Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:51 AM

Mein Auto: 118i
BMW Live/Internet not working

Hi everybody

I have a 2013 F20 118i, with Business Nav and Extended Bluetooth.

I'm trying to FDL code BMW Live, so I can use my phone's data connection for Internet etc.
(BMW Assist isn't available in my country, so I don't think there's any other way to get Internet)

I've coded the following options:

HU_CHAMP2 - 3000 - ONLINE_BROWSER_LIVE - aktiv
HU_CHAMP2 - 3000 - ONLINE_BROWSER - nur_bmw_internet_aktiv
HU_CHAMP2 - 3003 - DUN_PROFILE - aktiv
HU_CHAMP2 - 3003 - PAN_PROFILE - aktiv
HU_CHAMP2 - 3003 - BT_DATA_SERVICE - aktiv
CMB_MEDIA - 3001 - DUN_PROFILE - aktiv
CMB_MEDIA - 3001 - PAN_PROFILE - aktiv

In the Bluetooth settings there's an option (now selected) to use my phone's data, but when I try and open either BMW Live or Internet I get the message "Browser not activated. Please contact Service." (see image)

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6359.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	445217  
Ads by Google
Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Your VIN is not Whitelisted / Provisioned to use BMW Live & Internet though BMW's server.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Would the car first have to connect to the BMW servers to determine whether the VIN was allowed/provisioned?

When I select BMW Live or Internet, the car doesn't seem to make any attempt to actually use the phone's data (no indication on the car's screen or on the phone), so I was hoping it might be another option that I forgot to code or something...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-11-2014, 11:14 PM

Yes, I believe so, and if it fails provisioning, it won't enable BT Data Connection on phone.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 06-11-2014, 11:20 PM

The thing is, I don't think the car ever actually connected to the Internet?

When I selected BMW Live for the first time after coding, there was no 'connecting' screen or indication on the phone that the tethering was being used- it just went straight to the 'browser not activated' screen.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 PM

The Head Unit gets provisioned each time you hit "Update Services". Until an "Update Services" is performed from a Head Unit / Combox that has a Whitelisted VIN, BMW Live and Internet will not be enabled, and as long is they are not enabled, the Head Unit will not establish a BT Data connection with the phone. The only way it has ever been successfully coded is by writing a fake Whitelisted VIN to the Head Unit / Combox.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:14 AM

Hm OK- I just hit update services, and the data connection started and the car said 'updated successfully', but nothing else seems to have changed.

I guess I might have to look into changing the Combox VIN.

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-12-2014, 02:40 AM

Mein Auto: F32 435i
Well you got further than me. The data connection on mine works with my iPhone - personal hotspot is enabled on the iPhone and it is being used when I hit "Update Services", however it keeps connecting and disconnecting every few minutes, and it says data transfer failed or something like that. Never says updated successfully.

I think it connects to the BMW servers, sees my VIN is not provisioned for BMW Live, and kicks me out.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F30 316i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adw_w View Post
I guess I might have to look into changing the Combox VIN.
Any ideas on how to do that? I have the same problem (I'm in Australia)
Old 07-11-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.page View Post
Any ideas on how to do that? I have the same problem (I'm in Australia)
With NBT Head Unit and integrated Combox, it is not possible.

With Standalone Combobox, it is CMB_MEDIA => TELEMATIK_VIN = Coding_VIN.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:52 PM

Thanks Shawn.. So next obvious question, how would one go about knowing what white listed VIN to put in?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Look for VIN with Option Code 614.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:46 AM

Hi Shawn - I was trying to code this up, and got to the part in your instructions where you say to change the VIN, save the FA as FA_VIN_FAKE and code CMB_MEDIA. I got a 'request out of range' error, which i've read that you've said is because I didn't code the TELEMATIK_VIN = CODING_VIN first, before changing the VIN. So I was going to try it again, but now when I go into ESys, CMB_MEDIA doesn't have a code-able option.. CAFDXXXXX isn't there any more. Help! Where has it gone?

Argh! Help! None of the media things in the car seem to work now.. Bluetooth / USB Media all just say "Not Connected".. Did I break my car?? Starting to freak out a little..

Last edited by ben.page; 07-12-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:34 AM

You have corrupted or deleted your CMB_MEDIA CAFD. You need to inject CAFD into it, VO Code it, and then you can FDL Code it afterwards.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:54 AM

Shawn - you're a lifesaver. So.. are there any howto's to describe what you said in a bit more detail?
Old 07-12-2014, 05:55 AM

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on CMB_MEDIA => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown => Select OK => Right-Click on CMB_MEDIA (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on CMB_MEDIA => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown => Select OK => Right-Click on CMB_MEDIA (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
Is this correct that he have to select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown
I thought he have to use the one that is flashed.
I mean if he has newer pszdata then flashed ones, he have to use corresponding one,not the latest

Or am i wrong?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:27 AM

He can use latest one or one matching his I-Step current. It's not all that important.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Thankyou Shawn! whew.. everything back to normal. OK learning more about this as I go! Just as well I kept a record of things I changed in CMB_MEDIA.. will try to get internet working again soon, once I calm down a bit..
Old 07-12-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.page View Post
Thankyou Shawn! whew.. everything back to normal. OK learning more about this as I go! Just as well I kept a record of things I changed in CMB_MEDIA.. will try to get internet working again soon, once I calm down a bit..