Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i.F30 335i
Silver or Saphire black

Hey guys.

My car has not entered production yet. I'm thinking about changing the color from silver to black. What do you think?
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2012, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Black is the hardest color to keep looking good. Silver is one of the easiest.

Ask yourself how much you feel like committing to keeping it clean.
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 07-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
No question that black is a PITA to keep looking good. I like silver too, great color, makes the creases and body lines on the car really pop. My wife hates silver so I got black.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:19 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheikh82 View Post
Hey guys.

My car has not entered production yet. I'm thinking about changing the color from silver to black. What do you think?

Go right down the middle and get Mineral Grey.

The best of both worlds.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 07-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: AH5 "13
Being honest I had a choice between all and i clearly chose alpine white it just looked sooo pretty!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
Black is the hardest color to keep looking good. Silver is one of the easiest.

Ask yourself how much you feel like committing to keeping it clean.
Very good point. My car will not be garaged. I guess black would be lots of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
No question that black is a PITA to keep looking good. I like silver too, great color, makes the creases and body lines on the car really pop. My wife hates silver so I got black.
LOL. I was in the same situation. I first wanted to go with white but my wife said no no. So I ordered silver, but yesterday I saw a black F30 looking really sweet. Now I'm confused.

Your comments about black being hard to keep clean seems to be what everyone tells me though.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCarBuying View Post
Being honest I had a choice between all and i clearly chose alpine white it just looked sooo pretty!
I hear you. I wanted that white with the coral red so bad. But.....Gotta make the other half happy sometimes.lol
Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Very good point. My car will not be garaged. I guess black would be lots of work.

LOL. I was in the same situation. I first wanted to go with white but my wife said no no. So I ordered silver, but yesterday I saw a black F30 looking really sweet. Now I'm confused.

Your comments about black being hard to keep clean seems to be what everyone tells me though.
Quote:
I hear you. I wanted that white with the coral red so bad. But.....Gotta make the other half happy sometimes.lol
Get the white with the Coral Red. Your wife will get over it and it will grow on her. In six months she will love it. Who will be driving the car on a daily basis?

I guess my color combo choice might really send her over the edge, Melbourne Red with Coral Red. And my response would be, "Honey, this car is for me to drive."

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 07-08-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

I have a Silver X3 and a Black Sapphire F30 I pref err the Black Sapphire. This is my 2nd Black Sapphire BMW and IMO its not as hard as some make it out to be to keep clean. As a matter of fact the Black Sapphire is the easy est of all the blacks to keep clean so I've been told. Good luck in what ever you chose. If I didn't get Black
I would have gotten Mineral Gray.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 07-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Get the white with the Coral Red. Your wife will get over it and it will grow on her. In six months she will love it. Who will be driving the car on a daily basis?

I guess my color combo choice might really send her over the edge, Melbourne Red with Coral Red. And my response would be, "Honey, this car is for me to drive."
Haha yeah the "honey" part works
Unless shes gonna drive it too

Why doesn't she like the white?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:47 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
My neighbor has a silver E90 335 M-sport. It looks really slick. Unless I owned a pro detailing shop I would never own a black car.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 07-08-2012, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
No question that black is a PITA to keep looking good. I like silver too, great color, makes the creases and body lines on the car really pop.
For all these new chiseled exteriors, black isn't a great choice for that exact reason. It kind of hides the sculpted details of the body. Black looks better on more rounded exteriors INHO.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Would black with white strips down the body make sense has anyone made one simlar yet?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 328i sedan
Haha, I feel your pain OP. Color was one of the biggest factor for me in a car. Fortunately for me, I knew what I wanted straight up. Alpine White.

All I can say is, all the BMWs colors look great. No matter what color you get, it won't be wrong. Just look at all of them and go with your heart. Aside from my favorite color, I would have compromised on a few others: silver looks good, grey looks especially lethal, mineral white is awesome too and close to white but not quite. Your wife may be able to compromise on mineral white. Black looks amazing after a good wash/detail, but like you I've heard that you have to detail it more often to get it to keep looking good.

Good luck with your decision.

Edit: I would not put stripes on a BMW. It makes it look boy racer and not as refined. It just tarnished the look in my opinion.

Last edited by seacow2001; 07-08-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Would black with white strips down the body make sense has anyone made one simlar yet?

Go for it. Helps with the gas mileage too.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

Go for it. Helps with the gas mileage too.

BJ

Ahhh youre funny

Where local will they do these kind of paint jobs?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Why doesn't she like the white?
I don't even think she knows why. Lol it beats me.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks for all the answers. I will just flip a coin and be done with it. I wish I could afford two new cars, that would solve the problem.

Tturedraider: red on red, I would love to see pics of that combo.

Seacow: mineral white would have been an easy choice if it was available with msport.

Last edited by cheikh82; 07-08-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
Mineral gray, like the one guy said....and Coral Red.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 328i sedan
Umm I just looked at the BMW NA configuration. I can select both mineral grey and mineral white with the M-sport. Are you sure about it not being an option? I would ask your CA again, or call BMW and get the answer from the horse's mouth itself so to speak.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacow2001 View Post
Umm I just looked at the BMW NA configuration. I can select both mineral grey and mineral white with the M-sport. Are you sure about it not being an option? I would ask your CA again, or call BMW and get the answer from the horse's mouth itself so to speak.
You are correct for mineral grey. I will double check for mineral white maybe I made a mistake. Hope you're right, that would be sweet.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
For all these new chiseled exteriors, black isn't a great choice for that exact reason. It kind of hides the sculpted details of the body. Black looks better on more rounded exteriors INHO.
+1.

Ever notice that the only people who say "nothing looks better than a clean black car" always own...wait for it... black cars?

The very best design feature on the post-Bangle BMW's are the sculpted, beveled side panels combined with the metallic paint. Under any lighting condition, you get a really cool gradient color effect from all the curve/edge shadows and metal flakes under the clearcoat and that's completely lost on the black versions. If you look at the Mineral Grey side-view photo (few posts above) you can see that effect very clearly, makes the car very dimensional and interesting vs. the competition. I decided against Imperial Blue too, for just this reason.

My opinion- knowing it's not popular- is that black is the worst color for the F30 because it swallows up all the body curves and body shadows and forces the eye to just the body form which isn't that interesting. It's not about showing dirt or not; it's about voiding a necessary and important design cue.

BJ

Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
You are correct for mineral grey. I will double check for mineral white maybe I made a mistake. Hope you're right, that would be sweet.
You are correct. No Mineral White with M Sport. If your wife is cool with Mineral White then I say again get white. After the car arrives don't mention to her it's not Mineral White. When, and if, she notices tell her they changed it automatically at the factory, because it was an M Sport car. As I said, she'll get over it and in six months she'll love the Alpine White and the Coral Red and be amazed at how smart you truly are.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
You are correct. No Mineral White with M Sport. If your wife is cool with Mineral White then I say again get white. After the car arrives don't mention to her it's not Mineral White. When, and if, she notices tell her they changed it automatically at the factory, because it was an M Sport car. As I said, she'll get over it and in six months she'll love the Alpine White and the Coral Red and be amazed at how smart you truly are.
Haha. Sound like something she will fall for. I might just do that.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
. . . in six months she'll love the Alpine White and the Coral Red and be amazed at how smart you truly are.
Or she knows what she likes and will hate it.