Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Your lying dealership experiences?

So I was having a four wheel alignment and balance done and when I called they assured me it will be $190 plus weights. After making the effort and drive to the stealership they told me it would be around $240. To get back at them I ate and drank most of their coffee and snacks but I immediately regretted it. What are your guys' experiences with lying dealers?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E60 525i
First, their diagnostics are b u l l s h i t. After that they tell you they know this problem and that it will be solved after the repairs. Than suddenlly when you pick up your car, you realise that you have the same issues as before you went to $tealers but also you received a nice bill.
This is my story how I found BMW forums on internet. Dealership sucks especialy here in switzerland.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
Dealers' vested interest is to take as much of customers money as they can. In the process, they may try to resolve customer's problem.
That's their business model. They are in business to make money. Everything else is secondary.

If your expectation is different, you are only going to get heart burn.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i
Oh I have one!

Back when I bought my e39, it was still under factory warranty. This was my first BMW. I bought it out of state, from the dealer that was not a BMW dealer. Car had 34k miles on it. I noticed that when I would hit the brakes, it would shake. No biggy I thought, it's under warranty and I am sure dealer will replace the rotors and pads.

Bring my car home and call the nearest BMW dealership. Not knowing anything about the car and not realizing it was really easy to work on, I have the car checked out. Of course, it needs new brakes all around. To my surprise, the dealer tells me that they can't do it under warranty because the pads are aftermarket and they do not have BMW stamp on them. Price? $740 front, $650 rear. I told them to do front and not worry about the rear. It was a definite price shock for me.

So they replace the front rotors and pads....couple months later, I do some research and buy OEM parts online for the rear brakes. I take my old pads out, clean them and what do I see??? BMW logo on pads! So basically, I am pretty sure that front had original pads. Car had only 34k miles.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxym View Post
Oh I have one!

Back when I bought my e39, it was still under factory warranty. This was my first BMW. I bought it out of state, from the dealer that was not a BMW dealer. Car had 34k miles on it. I noticed that when I would hit the brakes, it would shake. No biggy I thought, it's under warranty and I am sure dealer will replace the rotors and pads.

Bring my car home and call the nearest BMW dealership. Not knowing anything about the car and not realizing it was really easy to work on, I have the car checked out. Of course, it needs new brakes all around. To my surprise, the dealer tells me that they can't do it under warranty because the pads are aftermarket and they do not have BMW stamp on them. Price? $740 front, $650 rear. I told them to do front and not worry about the rear. It was a definite price shock for me.

So they replace the front rotors and pads....couple months later, I do some research and buy OEM parts online for the rear brakes. I take my old pads out, clean them and what do I see??? BMW logo on pads! So basically, I am pretty sure that front had original pads. Car had only 34k miles.
Brake pads and brake discs are not typically covered under a factory warranty. Not sure if BMW had free factory scheduled maintenance when you had you e39; if so, this should have been covered.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
The big problem (if not all of it), Service-advisor is on "comission" based pay. They are really sales-guy in different dept inside a dealer. There are good ones and there are boderline unethical ones (writting work order unecessarily etc). The best way is:
1) educate yourself, this makes you more confident saying no on work you know is questionable.
2) get to know them a bit, if they service is off a bit still give them 5-stars on survey (these surveys are not anonymous and they are human so make mistakes like all of us do and 5-stars survey entitle them full bonus from dealership).
3) Know yur car well, I usually told them that yes the brakes may need replacing soon or I have tires on order etc. Just to signal them that I am not clueless about my car condition.

Remember, SA and dealership will initiate any PUMA case (for big problems to be resolved) and even bat for you against BMWNA for out-of-waranty work. Scratch their back and soon they'll scratch yours. That's how I view this sometimes contencious relationship.

Last edited by HPIA4v2; 11-14-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
The big problem (if not all of it), Service-advisor is on "comission" based pay. They are really sales-guy in different dept inside a dealer. There are good ones and there are boderline unethical ones (writting work order unecessarily etc). The best way is:
1) educate yourself, this makes you more confident saying no on work you know is questionable.
2) get to know them a bit, if they service is off a bit still give them 5-stars on survey (these surveys are not anonymous and they are human so make mistakes like all of us do and 5-stars survey entitle them full bonus from dealership).
3) Know yur car well, I usually told them that yes the brakes may need replacing soon or I have tires on order etc. Just to signal them that I am not clueless about my car condition.

Remember, SA and dealership will initiate any PUMA case (for big problems to be resolved) and even bat for you against BMWNA for out-of-waranty work. Scratch their back and soon they'll scratch yours. That's how I view this sometimes contencious relationship.
I don't mean to sound arrogant but if you are going through all this trouble and you are so connected with your car's condition, why do you need this glorified sales person?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimr View Post
I don't mean to sound arrogant but if you are going through all this trouble and you are so connected with your car's condition, why do you need this glorified sales person?
When I buy a brand new car, it's cover by 4yr/50k waranty, you need to take it to dealer for free oil-change, brake-flush, wiper blades etc etc. On these visits, sometimes SA offers extra work that is not covered, like alignment, injectors cleaning, new tires etc etc.
BTW, everytime dealer work on your car, Carfax recorded all that, not sure but more-n-more people when buying used car (you will sell your brand new car at some pint) rely on Carfax so it's good to take your car to dealer so it has some service history under Carfax.

You didn't read my last point, SA good words to BMWNA worth more than you arguing against BMWNA rep on something that expensive to repair (remember BMWNA would rather not do those repairs to save money). One time, my SA told me to contact BMWNA on out-waranty "goodwill" repair even give me the number to call, BMWNA asked me which dealer I went to, I believe to verify the situation, I am sure the SA spoke and recomend the work, in my case free instrument cluster even when the car was 2-yr out of waranty.

I didn't say, you have to follow what I said, many people have money and happy to spend it as long they are treated like king. unfortunately I don't have that kinda money.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
You will not find a SA that will replace your tires for free out of new car warranty. The new tire warranty is either 1200 or 2000 miles. It is very specific in the manual.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Since I know a lot about how my car works and what's needed for it before I go in, I haven't been lied to in years.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger16 View Post
You will not find a SA that will replace your tires for free out of new car warranty. The new tire warranty is either 1200 or 2000 miles. It is very specific in the manual.
That's what I was saying, SA will offer to replace tires, clean injectors, alignment etc, and these are not covered. If you know your car you know you can do better on tires through Costco, discount-tires or Tirerack. Injector cleaning is not necessary, I own a 12yr old BMW and never once done that.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
I only go to BMW for recall/warranty related service.
Otherwise avoid them as they rip you off on every front. Over charge and under perform. Including inventing non existent problems.
I have the Bavarian Technic cable, so can diagnose everything myself and know what needs to be done. Then I do myself or use a trusted local independent.
I am sure the quality varies between dealerships and SAs, but generally they are a mercenary operation looking to relieve you of your money while using their name. But it's just a car run by a computer, so once you figure that out they really don't know anything you don't already know. No magic or voodoo.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:03 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
its business expect to pay the BMW royalty fee or go to an indy shop, try pirelli tires only