Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li BMW X5 4.8iS
Ah, so it was a battery issue then...... that is good news.

I have successfully fully recoded my old LM and converted it back with no dramas.

Ace
Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 PM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFX View Post
Yes, i wasn't sure if it was standard or not. But I do know that it is coded on the LM.

Can you provide a dump of your LM?

Ace
You mean like : http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=141

Edit: Remember, it's an LM2

Last edited by Mr_Burger; 08-01-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Banned

Ta
Old 08-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Quote:
Hey Stuart, I have completed re-coded my old LM with new codes and it worked, and I didn't brick it........ I am now wondering what you and PAPER did that killed yours?

Ace
Hi ACE,

I bricked mine writing the vehicle order and not doing simple function coding.

I remember PAPER saying he was doing this too.

It caused the processor in the LMA to not boot it's operating software, there is a hardware fail safe function so you have lights and brake lights, there are no fogs, indicators, interior lights, sidelights, main beam etc... The lights come on automatically with the ignition.

The problem is the module is only programmable over the CAN, the LMA cannot boot up and communicate on the CAN meaning the unit is now unrecoverable. I think the older LMA use old flash memory and require a 12v programming voltage making them especially sensitive to system voltage levels
Old 08-04-2012, 02:26 AM
Banned

Sorry for the delay on the final process. I am just waiting for the key programmer to arrive from eBay

Hopefully it will be this week.

Ace
Old 08-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Banned

Hi Stuart, I have NCS running now and am trying it out. How are you with it?

Ace
Old 08-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Banned

In this video I demonstrate the difference between the standard Key Fob and the Comfort Access Key Fob.

Ace

This is what I am waiting for......

Last edited by AceFX; 08-04-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Banned

In this video I demonstrate how the PA bus wiring is connected to the CAS via the PA bus connector block (X13438)

The PA bus (Passive Access bus) is a single wire bus that runs from Pin 1 on connector (X13354) on the Passive Go module (A215) in the trunk, and a single wire from each door connector at the body Pin 3 on connectors (X257, X256, X273 X274) and to a connector block (X13438) behind the fuse panel.

A single wire then runs from the PA bus connector block (X13438) and goes to Pin 15 in connector (X10318) on the CAS (A149)

So this means you have five individual wires that meet at the connector block (X13434) and from there one single wire that goes to Pin 15 on the connector (X10318) on the CAS (A149)

The only remaining step is to code the CAS (A149) for Comfort Access.

You do not need to change the CAS or the DME

Here is the link to the wiring diagram shown below

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...7751.svg?m=e65

Ace

Last edited by AceFX; 08-06-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:55 AM

Hey,

Don't mean to hijack the thread! But I have decided to take the plunge with this retrofit too, the most ambitious yet!

Ace has helped me out with getting some of the parts, I have decided that I will retrofit it over a long term period while doing other bits and pieces.

I currently have just the interior floor antennas and the passive go module. I am starting work with the wiring harness first. Instead of trying to find a complete harness from a breakers I am building the harness myself from scratch.

I will first lay the wiring for the footwell antennas and then populate the passive access connector with the power, CAN, PA bus etc....

I have made up four lengths of cable

They are made using multi coloured 16/0.2 wire, 0.5mm2.

The connectors I have sourced from tyco electronics, they make pretty much every connector in the BMW range. Beware, tyco have an agreement with BMW and some parts are restricted, you have to find the mainstream equivalent tyco/amp product that is available for general sale, they can take a bit of hunting down!

An example is the 26 way connector for the module, I had to order the yellow version, it's coded differently, 5 mins with a scalpel knife and a needle file to remove the offending coding lugs and it fits the passive go module perfectly.

The yellow connector and insert were samples from the website so cost nothing.

The small black connectors for the antennas are around 20 pence each, the crimps are around 12 pence each.

I will update progress as and when. If anyone wants the part number and data sheets for the connectors an crimps I will post them up.

Stuart
Old 09-07-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Hey,

Don't mean to hijack the thread! But I have decided to take the plunge with this retrofit too, the most ambitious yet!

Ace has helped me out with getting some of the parts, I have decided that I will retrofit it over a long term period while doing other bits and pieces.

I currently have just the interior floor antennas and the passive go module. I am starting work with the wiring harness first. Instead of trying to find a complete harness from a breakers I am building the harness myself from scratch.

I will first lay the wiring for the footwell antennas and then populate the passive access connector with the power, CAN, PA bus etc....

I have made up four lengths of cable

They are made using multi coloured 16/0.2 wire, 0.5mm2.

The connectors I have sourced from tyco electronics, they make pretty much every connector in the BMW range. Beware, tyco have an agreement with BMW and some parts are restricted, you have to find the mainstream equivalent tyco/amp product that is available for general sale, they can take a bit of hunting down!

An example is the 26 way connector for the module, I had to order the yellow version, it's coded differently, 5 mins with a scalpel knife and a needle file to remove the offending coding lugs and it fits the passive go module perfectly.

The yellow connector and insert were samples from the website so cost nothing.

The small black connectors for the antennas are around 20 pence each, the crimps are around 12 pence each.

I will update progress as and when. If anyone wants the part number and data sheets for the connectors an crimps I will post them up.

Stuart
Wow thanks for sharing this respect all THE way
Old 09-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Banned

Hi Stuart,

Good work.

One of the best parts is that you dont have to change the CAS and DME, just the code we discussed earlier. Mine works fine with my original CAS and DME.

Ace
Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 AM

Hey,

Just a quick update, the weather here in the UK is great at the moment! At last!

I decided to have a go at running some of the antenna connections in preparation for the retrofit.

I ran the two wires for the passenger side (RHD) antennas through the cable/harness gland in the rear bulkhead.

I then ran them down the side of the rear seat following the factory loom.

I used fabric tesa tape to wrap the new wires to the existing harness.

I also found out the second best use for a kebab stick! I taped 5 together end to end with the front passenger antenna wires at the front and fed the lot down the harness channel next to the sill under the b pillar. Worked great and saved me a fair amount o work.

Kebab sticks emerging in the passenger sill area!

And pulled all the way through.

And fitted the two passenger side antennas.

And finally the first two antenna cables routed to the passive go module area.

Stuart
Old 09-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Banned

Hey Stuart.......

I'm calling you Kebab from now on.......

using kebab sticks is just too funny......

Keep up the good work Kebab!

Ace
Old 09-09-2012, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 750I
Quote:
Hi Stuart,

Good work.

One of the best parts is that you dont have to change the CAS and DME, just the code we discussed earlier. Mine works fine with my original CAS and DME.

Ace
Hey Ace

Where is the video of your comfort access retrofit in action? Where you able to code the key on your own?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Hey Stuart.......

Ace
Ha ha! Yeah they work great!!!

Will definitely be using this method on the drivers side!

Almost as good as a stick with a zip tie on the end to grab a wire in a cavity wall!

Stuart
Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 AM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Quote:
Hey Stuart.......

Ace
That's another UK 7 member with a fast-food nickname then....

Ace, what's your thoughts on this thread

Are these cheap ebay key programmers able to programme any key to access our cars and is it really only the Mar '07 > Sept '11 modules affected or is it more a case of BMW telling older drivers they're not affected (even though they are) to save $$$

Cheers
Old 09-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Banned

Hi Burgermeister,
I am looking in to it now.
With the chinese device I have I was able to code my blank key, but I never thought of going to another car.
The device I have reads the info from the CAS and then writes it to the key.
So I connect via the OBDII port.
The key has to be a blank key, meaning that the IC hasn't been programmed.
Once the IC is coded, it burns fuses off so it cant be reprogrammed again, hence why you need to replace the IC inside the key to re-code it again.
You cannot re-code an already coded key.
I never thought of doing this, it was just a way to make my own key.
Shows how different the criminal mind thinks to a normal persons mind.
hmmmmmm
So, I guess, yes, it is do-able.

Ace
Old 09-14-2012, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
Quote:
Hi Burgermeister,
I am looking in to it now.
With the chinese device I have I was able to code my blank key, but I never thought of going to another car.
The device I have reads the info from the CAS and then writes it to the key.
So I connect via the OBDII port.
The key has to be a blank key, meaning that the IC hasn't been programmed.
Once the IC is coded, it burns fuses off so it cant be reprogrammed again, hence why you need to replace the IC inside the key to re-code it again.
You cannot re-code an already coded key.
I never thought of doing this, it was just a way to make my own key.
Shows how different the criminal mind thinks to a normal persons mind.
hmmmmmm
So, I guess, yes, it is do-able.

Ace
Thanks again Ace
Old 09-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Banned

I wonder what BMW is offering us pre 2011 owners to upgrade our security systems

First, the CRIMINAL SCUM BAG that wants to steal your ride because he is such a LAZY AR*E HOLE AND WONT WORK TO EARN HIS RIDE needs to gain access to the car, and my car has the BMW internal ultra-sonic alarm, so to break in in the first place, that would trigger the ultra-sonic alarm.

In that video on the BBC, the female reporter is already sitting in the car, so the ultra-sonics and alarm is already off.

To test your ultra-sonic detection. Leave your window down, lock your car and then wait about 30 - 45 secs. Then place you arm through the open window and your alarm should go off..... remember is squealing loud so be prepared.

But I will find out as quickly as I can what BMW is proposing.

Ace

Last edited by AceFX; 09-14-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Banned

And also the comment about the Comfort Access key transmitting all the time...... well it only has a range of about 750mm (a little over two feet) so to get the code from your key the CRIMINAL SCUM BAG would literally be having to hug you..... and you would notice that!

Ace
Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
What a shame
Old 09-15-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I wonder what BMW is offering us pre 2011 owners to upgrade our security systems

First, the CRIMINAL SCUM BAG that wants to steal your ride because he is such a LAZY AR*E HOLE AND WONT WORK TO EARN HIS RIDE needs to gain access to the car, and my car has the BMW internal ultra-sonic alarm, so to break in in the first place, that would trigger the ultra-sonic alarm.

In that video on the BBC, the female reporter is already sitting in the car, so the ultra-sonics and alarm is already off.

To test your ultra-sonic detection. Leave your window down, lock your car and then wait about 30 - 45 secs. Then place you arm through the open window and your alarm should go off..... remember is squealing loud so be prepared.

But I will find out as quickly as I can what BMW is proposing.

Ace
Ace,

Are you referring to the UK consumer programme that was on TV this week? Where they supposedly showed a new key being programmed to an M3 in just over 2 mins?

Have you seen the video going around (that was also featured on the programme) where a white 1M was stolen in 3 mins?! They manged to somehow break or cut the glass without the alarm going off!

This has resulted in a large number of thefts in the UK, and I'm sure making many owners worried!

Anyway, on a more positive note, I have tried out my bench test utility I have built, the Passive Go module is the first test subject!

The Passive Go module wired up to my test box

Using INPA to read the module identity, part number etc...

Found a cool antenna test function, you can hear the relays inside the module click as it attempts to test each antenna, obviously there are errors on all antennas!

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 09-15-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 750i
Been away from Bimmerfest for a while, busy replacing the entertainment system in the Boxster... now that fall is approaching top-down motoring is getting chilly so the comfort of the E65 beckons again

Anyway - Stuart's pictures made me realize how much electronics and wiring there is in these cars. Holy mackerel; looks like what you'll see if you start removing ceiling panels on an A380...

Last edited by politby; 09-18-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Boy o boy I would love to fly the massive A380, even though I'm no big Fan of Airbus.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 750i
If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going?

The wife and I flew on the 380 a few weeks ago (on SQ) when we took a weekend trip to Singapore. Pretty impressive but my favorite widebody is still the 747. No other aircraft has the same poise.

I travel 100 days a year, mostly around Europe so I don't get on the big ones all that often. But I prefer the small jets' agility, my favorite is the baby Skidoo (Bombardier CRJ)