Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-08-2012, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530XI
Failed CCC (my experience)

I am not looking for help with a recently failed CCC but figured I would share my experience.

After spending a day washing my car and having my doors open for several hours I drained my 5 year old battery.

Replaced the battery by spec and was left with nonfunctioning Car Communication Computer (CCC), the only sign of life was the BMW Splash Screen which always appeared while the car was on and running. The iDrive control was freewheeling.

I took it to an independent BMW mechanic, after watching the tech fumble with the computer appliance like a child with his first erector set I found little confidence in his words when he told me that I needed a new computer, that will be $100 dollars for the diagnostic analysis, thank you and please do not let the door slap you in the ass on the way out. Over several weeks I tried resetting the CCC and disconnecting the battery but to no avail.

So I searched this forum and found information relating to replacing my own CCC and more information on INPA, CARSOFT and PROGMAN. I paid 45 dollars for a cable and downloaded all three software packages, used the forum to configure and use the software (make a very long story short) and was able to get the software to work. Using INPA I accessed the CCC and reset \ activate all which related to CCC really not knowing what I was doing but had very little to lose since I was ready at this point to replace the CCC. I shut the car off for several moments and when I turned on the ignition wow there she was, life was back in my machine.

The one symptom of my failed CCC that made me reluctant to run out and replace it was the fact that the BMW Splash Screen always stayed on.
Ads by Google
Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Old Timer (Really)

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
Great job! We don't often hear such a success story when dealing with the CCC.

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Mike Swing

Send a message via AIM to Mike Swing
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 530i
Awesome and congrats. Always feels good when you get something done on your own.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Yeoman's work! Must leave you with a very satisfied feeling (and more than a few shekels in your pocket). You're now master of your own diagnostic fate.
Good to hear we are not always beholden to the $tealers or Indies.

What OS did you install the software on? I have heard that most of the diagnostic software likes XP.
I tried installing on Win7 Pro without much luck.

Here's to your persistence and hard work.
Cheers!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:39 PM

You are better off using VMWARE which will allow you to host an XP OS on your windows 7 machine. Even if your laptop is 64bit the hosted XP OS will be 32bit. Additionally you really do not want to dedicate you laptop to only one function which progman will do, the VMWare keeps this from happening.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3, 04 545i, 05 Mini
Bostoned, Thanks for your post! I too am having the same problem, told the same thing, etc. I am going to try your route as I too have nothing to loose at this point (I already spent approx $1,500 for a new computer 3 years ago and I refuse to again without trying myself first).

Can you please tell me the type of cable you used and where you bought it? I believe we are in the same area, I am North of Boston. I did look myself before asking but I am having no luck with finding what type of cable I should be looking for...thanks in advance!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 AM

I bought the cable off of eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-...b475a7&vxp=mtr I recommend that you read their instructions to the letter when loading and configuring the cable to work on your laptop. The ebayer is located in Romania but I received the cable and software in 7 days via us postage. Also their email support was very responsive.

I read a number of posts regarding Computer failure and remember that my computer symptoms were slightly unique. Most victims of this problem complained that the screen was completely dead. Well, my screen illuminated the BMW splash screen while the car was running.

By the way my computer is still running great!!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:56 AM

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the link. Yes, mine is also showing the splash screen so I am hoping that we do have the same problem. I did end up finding the cable but like yours, they all seem to be outside the US. I will go with yours, 7 days doesn't seem bad. I was getting 2 weeks plus at some of the sites. I will post after I do! Thank you again. Happy Labor Day!

Last edited by XIL; 09-03-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 AM

I assume you have already tried to reset the computer holding the mute button.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 AM

Yes, multiple times.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:30 AM

Did ya ever get it going?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: M6
Hey Bostoned, I'm having the same issue w/ my CCC in my 07 E64.

I've gotten the cable, and downloaded NCS Expert (INPA, etc). All the posts in BMWcoding.com and other forums talk about Coding and changing options (which i really want to get into now)!
But I can't find out where to "reset/activate" the CCC like you did.

Can you direct me to some posts/instructions on how to "reset/active" my CCC (like yours, BMW Splash screen comes on, but then gets stuck a "no mobile device installed") - so the CCC still runs.

Thanks in advance
Jeff
Old 11-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostoned View Post

After spending a day washing my car and having my doors open for several hours I drained my 5 year old battery.
You can deactivate the interior lights permanently by holding down the overhead light button for about 5-10 seconds. Reactivation only requires to push the same button once briefly.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather, COBB tune
Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcheun4 View Post
Hey Bostoned, I'm having the same issue w/ my CCC in my 07 E64.

Can you direct me to some posts/instructions on how to "reset/active" my CCC (like yours, BMW Splash screen comes on, but then gets stuck a "no mobile device installed") - so the CCC still runs.

Thanks in advance
Jeff
I can't find those instructions either. A search for CCC didn't help.
Did you ever figure it out?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: e39
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I would love to get more info on this; I am in the same boat.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:51 AM

Wow, that was some time ago, my idrive is still fine. Can you tell me what events took place prior to the idrive going down?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 AM

Unfortunately, I do not recall specifically what I did, I do remember using INPA and at a point where I was reckless and decided to reset any option I could find under CCC in INPA.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I was removing my steering wheel so I unhooked the battery to not have any altercations with the airbag and my face. When we Both wire and battery terminal were protected during the time they were removed. After reconnecting everything in the car was fine but the iDrive feel into it's current state:

It starts up (you can hear the drive spinning) and the BMW splash screen comes on and after 10-15 seconds the screen shuts off and you can hear the whole system reboot, after rebooting the whole cycle continues endlessly. I have tried the 3 button reset in multiple ways, multiple times, with no success. I am at the point of searching for a new computer and then I found your post about your FrankeniDrive resurrection. Although I have no experience with coding I have a couple programs and a cable.

Thanks for the help,
Evan
Old 01-17-2014, 01:03 PM

I am at work but this weekend I will reconnect my INPA and identify the exact steps I made.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM

Awesome thanks. I sent you my email in a personal message if you prefer. Looking forward to hearing back from you!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 535i X drive
Great job.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 AM

@Bostoned Hope you had a great weekend, any update?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: '07 e90
@Bostoned - Interested in your steps that you took as well. I was fueling up listening to music on USB and the playback started to skip, like a scratched CD and then the audio completely stopped. The display now just says 'Loading data from the Audio device...'. FM, AM, SAT, CD, and AUX are not selectable. I can view nav, and vehicle stats but audio is non-functioning. I've tried to reset (holding down mute and CD eject buttons simultaneously) the CCC but it just boots back up to BMW screen then to home nav screen with 'SOS call system malfunction!". When I go to 'Entertainment' the 'Loading data from the Audio device...' is shown (as described above).

Ordered the cable found here: http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

I just received the shipping notice today so I should receive it within the next few weeks.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: E60 M5
@Bostoned On the same boat here, would really appreciate if you took us step by step, if it's not an inconvenience.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:40 AM

Mein Auto: 528xi
Bostoned - any chance you're still hanging around the forum and can post your step to reprogram CCC? I have the same issue and have just ordered the cable and software. It looks like you used INPA, so I'll go and start researching that. Appreciate any help, as I'm tooling around with not only no Nav, but no radio. Can always use my smart phone.