Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Switch brake lights off when Auto-Hold is active

Hello

Is it possible to switch-off brake lights when Auto-Hold function is active...?
I mean, when car is motionless using Auto-Hold, brake lights are on all the time when the car is stopped...
I would like to switch it off when standstill.

regards

Last edited by Pzy; 09-12-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2014, 11:40 PM

I found "old" thread similar to main
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=637371

I understand that there are different behavior on the street between US and Europe.
But in fact in Europe most drivers do not use brake lights when car is stopped - only when braking before stopping.
In Europe is more manual gearbox so I guess this is the cause. In any case, shining brake lights is unwelcome when the vehicle is motionless, for example, in a traffic jam.

Aside from custom or safety issues - whether it is at all an option available to turn off the brake lights when Auto-Hold function is active...?
Old 09-14-2014, 03:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzy View Post
Hello

Is it possible to switch-off brake lights when Auto-Hold function is active...?
I mean, when car is motionless using Auto-Hold, brake lights are on all the time when the car is stopped...
I would like to switch it off when standstill.

regards
I think this is really a nonsense. When the car is stopped by pressing the brake the light must be on for safety reason. It is against the law to do anything different.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:18 AM

I'm affraid that you do not understand me...

I don't want to disable breaking lights at all! It is completely not the case... no sense and very dangerous!
When I press a break pedal and breaking a car - it is clear that the breaking lights MUST light up!
Every time, when I breaking using pedal or only press the pedal without breaking (for example, when the car is motionless) - breaking lights of course MUST light up!

I mean only Auto-Hold function - it is the function associated with the parking brake. Isn't it?
Even the icon on the dashboard is the same as electrical handbrake: (P) only in green, not red.

For example - when you drive a car with a "normal" parking brake (handbrake lever, not electrical handbrake) and when you apply a handbrake lever - then no breaking lights are iluminated...
Of course, when the car is motionless with active parking break - even then you press the pedal, the breaking lights MUST iluminate!
But if we treat Auto-Hold as an automatic handbrake - then the breaking lights might not have to iluminate...

P.S.
In Europe there are a lot of Volkswagen Group cars... VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda... Bentley (these just not a lot)
The cars of these brands do not activate the braking lights when car is motionless using Auto-Hold... And this is normal behavior and is not considered unsafe...

Last edited by Pzy; 09-15-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzy View Post
P.S.
In Europe there are a lot of Volkswagen Group cars... VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda... Bentley (these just not a lot)
The cars of these brands do not activate the braking lights when car is motionless using Auto-Hold... And this is normal behavior and is not considered unsafe...
While true, it is considered unsafe in the US and VAG pulled it from all their cars here.
Old Today, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i (F30)
Question

Really basic questions, if I may. What is Auto-hold function? Is it standard or part of an option? Does it work with manual transmission? How do you engage it?

Again, appreciate your forebearance as I had not heard of this previously

Thank you

2014 328i |Premium| Technology| Cold Weather| Harmon Kardon Stereo| Manual|
BMW CCA
Old Today, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Auto-Hold (AUTO H) when enabled saves the driver from having to hold the brake down to prevent the car moving when when transmission is engaged (D, DS, or S1) and car is at a stop.

It is for Automatic Transmission only. For manual gear box, one would you just put the gear shift in neutral.

Click image for larger version

Name:	interieur_p90088856-b.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	464946 Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	464947

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; Today at 07:54 AM.
Old Today, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i (F30)
Shawn,

Thank you very much!

2014 328i |Premium| Technology| Cold Weather| Harmon Kardon Stereo| Manual|
BMW CCA