Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: Supercharged E36 318IC
New Member with E36 "Stuck hood" problem

Hi Everyone!
I,ve been a BMW enthusiast since 1976
Started out with a brand new 1976 2002 I purchased in December of 1975
After 60,000 I rebuilt the engine to eliminate what BMW referred to "normal" oil consumption issue. (Was burning through a Qt. of 20-50 Castrol GTX every 1500 to 200 miles!)
Bored the block to accept higher compression HP TII European Mahle pistons with new rings
replaced all bearings and re-machined the original oil pump face to boost pressure since it was not up to factory specs. Installed Webber dual throat mechanical carb on it with new TII full mechanical advance distributor, a Bosche HP coil and silicone wires and finished it off with a new Sprint tubular header with a full flow non restrictive K&N air filter assembly to make it "breath" better.
Car ran great after the re-build! Used to blow off high emissions laden 1970's V8's with it!! Lots of fun and very reliable after the rebuild. Never burned a drop of oil after all the hard work.
Currently own a 1994 318IC that I installed a Downing Atlanta 62CI Supercharger and K&N kit on it at 80,000 without doing anything else to the engine.
Currently have 190,000 on this car and it runs like a 6 series with the mileage of a 4!
Today I went to check my oil and found out the hood cable release was not "releasing the hood"!
After reading about all the horror stories of what people are telling you to do to effect a repair I decided to try to fix it "my way"
I guess I got lucky because all I had to do was remove the drivers side cornering light assembly, reach up and pull down on the cable and "bingo" the hood released.
After looking thing over, I found that the cable was NOT in fact broken, only that the cable seemed to be moving around too freely when the cable release lever was pulled.
After installing 6" of high pressure fuel line over the cable where it made the right angle bend to run along the front upper radiator and hood latch support cross member, and securing it tightly to the cross member with some large black plastic zip ties, the problem was solved. (Of course I also applied white lithium spray grease to all the components of the cable release mechanisms and secondary safety latch before closing the hood after I had someone operate the hood release lever to make sure everything was operating correctly before closing the hood to the fully locked position.)
Just want everyone to know that you might not have to "disassemble" the front of your E36 if the cable release doesn't work!
I didn't even need to use any tools to remove the side corner light assembly! Just "pull" ?slide the amber lens forward and the light should come loose from the fender.
I knew this because that's how I change out my cornering bulbs whenever they need to be serviced.
Maybe you too will get "lucky" like me and all it is is a "sloppy" cable that needs to be secured to the car! Even if your cable is broken at the handle end, all you need to do is clamp some vise grip pliers to squeeze the cable tightly and you can get the same result I did! At least you will be able to open your hood to install a new cable!
Hope this helps someone from drilling holes in their hood like some guy said he did to his car on You Tube who was explaining how HE repaired HIS hood release cable!
Happy Motoring to All!!!!
Ads by Google