 20-pin connector. It is a bus between modules, on e39 EWS 3 is connected to instrument cluster with k-bus and then instrument cluster is connected to the DME/DDE with CAN-bus. This route is used for ISN verification.

K-line (TxD) is used as diagnostic bus, it has nothing to do with communication between EWS and DME/DDE. As I said, TxD = K-line.

This is a good picture of LCI E39 bus system, much better than module specific wiring diagrams to get a big picture:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q...Diagnostic.jpg

On EWS2 there is a direct line between EWS and DME/DDE for ISN verification.

I think that it would be quite complicated to get it working, that instrument cluster is just one more thing to replace (I think). I also think that there is a bypass emulator solution for EWS 3, this will of course deactivate EWS.

Last edited by ap90500; 05-03-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap90500 View Post
K-bus is used in cars with 20-pin connector. It is a bus between modules, on e39 EWS 3 is connected to instrument cluster with k-bus and then instrument cluster is connected to the DME/DDE with CAN-bus. This route is used for ISN verification.

K-line (TxD) is used as diagnostic bus, it has nothing to do with communication between EWS and DME/DDE. As I said, TxD = K-line.

This is a good picture of LCI E39 bus system, much better than module specific wiring diagrams to get a big picture:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q...Diagnostic.jpg

On EWS2 there is a direct line between EWS and DME/DDE for ISN verification.

I think that it would be quite complicated to get it working, that instrument cluster is just one more thing to replace (I think). I also think that there is a bypass emulator solution for EWS 3, this will of course deactivate EWS.
You're right. I got my **** mixed up. You can make this work, but it would require a lot of mods and just isn't worth the small amount of gain. There are easy ways to completely bypass the EWS in the older system but not so much with EWS3 and up.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Modern mechanism can be really frustrating sometimes