Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M5
Got my cable, got everything installed, coded some stuff on my 2013 BMW M5 US

Worked:
-DVD While Driving
-Turn Off iDrive Legal Disclaimer
-HUD Turn Signal

Didnt work:
-TPMS pressure didnt work for me.

Need Help With:
Unlock on engine off:
On ER_KEYOUT_AUTOVR I changed to Werte=01. When I turn the car off it unlocks the driver door only. Anyway to make it do passenger as well?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by ImpetuousRacer; 11-23-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 2011
For unlocking all doors, go to iDrive settings.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
For unlocking all doors, go to iDrive settings.
That worked. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: F30 320d
Eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I should have also mentioned that the iDrive checkbox is enabled with HU_CIC / DAYDRIVING_LIGHT = standard.
Thanks Shawn, thats where it was and now the jobs done. Not sure if the new 48.1 files helped or I was just blind the first time I looked, but alls well now.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomeller View Post
Thanks Shawn, thats where it was and now the jobs done. Not sure if the new 48.1 files helped or I was just blind the first time I looked, but alls well now.
Glad to hear it.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 11-26-2012, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535
Coding Help for Legal Disclaimers

First day coding. Somewhat painful but I solved my big issue which was turning OFF the Auto Off. I also made some other changes in terms of changing the Werte 00 to 01 for a few of the items that were on my hot list!

I am having some problems removing the legal disclaimers. Specifically, I am getting an error when i try to change ld_mit_timeout to kein_ld. It says invalid input when I try to save it.

I am also having trouble locating the remove Seat Belt from the ACSM module files if anyone has input on this as well.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymast View Post
First day coding. Somewhat painful but I solved my big issue which was turning OFF the Auto Off. I also made some other changes in terms of changing the Werte 00 to 01 for a few of the items that were on my hot list!

I am having some problems removing the legal disclaimers. Specifically, I am getting an error when i try to change ld_mit_timeout to kein_ld. It says invalid input when I try to save it.

I am also having trouble locating the remove Seat Belt from the ACSM module files if anyone has input on this as well.

Thanks!
Are you changing the Drop Down selection choice, or the actual Werte Values?

What is the name of your ACSM CAFD file?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Are you changing the Drop Down selection choice, or the actual Werte Values?

I didn't see a drop down box, so i just changed the values when it was 00 to 01, then saved it, etc. This didnt work when it was text ... how do I get to the drop downs?

What is the name of your ACSM CAFD file?
i wont be able to check on this until tomorrow.

Thx
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymast View Post
i wont be able to check on this until tomorrow.

Thx
You should only rarely be changing the actual Werte Value. Only for DVD in Motion, and very few FDL Codes where you change the Werte Value when it represents an actual value (e.g. milliseconds, volts, etc.), not when it represents a state (on/off).

To get the Dropdown box, right-click on ld_mit_timeout, and select Edit, then change it to kein_ld.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 000.png
Views:	157
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	351024  

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 11-26-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 PM

that was helpful, not sure why i didn't see that before. thanks.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe
Completed my first successful coding session last night! I would like to thank everyone on the forum for all of the great information and especially thank April1!!!

I coded the following after a FULL BACKUP:
DVD in Motion
Auto Start/Stop to start in the last used setting
Unlock doors when engine is stopped
Close mirrors, windows and moon roof through key fob and comfort access
iPhone ringtone is transferred to car
Opening doors (front and back) does not stop window operation
HUD Turn signals
HUD Entertainment List
HUD Phone List
iDrive legal disclaimer
Camera legal disclaimer
TPMS Add pressure and temperature
Digital Speed in BC

Once I got going it was extremely easy! Now to help the festers out here! I will be experimenting with some other functions as I spend more time reviewing all of the files, settings and translations.
I am in Lincoln, NE if anyone is in the surrounding area and wants to come to me for coding.

2013 650xi Gran Coupe (Born 07-19-2012) M-Sport w/ 20, Black Sapphire, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, Premium Sound, Ceramic Controls, HUD, Full LEDs, BMW Apps

BMWCCA Member
Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe
Sorry for the double post, just excited.

2013 650xi Gran Coupe (Born 07-19-2012) M-Sport w/ 20, Black Sapphire, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, Premium Sound, Ceramic Controls, HUD, Full LEDs, BMW Apps

BMWCCA Member

Last edited by coyote96; 12-04-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote96 View Post

Once I got going it was extremely easy! Now to help the festers out here! I will be experimenting with some other functions as I spend more time reviewing all of the files, settings and translations.
I am in Lincoln, NE if anyone is in the surrounding area and wants to come to me for coding.
My 5 Series satisfaction level went WAY up after disabling start / stop and enabling door unlock! Did you disable the seat belt warning? For some reason I could not find the file.

Last edited by skymast; 12-04-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
Random input, but I did not see this posted in any of the instructions, so I thought I would pass along:

The follwing is translated from the enet_doku.pdf found in the C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\ENET folder cable build manual:

Quote:
Documentation to ETHERNET Diagnosis Plug

Shield RJ45 to pin 4 and pin 5 OBD connector

Instructions for Operation Connection sequence for ETHERNET diagnostic connector for running from a computer:

First, the computer, and then connect to the vehicle.

Due to discharge static charge on leading ground pins
(Pin 4 and pin 5 on the OBD plug)

Because activation of Ethernet when connecting to the vehicle
(Pin 8 and pin 16 on the OBD plug)
So to be safe, we should be using the shielded cable with pins 4 and 5 grounded to the RJ45 (shield) and we should plug into the computer first and then into the OBD II port...

While this probably hasn't been an issue for anyone using a shielded cable or not, I would hate to be the unlucky one to transmit a static shock to the car / ECU .

Last edited by Glock 32; 12-04-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 32 View Post
Random input, but I did not see this posted in any of the instructions, so I thought I would pass along:

The follwing is translated from the enet_doku.pdf found in the C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\ENET folder cable build manual:

So to be safe, we should be using the shielded cable with pins 4 and 5 grounded to the RJ45 (shield) and we should plug into the computer first and then into the OBD II port...

While this probably hasn't been an issue for anyone using a shielded cable or not, I would hate to be the unlucky one to transmit a static shock to the car / ECU .
Well, number me guilty. I have coded over 50 cars, and my own car probably more than 50 times by itself, and not once have I ever connected ENET to my laptop first. Every time I connect to OBDII first, then I get in the car and sit in the driver's seat and then connect my laptop. I Guess I've just been lucky.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2011
Laptops usually remain floating even if 3pin power adapter is connected. In such cases its all the same if you connect the cable first to laptop or to the car. Car is also not connected to earth though its huge mass acts as an artificial earth but it can't discharge it's accumulated charge on its own.

I agree in a perfect and ideal coding conditions, laptop/ testing m/c and car should be earthed and cable should be discharged for any static before its use.

Main purpose of a shield is to protect external noise entering into test setup.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Fplanner2000

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix Mpkge,etc; RRv
Anyone coding in the Denver area? 2011 550ix m-sport, etc.
550ix, Dark Graphite Metallic II, M-package, Dinan Stage 2, 20" wheels, conven pkge, cold weather pkge, Prem Pkge 2, Paddle Shifters, vent seat pkge, sport transm pkge, fold-dn rear seat, etc. Black Dakota Leather, Light Wood trim
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
The simple act of touching your laptop and touching any part of the vehicle chassis for a few seconds is more than enough to neutralize any electrical differences before connecting cables. Making sure the laptop touches the car (either directly or through your body) will do the trick. During dry weather the risk will be a little more.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:36 PM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
If you buy a cable you should be able to get going pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplanner2000 View Post
Anyone coding in the Denver area? 2011 550ix m-sport, etc.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 M6, 2013 x3 35i
Really interested in this, but also really worried about messing up my new X3. This seems a little intimidating, but I work in IT so I'm fairly confident I could succeed with patience. As long as I have adequate backups I will be able to fix anything I could mess up, correct? Thanks all.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellg85 View Post
Really interested in this, but also really worried about messing up my new X3. This seems a little intimidating, but I work in IT so I'm fairly confident I could succeed with patience. As long as I have adequate backups I will be able to fix anything I could mess up, correct? Thanks all.
It is pretty safe, but on rare occasion, I have seen people mess up their VCM so bad, it had to go to the dealer. Of course if you move from coding to flashing firmware on modules, you could brick an ECU. Again, this is rare, and I would not let it discourage you from coding your X3, but I am not going to lie to you and say it is 100% risk free either.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 PM

Mein Auto: F01
I must admit - from NCS Expert and WinFPK on E vehicles back when no one was doing it was so tough. I have had DIS working and SSS Progman working as well.

Esys is so damn easy! No text editing, no complicated EDIABAS set ups, etc etc.

I will continue to investigate modules and post up new info for F01 drivers. Mostly F10 in this forum!

Big thanks to Shawn for the software.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatxx87 View Post
I must admit - from NCS Expert and WinFPK on E vehicles back when no one was doing it was so tough. I have had DIS working and SSS Progman working as well.

Esys is so damn easy! No text editing, no complicated EDIABAS set ups, etc etc.

I will continue to investigate modules and post up new info for F01 drivers. Mostly F10 in this forum!

Big thanks to Shawn for the software.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:48 PM

Mein Auto: F01
Quote:
I remember the millions of PMS I got back in the day. Now it's my turn heh.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 M6, 2013 x3 35i
Quote:
It is pretty safe, but on rare occasion, I have seen people mess up their VCM so bad, it had to go to the dealer. Of course if you move from coding to flashing firmware on modules, you could brick an ECU. Again, this is rare, and I would not let it discourage you from coding your X3, but I am not going to lie to you and say it is 100% risk free either.
Thanks for the reassurance! Maybe I will feel brave enough to give it a try!

How taboo is this really with BMW? What do you do when you take the car in
for service given this 'may' invalidate the warranty? Would they know that you've made changes and would they give you a hard time about it?

Also for a leased vehicle would you restore to factory defaults before turning back in?