Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li BMW X5 4.8iS
Hmmmmm.... why don't you believe what I am telling you?

The supplementary loom only connects to the main door harness via a two pin connector.

The supplementary harness has the four pin connector for the CA door handle and the connector for the now LED door handle lights rather than the fibre optic tube and it also has the connector to the window motor. This supplementary loom connects itself to the door module and only joins the main door harness with the two pin connector only.......

The PA bus wire is present in your existing main door harness and goes to the plug on the body of the car....but that is where it ends. You have to pick it up from inside the body, where the door plug connects and route to the connector block.
So the PA bus wire comes to the plug on the body and ends. You have to make up the wire with the connection on it to go in the plug to pick up were it is arriving....Pin 3 on the plug at the body of the car....(where the door is hinged)

oh boy.... as I said in an earlier post, I have the exact same door wiring as you......

Ace

Last edited by AceFX; 07-29-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
ACE, I believe what your saying, I'm just saying why is the supplementary harness from the door module for a car with soft close and/or CA not have the required connector?

I'm not trying to start an argument. Im just trying to work out why it's missing.

As you say the wire is present in the main door loom that's not so bad.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
The supplementary harness has the four pin connector for the CA door handle and the connector for the now LED door handle lights rather than the fibre optic tube and it also has the connector to the window motor. This supplementary loom connects itself to the door module and only joins the main door harness with the two pin connector only.......
It is the main harness that has the SC part on it......

Maybe it is better if you work out the wiring for yourself....I am only continually repeating myself to you.......
Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFX View Post

Maybe it is better if you work out the wiring for yourself....I am only continually repeating myself to you.......
ACE,

I'm either completely confused here or I havent explained myself correctly:

My car was built in Nov 2001, it has soft close doors. On the parts list for my year of manufacture its shows two different part numbers for both the main loom and the supplementary loom:

Part 1 (supplementary harness):
6934021 - No Comfort Access or Soft Close
6934022 - With Comfort Access or Soft Close

Part 2 (Main door harness):
6923698 - No Comfort Access or Soft Close
6923696 - With Comfort Access or Soft Close

As my car has soft close doors shouldn't I have the wiring for the comfort access in both looms as the part descriptions imply?

I understand the looms you are fitting are for the newer handles with LED illumination post March 05.

Either way the connectors and wiring is missing, do all CA handles have LED illumination?

Thanks ACE
Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Banned

Another repeat
Quote:
There are two different Main Door Harnesses ........ one without SC and one with SC

There are two different supplementary looms ........ one without CA and one with CA

The only difference with the Main Door Harness in your car which has SC on it, is that the door handle is illuminated by fibre optic from a halogen light at the bottom of the door.

The updated Supplementary Harness now extends that light connection in the door, via the CA supplementary loom to the LED in the door handle. So you have to remove the halogen light fitting down inside the door and the power that went to it, is the two pin connector that connects to the supplementary harness ........

The supplementary loom is for the power window motor, and has added to it the CA and (LED light power extension via two pin connector) ......... or if you don't have CA, it is only a loom that connects to the power window motor and power to the LED light in the door handle

Ace

Last edited by AceFX; 07-29-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Another repeat

There are two different Main Door Harnesses ........ one without SC and one with SC

There are two different supplementary looms ........ one without CA and one with CA
RIGHT, Thats where the confusion is!

BMW FANS Door Looms

Clearly shows the harnesses for CA and SC are the SAME, which is what ive been trying to say.

I believe you over the website of course
Must be an error hence my confusion with missing connectors!

Thanks for clearing that up ACE. Ive had the halogen bulb out before to convert it to LED so this looks like an even better upgrade now!

Is the PA_BUS terminal strip under the dash there as standard? you said you had to add the wires from the door connector...

Thanks again!

Stuart
Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 AM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
ACE, PAPER,

How do I go about getting a comfort access key fob programmed to my car? Can the dealer do this with a used key?

I thought I saw a post from ACE saying PAPER had a DIY on key programming, I can't seem to find the DIY though...?

Thanks,

Stuart
Has anyone used this s/w or is their an easier way with inpa etc..

I was interested to see the short vin changed on the passive go module.

My car had some new modules fitted, but some have short vins that don't match my car..
[maybe the dealer used parts off another car, wouldn't put it past them, shower of cnuts]

Can the vin be changed using inpa/ncs?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Burger View Post

My car had some new modules fitted, but some have short vins that don't match my car..
[maybe the dealer used parts off another car, wouldn't put it past them, shower of cnuts]

Can the vin be changed using inpa/ncs?
Nice find!
Looks pretty good, shame it may only be used a handful of time though.

Really? Most VIN numbers can be changed using Tool32, you have to open up the correct .prg file for the module and use fg_schreiben, in the arguments field write your VIN (the 18 digit version with the check digit, can be seen on the NCS screen when connected) and hit the execute once button.

Failing that WinKFP asks for the VIN (17 digit version) when you re-flash the firmware/operating software to a module, I changed the VIN on the LM2 doing this, It can be done in Tool32 though, I just updated the software and its part of the process.

I must admit the software ACE uses is much better for writing VIN's and coding using HEX (nettodata in NCS). Im tempted to buy a lead myself, im sure I can copy one though

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 07-29-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:46 AM
2007 760Li User

Yup. Check out the attached images. (note the modules @ 38 and 3C in 2nd image)

I don't think I've used Tool32 before, will have to check it out..I'd like to avoid having to flash the f/w just to correct the VIN

Cheers

BTW Ace, is your c/a finished now or are you just waiting for the keyfob to be registered?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inpa7.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	334795   Click image for larger version

Name:	inpa8.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	334796  
Old 07-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Ahh yeah, both have been replaced at some point, of you use NCS, select the suspension module, NCS will comunicate with the module and choose the correct file based on its software and hardware level.

NCS will display in the main window what .prg file it's using to communicate. Note down the full 18 digit VIN number and close NCS.

Go back to Tool32, select 'load SGB File' navigate to your E65 daten folder and load the .prg file NCS chose to use.

In the list on the left (it's all in German I'm afraid!) find fg_lesen and double click it. A window should pop up and it should return the incorrect VIN.

Now go back and find fg_schreiben and enter your 18 digit VIN in the arguments box, at the top bar is a button with an arrow, hover the mouse over, should say execute once or something along those lines, click it.

You should now get a window saying job processed ok and the new VIN will be shown, go back to fg_lesen to check.

Some modules need to be powered down and back up for the changes to take affect, I remember the NAV being a pain, it may have had something to do with me not doing it properly at the time!

Do the same for your CDC.

By the way you have a lot of modules returning FF?

Stuart
Old 07-29-2012, 12:15 PM
2007 760Li User

Yeah, fook knows why.. Everything works perfectly on the car..

I suspect it may be a problem with INPA. For example, I can't run the rough test as my car has a newer module that INPA isn't able to communicate with..

Thanks for that, I will investigate this tomorrow (darts is on atm lol)

Cheers
Old 07-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Odd, I have two modules that do that, I presumed the modules didn't have the facility to store the VIN.

Ha ha ok,

Stuart
Old 07-29-2012, 12:27 PM
2007 760Li User

Well if you have vin codes shown on modules that I don't, either a radical change happened on newer modules or INPA was unable to talk to them correctly..

Who knows, all I know is Phil Taylor is not firing on all cylinders either
Old 07-29-2012, 03:34 PM

I have found the new loom on eBay, unfortunately only one on there at the moment, price from the dealer looks to be about 60 each.... ouch!

I have found however the tyco connector for the CA handle:

Tyco Quadlok Socket Housing
(Open the Pdf, the image on the page is not the correct connector)

By the pic I found the coding of the connector is either A or B (I couldnt zoom in enough to see exactly). Tyco make connectors for BMW marked with the BMW part number, BMW also specify different colour coding than the standard range.

I can get these connectors through a supplier at about 0.80 each, they use the same crimps/contacts as the PDC sensors Tyco part 962885-5.

I just need to find out the part number for the door module connector and I can make my own harnesses!

I could just convert the CA handles to fibre optic illumination, or add the two new connectors and wiring and use the LED version.

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 07-29-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is the PA_BUS terminal strip under the dash there as standard? you said you had to add the wires from the door connector...
I wil let you know shortly, just at that stage now
Old 07-29-2012, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Ace I'm on line you coming?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Clearly shows the harnesses for CA and SC are the SAME, which is what ive been trying to say.
That is because it is the supplementary loom that adds CA to to SC main loom
Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
your package is ready, make sure you get it. I still haven't seen any info on the package you suppose to send me.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

I have successfully used Dashsoft to change short VIN's to match my car

Ace
Old 07-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
All I am waiting to do now is program the key fobs to my car ......

Ace
Old 07-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

Stuart, have you retrofitted Adaptive Headlights?

My LM2 just arrived today.

Ace

Last edited by AceFX; 07-29-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Stuart, have you retrofitted Adaptive Headlights?

My LM2 just arrived today.

Ace
Almost.... Ive fitted and coded the later LM2 to my car.

If you check out the E60 forums they have to do exactly the same when doing the LCI facelift lights upgrade.

If I remember correctly you may have to add some extra wiring for the adaptive function. I don't know if it's a separate connector on the back of the headlight or you populate vacant positions in an existing connector?

As long as you fit the wiring, it should then just be a case of adding the adaptive headlight option to you VO and coding the LM2.

EDIT:
This isn't quite as straight forward as I thought, there appears to be another module that controls the vertical and horizontal actuators in the headlight. Looks a bit of a pain to add in. The new headlights use a LIN bus and each headlight has another control module integrated into it that controls the motors.

Connectors look the same though, can you confirm that ACE? It would require moving some pins from the light module connector and moving them to the new control module. The LM2 no longer controls the vertical aim control if you have adaptive headlights.

If you want to use dashsoft hopefully mr burger can post his nettodata trace and you can copy over the blocks of data for the adaptive settings.

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 07-30-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I wil let you know shortly, just at that stage now
Thanks ACE,

Could you post the part number of the connector that plugs into the door module on your old harness please?

Many thanks!

Stuart
Old 07-30-2012, 02:51 AM
Banned

The adaptive headlights for the facelift have the control modules fitted to the headlight assembly on the outside of it. I had to buy those separate to the headlights. I will post some pics in a few days.

Ace
Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Banned

The CA wiring picks up from pin four on the harness connector at the body of the car. If you check you harness connector, unscrew it, pull the rubber cover back, you should see a white with red trace wire go in to pin 3.
That is the PA wiring coming from the door module.

It is from the four door connectors on the body that you pick up pin 3 and then run them to the connector block behind the fuse panel behind the glovebox. Then you run a wire from the connector block to pin 17 on the CAS.

Ace

Last edited by AceFX; 07-30-2012 at 03:06 AM.