Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nothing
Start Stop Button - Sometimes have to press twice?

Hey guys I've had my 03 745i for a couple weeks now and every so often when I am pressing the start button to start the car the ignition comes on so I know I pressed button hard enough, but engine doesn't start.. if I press again it fires up. Tonight I had to do it two times before it fired.. I have searched and seen this has been talked about before, but everyone says make sure your pressing the brake, well I am, albeit maybe not too hard but it should be hard enough.. I read there is a start lock relay or something that could cause this.. has anyone had any experience with this? I don't want to get stranded somewhere.. wondering maybe the sensor on the brake pedal too? All I know is this car is starting to scare me with all these issues.. I came from a W220 Benz, and I used to complain, and we thought those cars had problems, but as much as I love BMW way more, I have to say, these are on a whole 'nother level..

Anyway, any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Been also reading about the Integrated Supply Module.. I may try that for $120.. I guess it has paraffin in the construction and paraffin evaporation can cause irregular voltage output. It can cause a lot of error conditions to pop up... including transmission errors. Anyone replace this? I guess it's a ten minute job.. so I would assume no programming.. thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745Li
Mine has been doing the same thing the last couple of weeks. No idea what the problem is though. It honestly doesn't bother me except for the fact my steering wheel moves up and down for like 2 mins lol.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Well my wheel moves down when I put the FOB in, so that doesn't move up and down, just have to press the start button twice sometimes. ordered that module for $100 will see if that does it, otherwise will replace start lock relay..
Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
I remember reading about someone with
The same problem , & it ended up being
The brake light switch .

Hope that helps ...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 11-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Thanks Paper, I am going to start pressing on the brake harder and see if that stops it.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
I remember reading about someone with
The same problem , & it ended up being
The brake light switch .

Hope that helps ...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App
Forgot all about that. Mine came out of adjustment a couple weeks ago and gave me a mess of problems. I think mine might still be loose
Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Weird, I too have an 2003. I noticed that a couple times in the past few weeks. Im pretty sure I just wasnt pressing the break hard enough. But ill keep an eye on this thread if my issue persists.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM

So far I have been pressing the brake harder and the last 5 starts since I wrote this have worked everytime.. we'll see. I think I am going to buy that module for $100 anyway.. as a spare part.. as they do go bad