Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-07-2015, 06:38 AM
Skavilla Skavilla is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
2008 535i: possible coolant in oil

I own a 2008 535i. When changing my oil yesterday, it looked like there was coolant in the oil filter housing. Not completely sure but it looked "greenish". I have not done a test on the captured oil from the oil change yet. Anyone know what this could be caused by? I hear a blown head gasket, maybe? Would I see oil in the coolant reservoir if head gasket blown?

Last edited by Skavilla; 03-07-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-07-2015, 09:02 AM
banglenot's Avatar
banglenot banglenot is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ft. Lauderdale and Connecticut
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,973
Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skavilla View Post
I own a 2008 535i. When changing my oil yesterday, it looked like there was coolant in the oil filter housing. Not completely sure but it looked "greenish". I have not done a test on the captured oil from the oil change yet. Anyone know what this could be caused by? I hear a blown head gasket, maybe? Would I see oil in the coolant reservoir if head gasket blown?
Pics of the problem would help. Also, pics into the oil fill on the head, as well as the oil fill cap.
__________________

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." -- Kurt Vonnegut
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-07-2015, 02:19 PM
HPIA4v2 HPIA4v2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: washington
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,500
Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
is the oil-filter housing gasket leaking?

OK, see the picture, that section on the lower left is where coolant and the top one where oil is, overtime the gasket breaks down, when that happens coolant can mix with oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OFH_N54.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	496247  
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-07-2015, 02:26 PM
DJtoad DJtoad is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ellicott City, MD
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 511
Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
+1 for the oil filter housing gasket.
__________________
2010 535i M Sport - Platinum Gray/Dakota Black/Anthracite Bamboo
JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, ER Charge Pipe with Forge DVs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 160 LED angel eyes
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Skavilla Skavilla is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I will check that tmrw. Thanks for the heads-up.

If it is that gasket, and not something more major, would there be oil in the coolant reservoir, as well? Is that gasket failure more of a "one-way" leak, or does it leak back and forth?

Btw, car is still running great, no smoke in the exhaust, no overheating, no codes.....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-2015, 05:48 AM
HPIA4v2 HPIA4v2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: washington
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,500
Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skavilla View Post
I will check that tmrw. Thanks for the heads-up.

If it is that gasket, and not something more major, would there be oil in the coolant reservoir, as well? Is that gasket failure more of a "one-way" leak, or does it leak back and forth?

Btw, car is still running great, no smoke in the exhaust, no overheating, no codes.....
if it's OFH gasket it would be two way leak but it's small, but I noticed yogurt like substance on my oil cap when I still had the OFH leak.

the other possible things:
1) I noticed is oil can get onto upper radiator hose when OFH leaks, it swell and oil albeit small quantity can sip into the coolant.
2) you have moisture in oil from condensation and not driving long distance very often.

I'd fix the OFH leak soon, oil and rubber just don't mix, it ruins the upper radiator hose and serpentine belt if it drips even more overtime.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-2015, 07:18 AM
Skavilla Skavilla is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Thanks for all the help. I will tackle that Monday. I want to have the gasket in hand before I open it up. Assuming one of my local BMW $tealers will have one in stock. Online, they are about $15. Can't wait to see what the $tealer charges.

I assume a coolant flush and refill is in order, as well. Getting mixed opinions on that one. Some say antifreeze is antifreeze, green stuff is ok. Others say no, use the BMW blue stuff.

Anyone care to opine?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-2015, 07:47 AM
banglenot's Avatar
banglenot banglenot is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ft. Lauderdale and Connecticut
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,973
Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skavilla View Post
Thanks for all the help. I will tackle that Monday. I want to have the gasket in hand before I open it up. Assuming one of my local BMW $tealers will have one in stock. Online, they are about $15. Can't wait to see what the $tealer charges.

I assume a coolant flush and refill is in order, as well. Getting mixed opinions on that one. Some say antifreeze is antifreeze, green stuff is ok. Others say no, use the BMW blue stuff.

Anyone care to opine?
Use the BMW. The green stuff is clearly wrong and shouldn't be used. There are others that are compatible with BMW engines, but the BMW is $25 per gallon and only one gallon is needed when mixed with 1 gallon of distilled. Since a flush is 2-4 years apart, the relative price diff is meaningless.
__________________

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." -- Kurt Vonnegut
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2008, 5353i, coolant in oil


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms