Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: MINI F55 (Coming Soon)
Exploring Other CODING Options

So, I know that everyone pretty much knows where to find the most common options. But there's a lot of hidden settings that I'm trying to figure out and document. This is based on my 2016 F55, but should be applicable to more than just that (any F56-based car and probably other BMW models as well)

I have started tonight working through the HU_NBT_EVO ECU. I am not yet done, and I don't have descriptions for everything - so I really want to finish some of this out. If you have ideas, please either message me or write in this post! And if you're willing to help out with additional ECUs, I'd really appreciate it.

LINK TO MY FILE (view only right now)

I'm trying to figure it out as I go (without breaking my new car), so...
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2015, 12:04 PM

DISCOVERY NUMBER 1

Enable JCW Tachometer in HUD

Requirements: F-Series MINI Cooper or Cooper S, Heads-Up Display. Probably also requires Visual Boost.

This will probably work on any F-Series vehicle with a HUD. I cannot make any promises, but as long as your software has the commands below, it should work.

Go to HU_NBT_EVO (I cannot help if you don't have HU_NBT_EVO, but I would suggest looking for similar terms).

Under 300C > HUD, set HUD_SPORTANZEIGE_ENABLE, HUD_SPORTANZEIGE_FES_ENABLE, and HUD_SPORTANZEIGE_MS_GASSE_ENABLE to AKTIV.

(Alternatively, it may be possible to use "300C > HUD > HUD_M" and set that to ACTIV. Turning both on creates menu items in the HUD menu for M View and Sports Gauges; Sports Gauges gives more options.)

Next, go to KOMBI and under 3003 > FZG_Aussttang, set HUD_SPORTANZEIGE_ENABLE, HUD_SPORTANZEIGE_FES_ENABLE, and HUD_SPORTANZEIGE_MS_GASSE_ENABLE to AKTIV. I also enabled HUD_FAHRSTUFE_ENABLE - but I'm not sure what that does.

FYI
I don't speak or read German but I do have Google Translate. My guess is that the three commands that are shifted to AKTIV are for the three options in the HUD menu:
  • Sports Display
    • In Sports Mode
    • With Shifter in S

This is based on Google Translate. FAHRSTUFE is translated as "Gear" - so it probably is the gear indicator in the HUD.

Last edited by patchmonkey; 11-18-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Any pics?
Old 11-18-2015, 12:29 PM

I will add this evening once I can get to the vehicle again.

Pics added...

(EDIT: Didn't realize how big these were when posted! Sorry. Resized dynamically to 1000x564.)

Last edited by patchmonkey; 11-19-2015 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Resized pictures.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:04 PM

Added.

Also on NAM.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmonkey View Post
Added.

Also on NAM.
Nice: so the M-View gives you the speed, speed limit, tachometer and gear like on M cars. I wonder why the checkbox is not on by default.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: F31 2015
Did somebody test it on f10 / f30 etc.?
Old 11-19-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackPL View Post
Did somebody test it on f10 / f30 etc.?
No, but I'm sure that you can test and report back? Keep in mind that this may not work if the KOMBI in your vehicle is substantially different than the KOMBI in an F55/F56. I'd guess, but not promise, that this could be achieved on any 2013 or later BMW as well - you'd have to test it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Nice: so the M-View gives you the speed, speed limit, tachometer and gear like on M cars. I wonder why the checkbox is not on by default.
Well, actually, I'm not sure about that. I know that the "Sport Display" allows those to be shown and that "Sport Display" and "M View" turn on at the same time (they're the same function, different name).

I'm going to remove M View from my coding, however, since it doesn't offer anything (actually, it offers less than Sport Display because it doesn't have the conditional options). Having the Sport Display/M View active, at least in my 2016 F55, turns off the Navigation in the HUD - there's no more space for it, I'd say, and unless I'm in Sport Mode or M/S, there's no need for an additional tachometer (keep in mind that F56-series MINIs can use the Center Instrument (the circular led display) as a tachometer as well).

Additional Code 2: ENABLING SET TIME/DATE AUTOMATICALLY

Again, bear in mind that this works on an F55/F56 and has not been tested elsewhere.

In HU_NBT_EVO: Under 3000 HMI, set CLOCK_CHANGE_AUTOMATIC and SETTINGS_TIME_AUTOMATIC to aktiv (default is nicht_active).

In KOMBI: Under 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration, set GPS_UHR to aktiv (default is nicht_active).

Once this is coded, if you go to the clock settings, you will be able to activate "automatic time setting". It may take a few minutes.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Well, actually, I'm not sure about that. I know that the "Sport Display" allows those to be shown and that "Sport Display" and "M View" turn on at the same time (they're the same function, different name).

I'm going to remove M View from my coding, however, since it doesn't offer anything (actually, it offers less than Sport Display because it doesn't have the conditional options). Having the Sport Display/M View active, at least in my 2016 F55, turns off the Navigation in the HUD - there's no more space for it, I'd say, and unless I'm in Sport Mode or M/S, there's no need for an additional tachometer (keep in mind that F56-series MINIs can use the Center Instrument (the circular led display) as a tachometer as well).
The fact that the "Sport Display" option affects the HUD on the Mini explains why the "M View" option in not on by default. On BMW M's, the "Sport Display" option only affects the iDrive display, not the HUD. For HUD, you only have two choices:
  • M View only gives you speed, speed limit, tachometer and gear selection. All additional info (such as navigation directions or CD track selection) is shown in the instrument cluster.
  • Non-M View does not show the tachometer or gear selection in the HUD, but you get the option of showing all the additional info.

Quote:

Again, bear in mind that this works on an F55/F56 and has not been tested elsewhere.

In HU_NBT_EVO: Under 3000 HMI, set CLOCK_CHANGE_AUTOMATIC and SETTINGS_TIME_AUTOMATIC to aktiv (default is nicht_active).

In KOMBI: Under 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration, set GPS_UHR to aktiv (default is nicht_active).

Once this is coded, if you go to the clock settings, you will be able to activate "automatic time setting". It may take a few minutes.
Again, it is odd that this is not on by default on the Mini.

Last edited by dmnc02; 11-19-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Again, it is odd that this is not on by default on the Mini.
Probably because you can get a MINI without navigation (and, unfortunately for us US folks, without telematics); I'd assume that BMWs can read the local time from either the cellular connection or GPS.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 430d GC
Hi,

Not working on a F36. I can see the options in the HUD display options after coding the three params in HU_NBT_EVO. I do not have the params in KOMBI

Activating M-view or sport display has no effect.

Zib
Old 11-19-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
Hi,

Not working on a F36. I can see the options in the HUD display options after coding the three params in HU_NBT_EVO. I do not have the params in KOMBI

Activating M-view or sport display has no effect.

Zib
The KOMBI units on M cars are different: you need an M-KOMBI to enable the M View in the HUD.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 430d GC
Quote:
The KOMBI units on M cars are different: you need an M-KOMBI to enable the M View in the HUD.
Yes I know that the HW is different for the M-view but I was hoping to have at least something more sexy with the sport display. Maybe both are linked

Zib

Last edited by Zib; 11-19-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:24 AM

Mein Auto: mini F56
Great I will test that this weekend !
Old 05-11-2016, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: Mini F56
Quote:

I'm actually having trouble with this simple coding. When I have it enabled, my time zone is set to UHT (GMT) and not my current time zone. Does anyone know how I can get it to read my time zone correctly? Thanks!
Old 08-23-2016, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535i M Sport
Quote:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just confirming that my '16 F10 won't be able to show tach in the HUD, because the KOMBI hardware is different? There are several coding options there but I don't want to mess with them for no benefit.

Thanks

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search