Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 4.4i 2001
Exclamation Transmission fluid help

Hi can anyone help me with a question about X5 transmission fluid capacity.
I have a 2001 X5 4.4i sport with 103k. A few days ago the engine management light came on, so i took it to BMW and they came up with a problem with the output speed sensor in the transmission.
After a little investigation i decided to replace the output speed sensor + the input speed sensor + the camshaft position sensor (because i had one anyway) at my local garage. I bought a new transmission filter and gasket and some transmission flush and dropped the car off with him. The work was done and i was charged for 4ltr fluid and labour.

Now when i drive the gearbox sounds different and any harsh acceleration results in "trans failsafe" on the dash. i have only done about 15 miles like this and thought something is not right so came on here to ask. My question is how much transmission fluid does it take because i have a feeling 4ltr is not enough. Any advice would be a great help as i have parked the car up and will use my bike until i get to the bottom of this.
Ads by Google
Old 08-23-2012, 12:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 4.8is
found this on ECS http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E53-X5-...ion/ES2523869/

personaly i would go with what they recommend, if i have to i would happily use BMW labeled oil = or its equivalent
Old 09-04-2012, 03:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5 4.4
I though your not supposed to change your transmission oil if the car has a lot of miles on it.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 4.8is
the theory behind that is the tranny is old and has worn out, the clearences have become a little bit bigger, but to conteract that the particles of shyt that has worn out is floating around in the fluid which makes it thicker....

100k should b ok to change @