Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: audi
Can Auto Start/Stop be Disabled Via Fuse?

One of my annoyances with the new X3 is the auto start stop system. I know you can press the button every time you enter the vehicle to turn it off, but I would love to permanently disable it.

I had heard you might be able to have a tech pull a fuse and stop the system from working, therefore stopping the need to press the button every time you drive. Anyone else heard or accomplished this? Thank you!!

Cheers,
Nick
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2012, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
I am no expert on this issue but these days everything is controlled by a computer, not by a simple button and fuse. If you search for "coding" you will find that this can be done by changing a small thing in the computer system. It is not really changing computer code but is instead just changing that feature to Not Active or actually Nicht Acktiv in German. Or you can set it to remember the last mode it was in, either off or on, from the last time you drove. I haven't done this yet but I am ready to do it when my new X3 arrives.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I would be interested in changing the code if I knew it wouldn't void the warrantee or cause some other malfunction. Seems like BMW should provide a fix for this.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330d xDrive Touring
I would like the ability to vary the time before the stop/start kicks in. I find that sometimes I pull up at a junction or roundabout and have to stop for a couple of seconds and the engine dies just as I want to pull away which can be dangerous. I have no problem with the engine switching off if I am waiting for more than, say, 10 seconds in a queue of traffic but the default setting is too short - what do others feel?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
You know you can prevent start/stop from kicking in if (after you come to a stop) you lift of the brake pedal slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sanford View Post
I would like the ability to vary the time before the stop/start kicks in. I find that sometimes I pull up at a junction or roundabout and have to stop for a couple of seconds and the engine dies just as I want to pull away which can be dangerous. I have no problem with the engine switching off if I am waiting for more than, say, 10 seconds in a queue of traffic but the default setting is too short - what do others feel?
Old 07-09-2012, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330d xDrive Touring
Stop/start

lbjgh

Yes - I did know that but always slightly worrying to release the foot brake, even slightly, when waiting at a junction. Also if you touch the foot brake when the engine is stopped and the electronic brake on engine will start and electronic brake disengage. Still feel I should be able to tell the car what I want it to do rather than the other way round!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sanford View Post
I've experienced the exact same issues as you and would like it if there was a longer delay before it activated or if the engine didn't shut down if the signal light is on. The other thing that concerns me is needlessly shutting a hot engine down all of the time and the affect that my have on the turbo's extremely hot bearings where the flow of cooling oil is constantly interrupted.

Last edited by Norm50; 07-09-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
I think this is the most insane features ever put on a car as a default mode. I don't live in or drive in the city so the feature is utterly senseless for me and actually dangerous as some have mentioned if I pull up to a stop sign to cross a highway, for example. I can't believe they don't have it as an optional setting rather than the default, especially if one wants to pretend they have a Prius or whatever and be in Eco Pro mode all the time, then they would love this feature. I hate it and am in the habit of hitting the button upon starting the car, but it's super annoying like if I valet park and pick it up and the valet's get all freaked out because it shuts itself off and then they panic and hit start again, thereby shutting off the car completely, and on and on. What the heck was BMW thinking on this one???
Old 07-10-2012, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
As much as people complain about this feature, it's becoming a requirement by countries. This is not all BMW's idea. Manufacturers are being pushed in this direction by governments to reduce idling engines.

I do hope that BMW improves on function of this to find a better balance between being practical about it and saving some gas.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 PM

We all know it's annoying, now will someone be so kind as to explain how auto start/stop can be permanently disabled or how you can have the computer default it to off?

If its not possible then I guess we're all SOL.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 AM

Computer (I-Drive) codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I am no expert on this issue but these days everything is controlled by a computer, not by a simple button and fuse. If you search for "coding" you will find that this can be done by changing a small thing in the computer system. It is not really changing computer code but is instead just changing that feature to Not Active or actually Nicht Acktiv in German. Or you can set it to remember the last mode it was in, either off or on, from the last time you drove. I haven't done this yet but I am ready to do it when my new X3 arrives.
Marathon Man - I too would like to reset some of the computer coding - to include the ability to set the auto stop feature to remember the last setting. Do you have any info on HOW the codes can be reset. One thing I would LOVE to set is the ability to have ALL the doors unlock automatically when the engine is turned off! My old Passat did that and I loved it!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:55 AM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=631884
Old 07-31-2012, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The coding is very easy to do if you want to take the time. I have coded the door locks to unlock when the engine is stopped and a couple of other items. Check out the coding forum and see if someone is close by to help you with it.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 AM

Thanks Marathon Man

Great info. I am learning more every day. Slowly but surely I will get it all figured out.

Just wish that finding and being able to download E-Sys and the other stuff was more straightforward. Not sure where I will be able to get the EST Token though.

I'll keep digging!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Everything you need is included in the download and the instructions you can find here. It does take some work to get it all done but people like April1 have made it much easier.